Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 Heritage Softail Engine Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 06:34 PM
AUspicious
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2005 Heritage Softail Engine Upgrade?

Hey, folks. I have a 2005 Heritage Softail that is largely stock. I really like the bike, but I'm not thrilled with the gas mileage and I feel it's a bit underpowered, but I knew what I was getting when I bought it. The bike has the 88ci EFI engine. I've tried to do a little snooping on the web, but I still cannot tell what my options are for engine upgrades. It looks like you can get a 103ci big bore kit for a 96ci bike, but I don't see anything for an 88ci bike. Could someone please tell me what options I have for upgrading my engine? Thank in advance.

Old 03-04-2015, 07:50 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by AUspicious
Hey, folks. I have a 2005 Heritage Softail that is largely stock. I really like the bike, but I'm not thrilled with the gas mileage and I feel it's a bit underpowered, but I knew what I was getting when I bought it. The bike has the 88ci EFI engine. I've tried to do a little snooping on the web, but I still cannot tell what my options are for engine upgrades. It looks like you can get a 103ci big bore kit for a 96ci bike, but I don't see anything for an 88ci bike. Could someone please tell me what options I have for upgrading my engine? Thank in advance.
Your 88 can be upgraded to 95in. using standard big bore parts, or 98in. if you use a good performance machine shop that offers that package. 96" engines have a longer stroke and are upgradable to 103/107".

You may want to look at a cam change first as it will provide a nice boost in power. Choose one that will be work with a big bore if you decide to go bigger at a later date.

Old 03-04-2015, 10:00 AM
tmilo1000
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I have an 88 that has SE204 cams, carb, and V&H 2 into 1 pipe. I seem to have plenty of power. Run pretty good at high altitude given its a carb bike. I decided to go the cam route before adding a bore kit. I'd bet if you had some headwork done, cams, and 2 into 1 pipe you would see a noticeable increase in power. Since you are fuel injected you will most likely need a remap of the computer.

Old 03-04-2015, 10:34 AM
dfwhockey17
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 250 Posts

OP, do yourself a favor and call Scott at Hillside cycle (he is a forum member) and he will walk you through building your top end. IMO you should bore your stock cylinders to make your bike a 98", pick a set of cams that match your riding style then machine the heads to bring the most out of the cams, and finally get a real tuner (Direct Link, TTS, S.E. Race Tuner, etc.) and have the bike dyno tuned. You can pretty easily eclipse the 100/100 mark if you want with the right build....

You can go much larger as well. I am currently taking the 88 out of my '05 Deluxe and building a 117". This is a lot more involved and will cost triple what the above mentioned will, but it is another option that is out there should you choose.

Old 03-04-2015, 11:50 AM
AUspicious
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the replies, folks. They are incredibly helpful, albeit a bit intimidating. I'm comfortable with the standard maintenance stuff and minor repairs/upgrades, but could be beyond my ability level. I'll have to find someone local, maybe the local HD dealership, to do the work. I may give Scott@Hillside a call and pick his brain.

I bought the bike to be a daily rider, but I also want it for road trips, like 600-mile days. It does fine as a commuter, but the bike seems to have very little power left when cruising at 70 mph. I'd like to find out what all these things will cost so I can plan and budget accordingly, but I'll probably start with the cams as folks have suggested.

Old 03-04-2015, 04:15 PM
mplecha
Stellar HDF Member
Received 159 Likes on 98 Posts

A healthy 95 would be perfect for your bike. Mine pulls like a freight train and gets 45mpg on the highway. Easy and totally worthwhile upgrade. I'd ride this bike anywhere with no worries.

Old 05-07-2022, 08:13 PM
grumpyray
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AUspicious
the stroke are different I think S&S is offering a piston that can make it work call S&S. The ristpin location are in different locations due to the shorter stroke

Old 05-07-2022, 08:54 PM
ChromeJunkie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,850 Likes on 1,686 Posts

I have a 2006 FLSTC and I did the S&S 97 inch big bore kit with SE ported heads and still have S&S 510 gear drive cams in it. I’m planning on changing cams at some point wit 583 EZ start cams. When it was tuned after break in, it was putting out 102 ft/lbs torque and 98 hp with the 510’s. Problem was that the cams didn’t kick in at a low enough rpm.

Old 05-08-2022, 07:01 AM
fat00boy
Cruiser
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Post is 7 years old

The following users liked this post:
2goldens (05-08-2022)
Old 05-08-2022, 02:47 PM
2goldens
HDF Community Team
Received 303 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by fat00boy
Post is 7 years old
More victims of a zombie post. Another where the OP never came back to report the results. Maybe he just didn't go through with it.

Quick Reply: 2005 Heritage Softail Engine Upgrade?