Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Starter solenoid question

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 05:47 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,974 Likes on 17,496 Posts

Originally Posted by megawatt
HA! I went through all the cable/connection routine and it always came back to this super whiz-bang Odyssey battery running low on voltage.
The damn thing cost so much I'm going to use it until it is deader than (insert whatever you think is really dead)...and then maybe for a while beyond that!
I am running a 96 inch, 10.5 to 1 compression Evo (the Shovel engine is log gone) and it works the old style shovel starter system hard.
Compression releases are coming in the not too distant future.
I think I have hijacked this guys thread enough...apologies to you kremyga.
No hijacking it's all info for starter problems being shared , all good from where I am anyway . You have the same issues I have 93"@11.5 - 1 and no comp. releases , dual plugged heads , why I have and use that kicker you see on my sig bike 230lbs and I can stand on it

. I'm about to try one of the late style starters that will bolt up on the early primary's , I've modded it with a bigger motor so I figure 2.0 or 2.4 KV instead of the 1.4 standard so we'll see ( stock is only .8 KV ) .

I tried the Odyssey battery also , their downfall is they don't care for the average multiple start and stop short rides most do , they have to have a hard high rpm ride with a big amp output system to recharge between starts I found . Considering a lithium Ion unit pricey but the numbers are good outside of the typical sales crap .

Check these out and whatever you do use the biggest damn cables you get or make it will help .

http://www.shoraipower.com/p-205-lfx24a3-bs12.aspx

They have a bigger amp model same size also .

Old 09-20-2011, 07:02 PM
megawatt
Road Warrior
Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts

I've got monster million wire cables (you know, welding cable type stuff) and an extra ground
from the starter housing to the frame.
Thank you for the battery link. When it's time, I'll look into their product(s).
Presently, I am using a starter from All *****.
Once the engine gets past the initial compression stroke it spins great but if the battery is marginal at all it will get stuck in start mode.
When I was riding it to work the battery was fine (40 mile ride to work).
I ain't riding right now and I want to fix a few things on the bike before I do.
I have two other bikes to work on for friends before I can get to mine.
It's cool, I need to work out some health issues also so while I (hopefully) heal up I'll work on the bikes to entertain my mind.
Thanks again for the link TwiZted.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:23 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,568 Likes on 3,815 Posts

Couple opinions. The parts you are getting are junk. Good solenoids (the large washer contact inside use to be plated with quite a few mills of silver. Bet yours are just copper. Two is you are only going to get so many starts and each contact to pull it in counts as one. I see a lot of people hit the starter only to let off before the v-twin gets going and then end up doing it two more times before it's running. Thats 3 starts gone.
And one free one. Do a load test on your starter to be sure it's OK and not pulling too much load. Bet it's number 1 however.