Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail rear wheel alignment

Old 04-24-2007, 12:58 AM
gunmetal
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Softail rear wheel alignment

Wondering what the proper procedure is for rear wheel alignment. Manual says distance from swingarm pivot bolt centers to axle centers should be equal + or - 1/32" on each side. The axle shaft has machined centers but pivot bolts don't. I suppose the centers could be found and marked on each outer end or is there a better way. Thanks for any suggestions.

Old 04-24-2007, 01:37 AM
CANTDR55
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Softail rear wheel alignment

I took a piece of steel from hardware store I want to say it's about 1/8 inch round bar. I bent one and at a right angle about 4 inches long. The rest is about 2 feet long. I took a zip tie and tied it to the longer end and cut off the tail leaving about 2 inches of the tie. This now acts as a pointer that you can slide.

Before making any adjustments mark the edges of the bolt and washers on the axle on both sides. ( I used grease pencil) this lets you know where you started from.

Take the end with the right angle bend and put it on the head of the swing arm's pivot bolt ( either side to start with.) Then line up the zip tie pointer with the center of the rear axle.

Now you have a reference point. See if it lines up the same on the opposite side and you'll know if you need to adjust anything.

The head side of the pivot bolt I just drew and X across with pencil to get and idea of the center of the bolt. The nut side was easier since you have the bolt to line up with.

Worked well that way for me when I pulled off the axel nut to install license plate bolt.

Rob

2005 nightrain
Carbed.
Stage I (Arlen Ness' K&N style oiled air filter)
Arlen Ness forward control extension kit.
V&H Straight shots
Radiant Side mount license plate light with LED cats-eye (discontinued)
Kuryakyn LED side rear marker/ turn lights
HD Diamond Back solo seat
Name:  smbike8.jpg
Views: 3758
Size:  34.0 KB

Old 04-24-2007, 02:14 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

I remember reading an article on that a couple of years ago. It was so simple and fool proof the whole idea has kinda stuck in my head.
They said that to get it perfect everytime, all you need is a 6 or 8 foot long floresent light tube.
They are perfectly straight and if youtouch it to two points on the side of the tire about 12 to 14 inches apart at one end with the rest going forward it will lay on the floor beside the front tire. Measure it on both sides and its easy to see if the wheel is true to the front tire and if not its very easy to move one side or the other of the axle forwardget it exactly perpendicular to the bikes axis.
With the light tube being as long as it is, even veryminormissalignments areeasy to see and correct for.
One thing, the bike should be standing up straight like on a lift table or jack to make measureing easier and more accurate.

Old 04-24-2007, 10:45 AM
jbroughton
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What a great idea! Hmm, wonder if I'd get the same effect by duct taping two 4-foot bulbs together???

Old 04-24-2007, 11:15 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

ORIGINAL: jbroughton
What a great idea! Hmm, wonder if I'd get the same effect by duct taping two 4-foot bulbs together???
Smart a$$.

Actually that 'might' work if you could find a short piece of PVC pipe that fit the tubes snugly.

Anyway there was some missunderstanding of what I ment by putting the tube against two points on the tire so I pulled a light fixture apart to get a tube and attached it to my rear tire so you guys could see it better.
Thetube I used is only4' long but it will give a better idea what it looks like on the wheel/tire.

Name:  IMG_3574.jpg
Views: 3789
Size:  56.7 KB

Name:  IMG_3575.jpg
Views: 4245
Size:  82.8 KB

Please excuse the dirty wheel, I desperaly need to get a set of those Lindel Racing pads. The stockes are dusty as hell.
Hope that clears things up a little for you.

Old 04-24-2007, 12:26 PM
jbroughton
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Believe it or not, you're not the first person to call me that.

Seriously, it always amazes me how people manage to find such simple solutions to problems.

Not so seriously, it appears in the picture that your FRONT tire is way out of alignment!

Old 04-24-2007, 03:24 PM
panamoncreel
Tourer

That's an awesome solution. Though I see a putz like myself spending my afternoon sweeping up glass in my garage after that.

Old 04-24-2007, 03:29 PM
TheGeek
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an 8 foot aluminum track from my sliding door that I use (it won't bend). I wouldn't trust myself with the bulbs.

Old 04-24-2007, 08:34 PM
jimb
Road Master

I like to run the bike real fast and get a wheelie going.A real high one.Then I'll do a reverse handstand on the bars while watching my rear wheel between the 2 solid yellow stripes on the road.If I stay between the lines I'm good.If you've never tried this method I suggest having someone experienced do it for you.Or you can try the other guys ideas, they seem like pretty solid advice.

[IMG]local://upfiles/11733/6109D8F9F2A74CCA9B68489937588D07.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-24-2007, 08:42 PM
tireater
Banned

I use stiff alum. tubes a little bigger than the bulbs...you can check allignment and then clamp them together and check/straighten bars.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Softail rear wheel alignment