Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Shovelhead Head Reinstallation

Old 02-22-2008, 11:18 AM
HawaiiTom
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shovelhead Head Reinstallation

Hi all,

Just had a valve job done and was wondering if there was a trick to reinstalling the heads? My main concern is how the pushrods are reinstalled. When I removed the heads, Iunbolted them, pulled them off,and the pushrods fell out. [:-]

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Old 02-22-2008, 08:44 PM
Hippy43
Banned
Default RE: Shovelhead Head Reinstallation

Best thing to do is invest in a manual. Before you pulled the heads you should have unclipped the pushrod tubes, loosened the pushrods ( depending on the type of lifters / pushrods you have either the lifters or the pushrods will have jam nuts to hold the adjustment ) then remove the pushrods, etc...

BIGGEST thing to remember when putting the heads back on is to be sure that the odd hole, the oil drain hole, in the gasket is in the correct place. Snug the head bolts then cross torque to 65ft. lbs. After 250 - 500 miles retorque the heads, they will probably need it. I had to retorque mind 3 times.

Old 02-22-2008, 08:59 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 461 Posts

A second on a manual. Too many ways to really screw things up without it.

Tip o' the day: Put your heads in place, head bolts in, tightened finger tight - should be able to move the heads. Install the intake manifold with the o-rings or rubber bands (depending on the year/manifold) rolled up out of the way. Do not install the manifold clamps yet. Move the heads so the manifold lines up properly, centered between the spigots. Tighten the head bolts to lock down your positioning. Roll the o-ring/bands in place. If o-rings, wrap with a light stretch 2 layers of Scotch 33 electrical tape over the installed o-rings. Install the manifold clamps. Torque the head bolts to spec. You might need to use a curved wrench to get to a couple of them. There is a tool that will do this with a torque wrench, but I never had one. (I have "calibrated" fingers - just ask THE MAMA. ) Install the pushrods/covers and do it right or you might end up with a bent valve, check the manual.

Old 02-23-2008, 09:35 AM
sqdealgeorge
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Before you install and adjust the push rods make sure you bleed down the hydraulic lifters ( unless you have solids)

Old 02-25-2008, 08:00 AM
shovel78
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure you install the correct lenght push rods in place.

Old 02-28-2008, 11:27 AM
HawaiiTom
Stage II

Bleed down the hydrolic lifters? How do I do that?

Also, if the heads are inplace, will there be enough room to insert the pushrods?

I have never worked on this part of the motor

Thanks in advance!!!!

Old 02-28-2008, 02:35 PM
fbn ent
Cruiser

Yes, the pushrods will go in with the head on, just those newfangled EVOS 'n things won't. I'm thinking you really sould get a manual although it won't give you a setting I like.....With the cam follower on the highest point on the cam, take the pushrod to the point that it is just seated in the lifter and then down four turns. Then....go away for about a half an hour to let the oil bleed from the lifter. continue until they are all done. THIS is all assuming that you have the stock hydraulic units, if they are solids, DO NOT adjust this way. Oh, by the by, if you get some leakage from your pushrods (with new o-rings of course) when you ride it, just turn them a little to get a better seal. Oh yeah, retorque the heads when cold.

Old 03-01-2008, 11:53 AM
Rodney
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: HawaiiTom

Hi all,

Just had a valve job done and was wondering if there was a trick to reinstalling the heads? My main concern is how the pushrods are reinstalled. When I removed the heads, Iunbolted them, pulled them off,and the pushrods fell out. [:-]

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Hi Hawaii Tom,
Yes get a good manual preferably by Harley. IMO

you have some good advice here and to add I would suggest after you lay out your cleaned push rods and tubes lay the push rods together on a flat surface and with your hand roll them back and forth and see that they are all straight and none are bent. While the push rods are all together stand them on end, one may be longer than the other 3- that fits front cylinder exhaust.
Inspect the push rod tubes for cracks, nicks or being bent and repair or replace. In your gasket kit you should have the corks for the tubes, some like to soak them in oil before installing them the last corks I installed I didn't oil and they fit good. Pay close attention to detail and don't get in a hurry when adjusting the valves with the spark plugs removed use your kick start lever to rotate the engine or better yet if you have a bike lift raise the bike put the transmission in 4th gear and roll the engine by turning the rear wheel clockwise from the right side of the bike. this gives you absolute control of the rotation of the engine. It you are in any doubt about setting up any part or your top end seek help! Its a pretty simple project but you can set your self up for problems if done incorrectly. Bent push rods or valves if not done correctly and if the intake is not set and sealed properly an intake leak can cause poor running and possible burnt valves.
Good luck and keep us posted

Old 03-01-2008, 08:30 PM
shrktooth
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the manual is good for adjusting your pushrods as long as they are STOCK.

you need to know the brand of lifters-pushrods you have ( different manufactures adjust by a "per side" count and they all are different. also you need to positively identify your lifters - solid - hydraulic.

once those 2 factors are known you can start to adjust you lifters accordingly. let me know if you need help with this.

just my 2 cents worth.

Old 03-02-2008, 09:20 AM
sqdealgeorge
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

hydraulic lifters can usually be identified by a compression spring under the push rod holding cup(coming out of the lifter blocks) solids have a bigger cup to hold the push rods and no spring and the push rods have a fatter ball to sit in the cup NOTE! all push rod adjustments are done when the lifters are at the lowest !!! part of the cam Let us know what type of lifters you have and we'll go from there

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Shovelhead Head Reinstallation