Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Lifter Chatter

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2021, 07:42 AM
Gappy
Advanced
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Lifter Chatter

I have a 1983 flht. I have rebuilt the top end. The cylinders are now .030 over. I am told that this is the last rodeo for these jugs. New valve guides and one exhaust valve in the front cylinder . I put smaller jets in the carb to get the plugs the text book tan. The engine is tight, starts and runs better than I had hoped for.

A lot of clatter coming from the cam chest so I open it up to see what is going on. The cam lobes were frosty looking and the wheels on the hydraulic tappets were wobbly an nasty looking. I put in an Andrews A2 cam and a complete set of new tappets and hydraulic units along with a new oil pump.

I an new to shovelheads so bear with me. When I start up the bike it is as quiet as a church mouse. All you hear is the pistons sliding up and down in the cylinders and the exhaust note. Now when the the engine is warmed up good the rockers arms will clatter, I get that, it happens on my Moto Guzzi and airhead BMW. But the lifters will tick and clatter. Is this normal? I am thinking of getting new pushrods and solid lifter inserts. Would this change anything, make it more quiet? If not I will leave it alone. The bike runs and rides silky smooth. I am beginning to have faith that I can ride this bike cross county if I wanted. Just concerned about the lifter noise.

Old 06-19-2021, 02:08 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,538 Likes on 2,874 Posts

You should try and find the one or 2 that is becoming noisy - then once you know exactly what ones are making noise - you adjust them 3 more nut flats that becomes a 1/2 turn - only stop dont try and reinvent the adjustment numbers -

pull 1/2 quart of oil out of the tank - buy at wall mart cheapest - lucas oil stabilizer and replace the 1/2 of a quart - see what happens then plus riding only a short amount of miles its expensive to look for issues till its broke in a bit 500 is the point of questions

The following users liked this post:
Gappy (06-19-2021)