Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting Problems- 2011 Heritage Softail Classic

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 06:41 AM
Dave E
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Starting Problems- 2011 Heritage Softail Classic

Posting this problem a while back, replaced the main switch but still having problems. The problem is intermittent, don't know if anyone else has ever experienced. Turn ignition switch on, all lights work. Turn kill rocker switch on, oil pump starts then push start and nothing happens. Do this several times and nothing happens. Then all of a sudden, try once more and it starts. Frustration. Now things have changed. I can't start at all when in gear. However, when I put in neutral, it turns over. I replaced the main switch last year when I was having the same issues. Seemed to help for a while. I am at a loss. Why would it start in neutral now? How to diagnose? 2011 Heritage Softail Classic. I have a new battery, checked connections (that I can see) all look good. Any ideas?

Old 04-20-2017, 06:58 AM
hspring03
Elite HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 48 Posts

Neutral safety switch at the clutch lever? Not sure what year they put them on softails. Designed not to start in gear.

Old 04-20-2017, 07:02 AM
tbplayer
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I had that symptom on my 2012, and it turned out to be the switch that sits under the clutch lever had somehow gone bad. The bundle of electronics that is on your left handlebar, that includes those two rockers (horn, odometer reset, etc) also has a little sensor switch that sits under the clutch lever, and disengages the starter when the clutch lever is not being held in.

I replaced the whole assembly, and problem gone.

That was a REAL frustrating one, because it was intermittent and pretty random as it went out. And there were a few times there where I thought I would be stranded, but ended up able to get the bike started.

I'll bet that's your problem.

Old 04-20-2017, 07:21 AM
Dave E
6th Gear

Originally Posted by hspring03
Neutral safety switch at the clutch lever? Not sure what year they put them on softails. Designed not to start in gear.

Thanks. Starting in gear (clutch disengaged in of course) never been an issue until now.

Old 04-20-2017, 07:27 AM
Dave E
6th Gear

Originally Posted by tbplayer
I had that symptom on my 2012, and it turned out to be the switch that sits under the clutch lever had somehow gone bad. The bundle of electronics that is on your left handlebar, that includes those two rockers (horn, odometer reset, etc) also has a little sensor switch that sits under the clutch lever, and disengages the starter when the clutch lever is not being held in.

I replaced the whole assembly, and problem gone.

That was a REAL frustrating one, because it was intermittent and pretty random as it went out. And there were a few times there where I thought I would be stranded, but ended up able to get the bike started.

I'll bet that's your problem.
I was wondering if this may be tied in somehow. hspring03 comment might be reason why if there is a sensor that keeps from starting in gear. If I may ask, where did you get assembly? I have been thinking about chroming the switches & housings anyway. Still stock black. Thanks for your help guys.

Old 04-20-2017, 08:15 AM
tbplayer
Cruiser

I've ordered mostly from Newcastle Harley Davidson. They have the best prices I've been able to find, although sometimes they kill you on shipping. Just need the part number.

Old 04-20-2017, 03:10 PM
tbplayer
Cruiser

Found my part number, although mine is a 2012, and I don't know if 2011 uses the same part: 72949-12

...and here's the link to their ordering site: http://shop.newcastlehd.com