Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going nowhere fast!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 08:54 PM
bech64
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Going nowhere fast!

I have a 2010 Fatboy Lo, Stage 1, V&H slip-ons 9900K on the OD.

This morning when getting ready to leave for work I went to start the bike. Turned the ignition on, hit the run switch, no fuel pump prime and start button does nothing.

All lights come on strong but that's it.

1 year old battery, trickle charged all winter. I rode last night, no issues.

Checked all fuses they were good. Pulled Dash (Speedo) checked connections, all good.

I do not have a security fob with this bike. One thing I happened to notice that I never noticed before was the red key light coming on for a few secs when I flip on the ignition. It may have always been there and I didn't notice it.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Old 04-15-2015, 09:04 PM
jtarter
Road Master
Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

I am sure there is a relay that runs the fuel pump after the run switch is engaged. Locate that relay/connections and check your voltage there.

Old 04-15-2015, 09:25 PM
baloot-boy
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Does it make a single click sound when pressing the start button. Check the starter relay under the seat where the fuse box is. There should be two relays. One is the system relay, and the other is the starter relay. Pull the starter relay and see if its coroded. Clean it and give it a test. Other thing to try is to pull the solenoid cover and get a screwdriver to press the solenoid boot to engage the starter. This bypasses the starter switch button and the relay. Make sure you are in neutral before trying this.

Old 04-15-2015, 09:49 PM
bech64
2nd Gear

I did pull that relay out, and all the terminals where clean. Probing around with a meter I was able to find 12 Volts there but whether or not the relay works, I don't know how to test it, and I couldn't find a schematic.

Old 04-15-2015, 09:50 PM
bech64
2nd Gear

baloot-boy no sound what so ever when pressing the button. Good idea jumping the solenoid, I should have thought of that. I will try tomorrow eve.

Old 04-15-2015, 09:58 PM
baloot-boy
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by bech64
baloot-boy no sound what so ever when pressing the button. Good idea jumping the solenoid, I should have thought of that. I will try tomorrow eve.
If that works, you can look into the getting a starter solenoid button cover. Basically solenoid cover with a button where you can bypass the switch and relay. Gets you back on the road while you troubleshoot your issue. Good for backup... Or primary for those who hate the switch. Also pickup spare relays for cheap insurance..they are inexpensive...7.99 from Harley...even cheaper from your local autoparts store.

Old 04-15-2015, 10:11 PM
bech64
2nd Gear

For $7.99 I will get a relay!

Old 04-15-2015, 10:36 PM
Gommee
Devil's Advocate
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Did you check to see if there are any codes?
Did you check the battery connections?

Old 04-15-2015, 10:52 PM
bech64
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Gommee
Did you check to see if there are any codes?
Did you check the battery connections?
I did clean the battery connections, and I checked the codes and there weren't any but I did get no rSP (no response) on a couple with the run switch on or off.

Old 04-16-2015, 11:49 AM
Visago
Cruiser

Have the same bike, same year...just had something similar going on. I swapped out my bars with apes and bike ran fine. After all the work was done I loosened my controls and bars to adjust everything and then after I tightened it all up I was having this same issue. Found that it was blowing the ignition fuse. Took apart the throttle side controls and sure enough...one of the wires got crushed when I was readjusting everything. It was stripped and grounding out on the bars. Wrapped the bare area with electrical tape and everything is fine now but you said you checked all of your fuses already so probably not the same issue.

Quick Reply: Going nowhere fast!