Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

'75 FXE Charging Test - 4 pin stator?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2018, 02:41 PM
Chris Sigo
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default '75 FXE Charging Test - 4 pin stator?

Not getting a charge on my shovelhead, stock setup stator and regulator. I know how to check the 2 pin style (like Evo) for stator failure and regulator failure, but not sure what pins to check on this older 4 pin style.

Thanks!

Old 09-28-2018, 03:58 PM
mmesa005
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 737 Likes on 704 Posts

Hopefully this will help with the diagnosis?

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
75 FXE Charging.pdf (2.03 MB, 128 views)
Old 09-28-2018, 08:53 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,917 Likes on 17,474 Posts

My 4 pin 72 used to go through regulators about every 2 or 3 years, smoked 2 stators too. Finally dumped it and went to the evo 32amp setup, best thing I ever did for it electrically.

Old 09-29-2018, 08:36 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,054 Likes on 1,510 Posts

I gave up on the 4 pin system long ago.
Still have one hanging on the wall, for nostalgia. I feel that any 2 pin is preferable.

Old 10-07-2018, 11:05 PM
Chris Sigo
Cruiser

I went with a new regulator for the time being, but I will be upgrading to a 32amp 2-pin system when $$ allows.

problem is, the new regulator isn’t making a difference.

-battery is brand new
-stator is putting out 50 ac volts at 2K rpm
-grounding of regulator seems good, I even ground off extra mount paint and ran a supplementary ground wire to be sure.
-Regulator is wired directly to Positive battery terminal

Battery is around 12.8v prior to starting, and drops to around 12.1v once running.

so, new battery, new regulator, juice coming from stator, and grounding seems solid. What else could be happening?

Thanks

Old 10-08-2018, 07:41 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,917 Likes on 17,474 Posts
Default What else could be happening?

What you don't want to hear, stator's going. Most likely an intermittent grounding situation manifesting when the bikes running and vibrations present pull it apart you'll see it usually a couple of the wires going to the pins the insulation is cracking off, I cooked 2 of the 4 pin before I got tired of dicking with them.

Old 10-08-2018, 08:18 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Chris Sigo
I went with a new regulator for the time being, but I will be upgrading to a 32amp 2-pin system when $$ allows.

problem is, the new regulator isn’t making a difference.

-battery is brand new
-stator is putting out 50 ac volts at 2K rpm
-grounding of regulator seems good, I even ground off extra mount paint and ran a supplementary ground wire to be sure.
-Regulator is wired directly to Positive battery terminal

Battery is around 12.8v prior to starting, and drops to around 12.1v once running.

so, new battery, new regulator, juice coming from stator, and grounding seems solid. What else could be happening?

Thanks
But you are running a 2 pin regulator on a 4 pin setup???? Hope no. and you replaced with a 4 pin... from where???

12.8 is Normal... and 12.1 running is normal if no charge is applied... depending on "load"..
What you need is a 2 pin Stator and Regulator... both... I don't personally need a 32 amp, as I don't even run with the lights on... unless dark of course..
As I said earlier... I refuse to fool with that 4 pin setup another second.... Besides I am stuck on AGM batteries, and that 4 Pin will Not charge them even close to Properly... the old 2 Pin barely keeps them where they need to be...the 32A setup??? yer AGM Battery will thank you......

Last edited by Racepres; 10-08-2018 at 08:20 AM.
Old 10-08-2018, 06:03 PM
Chris Sigo
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Racepres
But you are running a 2 pin regulator on a 4 pin setup???? Hope no. and you replaced with a 4 pin... from where???

12.8 is Normal... and 12.1 running is normal if no charge is applied... depending on "load"..
What you need is a 2 pin Stator and Regulator... both... I don't personally need a 32 amp, as I don't even run with the lights on... unless dark of course..
As I said earlier... I refuse to fool with that 4 pin setup another second.... Besides I am stuck on AGM batteries, and that 4 Pin will Not charge them even close to Properly... the old 2 Pin barely keeps them where they need to be...the 32A setup??? yer AGM Battery will thank you......
no it’s all 4-pin. I bought a new 4 pin regulator (drag specialties). Stator is unchanged. Connections are good and stator is putting out consistent a/c voltage when metered running, but nothing is getting through to the battery.

Old 10-08-2018, 09:14 PM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Chris Sigo

no it’s all 4-pin. I bought a new 4 pin regulator (drag specialties). Stator is unchanged. Connections are good and stator is putting out consistent a/c voltage when metered running, but nothing is getting through to the battery.
Interesting... What part number is this 4 pin regulator??
As I said... I would have given up long ago...what you are describing is a ... Bad Regulator...
Unless that Battery is ****!!!!
Note... "New" means Nothing on this "stuff"..

Old 10-09-2018, 03:15 PM
Chris Sigo
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Racepres
Interesting... What part number is this 4 pin regulator??
As I said... I would have given up long ago...what you are describing is a ... Bad Regulator...
Unless that Battery is ****!!!!
Note... "New" means Nothing on this "stuff"..
drag Specialties 2112-0780.
says for Big Twin 70-75.

i know there is no reliable test for regulators, but for what it’s worth I poked where the power wire came out to the ring terminal at the end, and got about 1.2ohm resistance. I thought maybe there was a short in the wire preventing it from supplying juice to the battery.

Speaking of battery, I am running an agm style. It is also Drag Specialties, High Performance 310 cca for shovelhead battery tray.

Quick Reply: '75 FXE Charging Test - 4 pin stator?