Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

shovel 4 speed

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 08:02 PM
85FXSB
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: shovel 4 speed

thanks FNFLH,
I have heard or JP Cycles, but not of the one you spoke of. i will check it out right now.
John

Old 04-11-2008, 08:07 PM
85FXSB
Intermediate

Well guess I need to change a few things here........
Looks like I don't have a shovel after all? hope this doesn't sound bad, but i'm kinda bummed a bit.[:-]
I have learned more about my ride on this thread, in the last two days, then i learned from the last owner, and the entire 4 months i've owned it?????? thanks to you all
any other sound advice to a newbee?
John

Old 04-13-2008, 11:20 AM
shrktooth
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

congrats on a nice bike

1984 1/5 to 1985 1/2 have some parts that only fit those models ie: like the seat...

my first advise to a newbie would be to get the sevice & parts manual.

the FXSB and FXEF were the narrow glide models theFXWG was the wide glide version...

these models were during the transition years of phasing out the 4 speed and shovel motor...

IMHO the 1985 models are very desirable

Old 04-13-2008, 06:30 PM
badinfluence63
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

85fxsb,

I have an 1983 FL 1340cc 4 speed. I think gauging by the MOCO's tradition of "transitioning" to the next level by integrating left over parts like when they went from Pan to Shovels there was a couple years of shovel top end w/ a Pan bottom end. Just guessing that might be your case?

Old 04-14-2008, 11:07 AM
msgtarmor
Tourer

ORIGINAL: 85FXSB

[8D]WOW .... thanks , the info and the link you sent me to was very informative.
I also got an email from (HogMan7) filled me in a little more. thought i would post his words, just in case someone else might be interested.
He said it was a time when Harley sales surpassed production," everybody wanted a NEW Evo Bike "
so the factory through together as many of these breeds as they cold sell!
It was called a 1984 1/2, they modified the "leftover"frames to accept the new evo engine, threw on the "leftover" 4 speed. Special.... because "only year" ( first year evo )(last year 4 speed) and final belt drive (5 speed style)threw in for the hell of it....LOL ( his words not mine ).
NOW back to the bendix question?
is the starter shovel? evo? 84? 85? fit 4 speed? 5 speed belt? oh no........ anyone want a harley?
just kidding....... i like to wrench, supposed to snow this weekend here( WHAT THE *%*#@) lets just take it apart and see what the local HD shop has to say?
By the way, anyone know if it's worth the price difference between std. and heavy duty bendix?looking forward for more replies..... thanks
John
This subject has come up many times with as many different answers. Truth is, in 1984 year models HD introduced the EVO engine in the fxst softail, fxr superglide and flt tour glide (I dont think there were any others). All other models for that year were shovel engines and rumored to be the absolute best year for shovels. Remember I'm talkin big twin here. Then in 1985 models all engines were evo's. The fxs lowrider, fxe superglide and fxwg wideglidewere the only models to use the 'modified' shovel frame. They came with 4 speed trannysw/ kickers and belt final drive.1986 was the last year of the 4 speed, which was installed in the fxwg wide glide. All othersin 1986were 5 speed trannys. The rest is history. Nothing was called a 'dyna' until much later. I'm thinkin 90 or 91, tho not sure.
Now since I got that off my chest, here's my .02 cents worth of opinion....... There is nothing wrong with riding with a 4 speed tranny. I have over 126,000 miles on my 85 wide glide. No problems. I run 70-75 on road trips depending onthe speed limit of what ever state I'm in. No problems and not burnin up my engine. I also have a 89 softail with a 5 speed and there is no difference that I can tell in RPM's at cruisin speed in top gear. I have many friends running 4 speeds and none have any problems. If you're tryin to keep up with the new 'twinkies' and 6 speed trannys running 80+ all day then go ahead with your mods, good luck.
As far as your bendix, what's wrong with the old one? If it aint broke - dont fix it. My experience has been some 'upgrades' end up costing much more than I had anticipated.
Iguess to make a long answer brief, which I should have done to begin with, enjoy the classic bike you have. Ride the hell out of it and if later you decide you wantto change things, go for it!!!!

Old 04-14-2008, 09:34 PM
shovelsrule
Advanced
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Then in 1985 models all engines were evo's.
check your facts,
that's what every book or forum says but I do own a 1985 shovelhead flhp with matching VIN numbers and there are some more out there. The frame sticker says 1984 but the frame and engine number says 1985. My vin is similar to 1HD1AHK11FY011278 with AH = FLHP - 80 Belt Deluxe, K = 1340 Shovelhead and F = 1985
check this site for a similar bike;
http://www.offshorecycle.com/1985Harleywhite.php

all of the info I could digg up was that some police departments wanted some more police bikes in 1985 with the same engine they already had. So HD produced about 300 shovelhead flh's in 1085 (with leftovers I guess).

Old 04-14-2008, 10:26 PM
85FXSB
Intermediate

shovelsrule,

thanks for your time and info..... I DO have an evo on a shovel 4 speed frame. all-though it's not a shovel, i think it is indeed a "special" classic 23,000 on the clock..... if it's original speedo?
not much wrong though..... about a quarter sized oil spot on concrete after setting over night. and a little blue smoke from the rear cylinder ex. pipe on take off, after idle or downshifting.

msgtarmor,
thanks for your 2 cents also...... the bendix problem was about half the time using the electric starter it would just slip and spin. well it was nasty all week end, and today was rather nice, and sure enough.... the starter quit grabbing all together.
I have to kick start it, or SOME-TIMES , I can hit the electric start button, and as soon as it starts to slip, I can kick down on the kicker, and the sarter will jump in and fire her right up?
Souds like the bendix ....... right?
any questions ? comments ? HELP ?
thanx guys ...... you been great.
John

Old 04-14-2008, 11:34 PM
shovelsrule
Advanced
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

the bendix is easy and cheap to replace, do you have a workshop manual (get one!) you can do it yourself (left hand threads if i'm correct)

As for the mileage and original speedo's; have you checked your pistons?
My '85 shovelhead supposed to have 50k or so miles on it (yeah right, I thought), turns out it still has the original pistons! And plastic breather valve too so I replaced it with a steel one pronto.

Old 04-15-2008, 07:24 AM
kiwidave2
Cruiser

Congrats mate. You have bought a rare and cool bike. They are sought-after now.

I have the sister model, 1985 FXEF.

You've had some good advice so far.

A couple of points. If the ignition module is bone stock, it will be very very difficult to kickstart. Doesn't meant the kicker is not working good, but the factory ignition at that time was configured to fire the plugs after a couple of turns of the flywheels. Thus, you have to have a REAL great sense of timing and heavy boot to get past that.

For 13 years I have run a Crane Hi-4 single fire ignition on mine with matching coils. Works so good I actually threw all the starter motor/solenoid bits in the parts trash several years ago.
The Crane Hi-4 has a 'kickstart' setting which allows the motor to fire as soon as the flywheels start spinning, everything else being equal.

I have about 86,000 miles on mine, owned it 16 years. Would never sell it.

You have a great motorcycle there. Enjoy and don't be put off. Oh and by the way, if you should go to the nearest dealership for parts, you will confuse the hell out of them in 99% of cases. Most people in the dealers nowadays have never heard of the 1985 4spd Evos.

You need the parts book. It is your best friend, next to the service manual. A surprising amount of parts for these bikes are still around, even at the dealer. Just dont expect to be able to buy any bling off the shelf - as if you need that garbage!!

The only problem areas are pipes and seats,owing to the bastard nature of the motor/frame. But Khrome Werks and Mustang have you covered, respectively, should you need them.

If you have any queries, post away here. Or feel free to email me at

dave85fxef@yahoo.com

I work on my bike and I have some knowledge that i would be delighted to share to keep you on the road andloving that great machine. All the best

KiwiDave
currently inMelbourne, Australia

Old 04-15-2008, 07:31 PM
msgtarmor
Tourer

ORIGINAL: shovelsrule

Then in 1985 models all engines were evo's.
check your facts,
that's what every book or forum says but I do own a 1985 shovelhead flhp with matching VIN numbers and there are some more out there. The frame sticker says 1984 but the frame and engine number says 1985. My vin is similar to 1HD1AHK11FY011278 with AH = FLHP - 80 Belt Deluxe, K = 1340 Shovelhead and F = 1985
check this site for a similar bike;
http://www.offshorecycle.com/1985Harleywhite.php

all of the info I could digg up was that some police departments wanted some more police bikes in 1985 with the same engine they already had. So HD produced about 300 shovelhead flh's in 1085 (with leftovers I guess).
OK.... So they slipped a few in there without telling me!! Actually, I had heard that before but thought just a line of bull. So, ya learn something every day!!

Quick Reply: shovel 4 speed