Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hello from Rockwall Texas

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 08:01 PM
roberrob
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello from Rockwall Texas

Hey guys, I'm a newbie HD rider (Just bought a 100th Anniversary Fatboy) and I love it!!!! I'm looking forward to learning and sharing anything I learn about these great bikes. Mine is a 88ci twin cam, with a screaming eagle heavy breather air filter and Vance and Hines pipes. I am the third owner. I already have a question about the engine. Is there anyway to tell whether the previous two owners have done anything to the motor besides tearing it down? How much horsepower does the 88 come from the factory with? Does the air filter and V&H pipes add horsepower? Thanks and am looking forward to riding!!!!

Old 12-29-2016, 09:20 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,863 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Originally Posted by roberrob
Hey guys, I'm a newbie HD rider (Just bought a 100th Anniversary Fatboy) and I love it!!!! I'm looking forward to learning and sharing anything I learn about these great bikes. Mine is a 88ci twin cam, with a screaming eagle heavy breather air filter and Vance and Hines pipes. I am the third owner. I already have a question about the engine. Is there anyway to tell whether the previous two owners have done anything to the motor besides tearing it down? How much horsepower does the 88 come from the factory with? Does the air filter and V&H pipes add horsepower? Thanks and am looking forward to riding!!!!
Welcome to the forum from central Texas. Is your 2003 Fatboy your first bike?

Other than tearing the engine down, the only other way to determine if other engine mods were done is documentation. A previous owner or dealer can help with that.

You state that you have a heavy breather and V&H pipes. Do you have a fuel management device as well to complete the Stage I ? If not, was the ECM flashed with a new map? The tuner (fuel management device) will optimize the air-fuel (A/F) ratio. Harleys come from the factory running very lean. This makes for a hotter burning engine. The SE heavy breather is allowing more air in which will make the bike run even leaner. The tuner enriches the A/F mixture helping to cool the engine and improve engine performance. The downside would be lower mpg because you are burning more fuel.

As far as power goes, it depends on the pipes you have. True duals will generally worsen power a small amount while a 2-1 exhaust may improve it. At most, you would expect about a 10% boost in power from a true Stage I upgrade.

Here is a link to the specs on your 2003 Harley Fatboy. It reports a torque of 77.4 ft.lbs @ 3000 rpm which calculates to 44.2 horsepower.

Again, welcome and ride safe.

Boog

Old 12-31-2016, 10:51 PM
Reddog01
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome from Georgetown, TX. I lived most of my life in the Dallas/Richardson area (and a few years in Garland), so I have been to Rockwall many times. You should have some good spots to ride around Lake Ray Hubbard, as well as some of the Rockwall County roads.

I have an 88 engine also in my 2005 Heritage. It also had a Stage 1 kit installed on it (sounds a lot like your setup), and for this old guy (66 years old), it gets me where I want to go with ease. I can't help you with the technical questions, but I can say that I'm sure you will enjoy your new ride. PICS?