Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

shovel 4 speed

Old 04-10-2008, 11:11 PM
85FXSB
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shovel 4 speed

hello all,
new on here , but long time reader...... i have a problem , about like ardvark,
I just recently picked up a 85 FXSB. it seems to be a really cool ride but, from my research, it seems to be an odd ball! it's a 1340 shovel with a 4 speed, but has a belt drive like the evo 5 speed? it seems to shift well now but what do i do if i have tranny trouble? or want to go to a 5/6 speed later for maybe less rpm in top gear? any ideas or info,I thank you in advance
John

Old 04-11-2008, 04:54 AM
Rodney
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: shovel 4 speed

Welcome to the HDForum 85fxsb.
does this bike have the primary and final drive belts?
this a unique bike for sure a 1985 shovel!
it may be best to keep it original or "I'd guess" you would be changing everything from the engine pulley back to the rear wheel. Then again I am just guessing.
a buddy of mine just installed a revtech 5 speed in his 83 shovel but it was a chain drive rear so he was able to change the counter sprocket to get less RPM's at cursing speed {it wasn't an overdrive trans}
got any images to post for us?

Old 04-11-2008, 01:18 PM
kin boyd
Stage II

I had a 1984 FXSB (Low Rider), They run a Primary and Secondary Belt. Any 5 Speeds or 5 in 4 Gearboxes I've seen, you have to convert to chain drive. Also, your primary belt will last longer if you use a vented primary cover. Heat is the belts enemy.

Old 04-11-2008, 01:56 PM
Jeff D.
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

....a revtech 5 speed in his 83 shovel but it was a chain drive rear so he was able to change the counter sprocket to get less RPM's at cursing speed {it wasn't an overdrive trans}.....
Cursing speed, LOL! I know what that speed is!

But I thoughtit was just on the 4speeds though, at about 45-50mph? You know, toofast for 3rd, but too slow for 4th.

Old 04-11-2008, 02:03 PM
Jeff D.
Intermediate

...it seems to be an odd ball! it's a 1340 shovel with a 4 speed, but has a belt drive like the evo 5 speed? it seems to shift well now but what do i do if i have tranny trouble?
John, I agree it's odd to see an '85 shovel, but a 1340 shovel with a 4speed and belt secondary isn't too odd. I've an early 84 with this set-up from the factory. I've not had any problems getting parts for it, although I've not had any issues with the tranny or primary. Not even leaks, knock on wood. I "think" they started using belt secondary's with the 4speeds about '82, but might stand to be corrected.

Good luck with your new scoot.

Old 04-11-2008, 02:48 PM
85FXSB
Intermediate

thanks to all, i can hardly believe the fast and knowledgeable replies.
like i said , i'm new on here and have been wellcomed greatly.. thank you all !
BUT i am new to the harley world also ( please bear with me )
I been a long time Triumph owner (love the 650 Twin) sorry for that outburst?
this 1985 FXSB ( I will get a pic on here ASAP) (I was told?) Please help me out
if this info is wrong.... IS: FX = Dyna Low Rider S= shovel B= Belt final drive.
Primary is factory oil bath sealed 1340 with s&s carb,4 speed, rear tire and rim
has been replaced with a fat boy solid rim, and has a fat bob style tank.(original?)
The guy told me i had to leave this combo as-is but could put 5 speed in this 4
speed case? I have no real problems with the bike right now, except the handle
bars seem to be tweeked a bit, i really don't like the buck horn type anyhow...
and the starter bendix just wants to slip and spin about 40% of the time..
( I 'm sure it will get worse, and want to change it before it gets any nicer outside)
and there is where my problem for parts arises? Do all the bendix/starter parts
interchange with shovels? 4 speeds? 5 speeds? or am i just worried about all
this nonsense "stuff" for nothing?
any help, advise, information, or just your $ .02 worth, i would love to hear about it !
thanks again, be looking forward to be INFORMED.......
John

Old 04-11-2008, 03:30 PM
Jeff D.
Intermediate

John, I found this site with info that may helpyou out www.bikerstuff.com/diary.htm

An FXS(lowrider)indeeddoes have a shovel motor, but an '85 FXSB(lowrider) is a Evo powered 4speed with belt drive, as per thesite I linked too.

Might want to double check what yours has in it, Shovel or Evo. Sounds like it should be an Evo.

Personally I wouldn'ty be too worried about parts availability. This bike may be an oddball of sorts withit's particular specs but it's still built with a mix of parts that are common to many other models.

I don't know the answer on your starter questions, hopefully someone will chime in.

Jeff

Old 04-11-2008, 03:56 PM
cripula
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Your bike has nothing to do with a dyna. A Dyna is a later model rubber mounted frame trying to look like your solid mount frame.
Your bike should be an Evo motor, 4 speed tranny, belt secondary in a classic 4 speed frame made to fit the evo. One of HDs best bikes ever in my HO, and IIRC, one year only.
A buddy of mine had one, he got it just before I got my 81 Sturgis, circa 1990. He hopped it up a bit and it was a fast MF. No keeping up on my shovel. It was a great bike.
If you have tranny trouble - fix it. No problems getting 4 speed parts, there's still good aftermarket support.
If you could throw a pic or 2 up that would be cool.

Old 04-11-2008, 06:33 PM
85FXSB
Intermediate

[8D]WOW .... thanks , the info and the link you sent me to was very informative.
I also got an email from (HogMan7) filled me in a little more. thought i would post his words, just in case someone else might be interested.
He said it was a time when Harley sales surpassed production," everybody wanted a NEW Evo Bike "
so the factory through together as many of these breeds as they cold sell!
It was called a 1984 1/2, they modified the "leftover"frames to accept the new evo engine, threw on the "leftover" 4 speed. Special.... because "only year" ( first year evo )(last year 4 speed) and final belt drive (5 speed style)threw in for the hell of it....LOL ( his words not mine ).
NOW back to the bendix question?
is the starter shovel? evo? 84? 85? fit 4 speed? 5 speed belt? oh no........ anyone want a harley?
just kidding....... i like to wrench, supposed to snow this weekend here( WHAT THE *%*#@) lets just take it apart and see what the local HD shop has to say?
By the way, anyone know if it's worth the price difference between std. and heavy duty bendix?looking forward for more replies..... thanks
John

Old 04-11-2008, 07:53 PM
FNFLH
Intermediate

I don't think the local HD dealer will be too much help.
When you come in there speaking "Shovel" they look at you like you have the plague.
If you have to get aftermarket parts, Jireh Cycles is one of your best bets. They're way cheaper than JP Cycle.
You can go to www.jirehcycles.com on line.
Their web site is a little hard to navigate, but its worth it.
You can get a free catalog from them also.
Hope the dealer can help, you might get lucky.
Ride Safe!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: shovel 4 speed