Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Front forks

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 03:39 PM
jfsgb
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front forks

More problems ! got 1980 fxwg with a rear wheel in the front the front end has started to bottom out making an unpleasant clunk ! .when i first got the bike about 3 months ago i replaced the fork oil with a heavier grade than it had and the o rings below the top caps . It is also now losing fork oil from around the top caps . The roads where i live are pot holed to **** obviously this not helping neither i guess is a bigger tyre in the front ! any advice would be much appreciated as usual ! thanks in advance

Old 06-30-2012, 11:01 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,047 Likes on 17,527 Posts

You need a Progressive spring kit , the stock ones are soft and don't damp well . 2 things the heavier oil is part of the problem it doesn't allow the damper tuber to flow fast like it should and the clunk your hearing is most likely the forks slamming at the top after it rebounds not bottoming and you may have over filled them which will stiffen big time and pump oil out the top . 1 oz makes a big difference in ride believe me .

Use a 10wt fork oil and when you drain them do them both at the same time and work the forks up and down to pump out all the oil , then add 1 oz less than it calls for . Best configuration I found for that front end , I ran the same one for years till I swapped it for a 60mm inverted .

There's a fast mod you do to the damper tubes to help the action , looking at the bottom of the dampers you'll see a couple 1/4" holes . Drill those out to 5/16" , this lets the oil move faster for better action and you can add a 1" spacer on top of the stock springs . Improves the forks noticeably on those .

Old 07-01-2012, 01:25 PM
jfsgb
Advanced

Yeah the noise is definatly at the top not the forks bottoming out , i will change the fork oil type and amount and do the mod you suggested mate but come the winter its progressive springs ! thanks again for the advice

Old 07-01-2012, 02:52 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

I put 10 hard years on that same front end , fought your battles already . Next you'll get tired of the brakes rattling and those are a real pain to R&R without the proper tools and reamers .

Old 07-01-2012, 03:17 PM
jfsgb
Advanced

Oh brother ! the front brakes have already driven me bat **** ! there is currently a piece of wellington boot between each caliper and leg to stop the mind numbing chattering ! another job for the winter ! but hey i rode back home early hours of this morning from a bike rally the roads were clear , bike running sweet as a nut and sounding awesome and me grinning like a **** ! i love the thing despite its failings what can i say !!

Old 07-01-2012, 04:38 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

You did the best already with the brake calipers so leave it be . I went through all the crap and expense of rebuilding mine and they where rattling again with a year , wasted effort and old boot stock is always there .

Old 07-02-2012, 11:54 AM
jfsgb
Advanced

When i bought the bike a few months ago there was already some rubber tape stuck to the legs but it was no longer working , the previous owner told me the tape was a genuine harley part ! any way the boot works so if as you say twizted there is no point reconditioning the calipers then it will stay . I have to say though as brakes go they are pretty poor ! have thought about fitting some different calipers on carriers but will see come the winter !