Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Disassembling inner primary

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 08:55 PM
berndog
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disassembling inner primary

So my next project on my 82 fxwg is taking off the outer And inner primary as they are both cracked and stator i going to be replaced along with stupid shifter linkage bushing,,so my question is can I disassemble the clutch and compensator sprocket without a bunch of special tools.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:40 PM
megawatt
Road Warrior
Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts

I have an inner primary cover made by a company called Lifeline.
The quality is not what I had hoped for.
I think you will be happier if you buy original HD inner and outer primary covers.
For a really heavy duty inner primary cover, Rivera bought the rights from Cal Products and they are making them now. Rivera doesn't sell 'em cheap but they look to be really strong. I have one and will be installing it when I can get to it.
I won't even try to sell the Lifeline, it's going straight to recycle.
You will need a large washer to depress the clutch spring retaining plate so it can be removed and installed easily, a puller for the clutch hub and either an impact wrench or a long breaker bar to remove the compensator nut. Note: The clutch hub nut is left hand thread.
A genuine HD shop manual will help you do this.

Last edited by megawatt; 07-05-2011 at 09:43 PM.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:09 PM
berndog
Tourer

what type of puller should I be using,dont want to spend big bucks on harley specific tools

Old 07-06-2011, 02:39 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,837 Likes on 17,455 Posts

Originally Posted by megawatt
I have an inner primary cover made by a company called Lifeline.
The quality is not what I had hoped for.
I think you will be happier if you buy original HD inner and outer primary covers.
For a really heavy duty inner primary cover, Rivera bought the rights from Cal Products and they are making them now. Rivera doesn't sell 'em cheap but they look to be really strong. I have one and will be installing it when I can get to it.
I won't even try to sell the Lifeline, it's going straight to recycle.
You will need a large washer to depress the clutch spring retaining plate so it can be removed and installed easily, a puller for the clutch hub and either an impact wrench or a long breaker bar to remove the compensator nut. Note: The clutch hub nut is left hand thread.
A genuine HD shop manual will help you do this.

First off welcome to the forum .

Good advice given , the Lifeline ******** need to be hunted down and solidly skull fu*ked . I cut mine up and made a starter mock up tool out it , best use that ever came of it .

Dude if you don't have one or access you can rent a cheap compressor & impact that 1-1/2" socket that can be a royal bear to do manually , seen guys break fingers doing it the hard way and once rounded off a bit the real fun begins . Clutch hub puller is all you should need and they are under $40 I believe

Good luck and please keep us posted .

Old 07-06-2011, 05:20 AM
JohnFlorida
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just did this yesterday. The compensator nut will come off easier if you block it from moving really good. I tried a towel ,an old rubber sandal and finally a block of wood. Wood did the trick. Red loctite is on the nut so bear down on the breaker bar with your left hand and bodyweight and tap the socket with a hammer while doing it. THe locktite will break with the tapping under pressure. Just keep an eye on the socket so it doesnt slip off the nut

Old 07-06-2011, 12:22 PM
megawatt
Road Warrior
Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts

A little heat from a propane torch on the head of the compensator nut will soften the red Loctite making the compensator nut easier to remove.

TwiZted Biker,
I'd like to get my hands on a messed up outer primary someday to make a starter mock-up tool.
It'll cross my path eventually.

Last edited by megawatt; 07-06-2011 at 12:25 PM.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:08 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,837 Likes on 17,455 Posts

Originally Posted by megawatt
A little heat from a propane torch on the head of the compensator nut will soften the red Loctite making the compensator nut easier to remove.

TwiZted Biker,
I'd like to get my hands on a messed up outer primary someday to make a starter mock-up tool.
It'll cross my path eventually.
You know I figured somebody I knew would have a trashed cover laying around , NOT looked for a long time . Had to move a bunch of junk around and that Lifeline junk fell out , figured the harley gods were telling me something so I cut it up . Like you I wasn't going to sell that crap to somebody else .

Old 07-06-2011, 10:11 PM
junker73hd
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by berndog
what type of puller should I be using,dont want to spend big bucks on harley specific tools
Before you run out and buy a puller try this:you'll need a hammer,a drift or punch and a helper.First,loosen the clutch hub nut but do not remove it,unscrew it until it is held on by the last few threads.Now place both hands behind the hub and apply outward pressure by slightly pulling on the hub.Maintain pressure while your helper strikes the clutch hub nut with the hammer/drift...in most cases the clutch hub while pop right...hope this helps.Thanks,Junker.

Old 07-17-2011, 01:28 PM
airart1
2nd Gear

sure worth the 34 bucks for an original puller and be safe and not break anything.....i'm pretty sure thats what i gave for mine......

Old 07-17-2011, 02:48 PM
junker73hd
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can also make your own tool to hold the clutch hub while loosening the clutch hub nut.I've been using this one for years...

Quick Reply: Disassembling inner primary