Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

carb rebuild issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 05:58 PM
cimnut
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default carb rebuild issue

Hope some one can help. I rebuilt my carburetor using CV products deluxe tuner kit and the EZ idle screw. I have a 1993 heritage. It has Sampson long shot exhaust and an Arlen Ness big sucker air cleaner. I installed #46 idle jet and #185 main jet. I replaced the slide as this carburetor was re-jetted before and the slide vacuum hole was drilled out larger than the 7/64th diameter. The engine idles and runs fine with no popping or back fire. The issue is that it has poor acceleration. It has less acceleration then before the rebuild. I have adjusted the idle mixture screw in all the way and it still runs. I have read the CV products tuning page which was not much help. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails carb rebuild issue-326.jpg  
Old 03-09-2015, 08:53 PM
the blob
Road Warrior
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

I'd say it's too rich then . Back the pilot jet down 1 size and adj mix screw again.

Old 03-09-2015, 09:57 PM
Tony_N
Road Master
Received 252 Likes on 175 Posts

Are you getting full throttle?

Old 03-10-2015, 07:08 AM
cimnut
Advanced

It sounds like it. I had it up to 4 gear and 50 mph. The throttle is responsive when its idling and I crack the throttle. It's only when I ride it that it has poor acceleration. I'm reading the manual and it lists throttle cables miss-aligned. I checked that and it appears it opens all the way. I found no vacuum leaks. I'm guessing its internal. Does anyone know if I close the idle mixture screw all the way in if the engine should die. It doesn't. I'm wondering if the main jet is too large.

Old 03-10-2015, 07:29 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by cimnut
Hope some one can help. I rebuilt my carburetor using CV products deluxe tuner kit and the EZ idle screw. I have a 1993 heritage. It has Sampson long shot exhaust and an Arlen Ness big sucker air cleaner. I installed #46 idle jet and #185 main jet. I replaced the slide as this carburetor was re-jetted before and the slide vacuum hole was drilled out larger than the 7/64th diameter. The engine idles and runs fine with no popping or back fire. The issue is that it has poor acceleration. It has less acceleration then before the rebuild. I have adjusted the idle mixture screw in all the way and it still runs. I have read the CV products tuning page which was not much help. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I'd say you're probably rich on the main and possibly the slow jet.
45 slow and 170/175 main should be about right for an Evo.

What needle are you using, and is the needle jet correctly positioned? People sometimes reverse the needle jet, causing similar symptoms.

From CVP's Tuning section:
Check that the Needle Jet (nozzle) is installed correctly. Installing the jet upside down will adversely impact the fuel spray and needle metering.

If your needle jet is missing or worn CVP carries new needle jets.

Last edited by nhrider1; 03-10-2015 at 07:35 AM.
Old 03-10-2015, 07:31 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,534 Likes on 3,786 Posts

What was the main jet before you went in? If you can adjust the idle screw all the way in and it still idles, obviously you are into to the throttle for air (least on a normal carb).

Old 03-10-2015, 05:07 PM
cimnut
Advanced

Ha ! I found the slide is not operating. OK have to take it back off and figure out why. Its a new slide, made sure it was seated correctly. The carburetor had been re-jetted before so I don't know the size. The slide vacuum port was drilled out larger than the 7/64th CV recommends. That's why I replaced it. So any suggestions where to look? Thanks all.........

Old 03-10-2015, 08:48 PM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by cimnut
Ha ! I found the slide is not operating. OK have to take it back off and figure out why. Its a new slide, made sure it was seated correctly. The carburetor had been re-jetted before so I don't know the size. The slide vacuum port was drilled out larger than the 7/64th CV recommends. That's why I replaced it. So any suggestions where to look? Thanks all.........
Look for a tear or hole in the rubber bellows. It's vaccume operated.

Old 03-10-2015, 09:38 PM
hobobiker
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nhrider1
Look for a tear or hole in the rubber bellows. It's vaccume operated.
+1 on the tear...

Old 03-10-2015, 10:20 PM
Tee&Vee
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 82 Posts

That is hardy rubber so I'm not guessing a tear but you have it slightly crimped, askew or folded and it is not making a quality seal at the top. Some asshat did this to my cv on the road glide. Btw, I'm the only guy that works on this bike.
Doh.