Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fatboy Kickstand

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 11:54 PM
BillP.
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fatboy Kickstand

From dayone on my 05 it has always felt like the kickstand was on the verge of closing up when the bike is "settling in", especially true if there is any degree of downhill slope to the ground - makes sense. I've looked, asked the dealer, and searched here, and everyone says there is no adjustment and that is just the way it is. I'm always worried when I'm getting off the bike that she is going to roll up and fall down go boom - something I'm sure I'd have trouble living with!!! Anyone else experience this?

Enjoying the ride..... Bill

Old 05-21-2007, 11:56 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Fatboy Kickstand

Park it in gear and roll it as far forward as possible before putting the kickstand down. I came from metric bikes and the "jiffy" stand still doesn't make sense to me either.

Old 05-22-2007, 12:15 AM
RandyM1911
Tourer

Once you put the weight of the bike on the stand it locks into place so it can't fold up. I've gotten in the habit of rocking the bike forward once it's on the stand, just to be sure it's locked in place. Seems to work just fine and I've never had a problem. You should always try to park facing uphill if possible, but if not, leave it in gear and roll it till it stops before you put the stand down, like Anubisss said. Just remember to pull in the clutch before you thumb the starter when you climb back on!

Old 05-22-2007, 12:20 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 467 Posts

ORIGINAL: anubisss

Park it in gear and roll it as far forward as possible before putting the kickstand down. I came from metric bikes and the "jiffy" stand still doesn't make sense to me either.
That's 'cause metrics ain't figgered out how to make a locking jiffy stand, and if the bike does roll off, who cares?

Old 05-22-2007, 12:27 AM
DaveJ
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always give the jiffy stand a little kick forward before I set her down. It's one of the few good habits I have acquired.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 05-22-2007, 02:11 AM
WARG
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I always put my foot on the stand and pull the bike back a little, this pushes the stand as far forward as it will go. I had the problem with the jiffy stand, which resulted in my bike falling over shortly after I got it. All the scratched parts are replaced now, but I still get flashbacks.

Old 05-22-2007, 09:33 AM
BillP.
Intermediate

Thanks guys, not sure why I didn't think of putting the bike in gear - just used to neutral so as not to lurch when starting I suppose. Many references to a "Locking" kickstand - mine sure doesn't seem to have any locking in it!

Bill

Old 05-22-2007, 04:33 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Theoriginal owner of my 2005, switched the stock jiffy stand to the HD extended model, no.50249-05. I did wonder why, maybe he did it for better stability.
Tom

[IMG]local://upfiles/18321/DCB35E14493645829607AB725062F79A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-22-2007, 07:34 PM
monsterdeluxe
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Intially I found the jiffy stand would make me nervous. I have parked on inclines on various angels and no problems. Trust in the jiffy and use tip provide by annubis, warg and davj.

Old 05-22-2007, 10:31 PM
scottm
Intermediate

i like to get around metric guys and give mine a push leaning on the sissy bar just to watch them freak out. hasn't fallen over yet

Quick Reply: Fatboy Kickstand