Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on a Fatboy

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 09:53 PM
budha9109
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Opinions on a Fatboy

Hey guys, I'm currently looking at a 2012 Fatboy. I have a Sportster and decided it's time for a bigger bike. I have a friend that's saying not to buy it and that I won't be happy with it. He thinks I should get a bigger framed bike.. Like an Ultra Classic or Road King or something along those lines. I am a big guy and he thinks I'll like one of those bikes better. I have only had 2 Sportsters in my life and that's it but he has had about every Harley out there and is about 20 yrs older than me.

So I'm just looking for opinions.. I don't really want a fairing or a "bagger." I sat on the Fatboy and felt comfortable. Are they comfortable for passengers or with a passenger? Any input would be awesome. Thanks

Old 04-28-2017, 10:10 PM
Riffraff123
Road Captain
Received 294 Likes on 157 Posts

I'm 6ft 220 lbs 34 inseam and my Heritage fits me perfectly. Basically same bike as fatboy....try a dealer and see if they have a used or a demo for a ride? My wife rides with me occasionally so I got a mustang wide seat combo and she likes it fine. Floorboards for her are very nice.

Last edited by Riffraff123; 04-28-2017 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Add to answer
Old 04-28-2017, 10:20 PM
cigardave007
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I love my Fat Boy. You can go with so many different looks. Slam it, add apes, or go with saddle bags and a touring seat, or go the beach bar/drag bar/t bar route. So many style of exhaust and intakes. Aftermarket stuff galore.

I like the way you sit in the softail instead of on it. Since I rarely do any real touring I dont ever see me going the Touring frame route.

Unless I was doing the 500 mile a day stuff several times a year, Needed a ton of storage and just had to have that sound/nav system I would opt for the Fat Boy.

I 6'2 220 and feel great on the softail frame. I did extend the floorboards out(40 dollar kit) and add the lindby crash bars. My wife never has complained about comfort granted she is 4'11 and 95 pounds so she would be comfy on the back of a Ducati.

PLUS Fat Boys are just plain COOL,

Last edited by cigardave007; 04-28-2017 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Typo
The following 2 users liked this post by cigardave007:
budha9109 (04-28-2017), Redlegvzv (05-07-2017)
Old 04-28-2017, 10:20 PM
budha9109
Tourer

Originally Posted by Riffraff123
I'm 6ft 220 lbs 34 inseam and my Heritage fits me perfectly. Basically same bike as fatboy....try a dealer and see if they have a used or a demo for a ride? My wife rides with me occasionally so I got a mustang wide seat combo and she likes it fine. Floorboards for her are very nice.
Right on, you're about my size. I'm a bit heavier tho lol. I am actually looking at the bike from a dealer, but I don't have a motorcycle license so I can't test ride it. Kind of sucks but it's my own bad for not getting the license. Just sitting on the bike feels real good. I mean anything is going to be better than my Sportster tho...

Old 04-28-2017, 10:24 PM
budha9109
Tourer

Originally Posted by cigardave007
I love my Fat Boy. You can go with so many different looks. Slam it, add apes, or go with saddle bags and a touring seat, or go the beach bar/drag bar/t bar route. So many style of exhaust and intakes. Aftermarket stuff galore.

I like the way you sit in the softail instead of on it. Since I rarely do any real touring I dont ever see me going the Touring frame route.

Unless I was doing the 500 mile a day stuff several times a year, Needed a ton of storage and just had to have that sound/nav system I would opt for the Fat Boy.

PLUS Fat Boys are just plain COOL,
That's exactly what I'm thinking... They're a badass bike, and I don't plan on going on any crazy trips with it. Maybe just once or twice a year. I think it would be a good fit for me right now. Maybe a touring bike in the future.

Old 04-28-2017, 10:25 PM
01dyna
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2,013 Likes on 655 Posts

You should buy the fatboy if you like it. I love mine. The stock passenger seat is NOT designed for long touring, so I recommend buying a pillion seat for about $100. The solid wheels will catch more wind and you may notice this the first few times you drive it, but you'll get used to it fairly quickly and it will become second nature.

If you can ride a sportster, than you'll enjoy the fatboy.

The following users liked this post:
budha9109 (04-28-2017)
Old 04-28-2017, 10:36 PM
cigardave007
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 01dyna
You should buy the fatboy if you like it. I love mine. The stock passenger seat is NOT designed for long touring, so I recommend buying a pillion seat for about $100. The solid wheels will catch more wind and you may notice this the first few times you drive it, but you'll get used to it fairly quickly and it will become second nature.

If you can ride a sportster, than you'll enjoy the fatboy.
Funny, when i was deciding on a new bike i was really concerned about the solid wheel catching wind. After the first week I never thought about it again.

OP. Google Fat Boy and click images. Amazing the different directions people took their fat boys.

Old 04-28-2017, 11:09 PM
budha9109
Tourer

Thanks for the input guys. I found another one tonight I like.. I think I am going to go the Softail route. The other one I found is a Deluxe. In the end, it is MY bike and I should buy what I want.

These are the two I am considering. The Deluxe is on point for what I'd like to have. The Fatboy would be a good starting point for me tho...

Old 04-29-2017, 07:14 AM
Axis39
Road Captain
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

I currently have a Slim (which is like a skinny Fatboy with lace wheels, I guess LOL). I also own a Sportster 48 (for my wife, but that I love riding!). They are different... The Sporty has a much higher center of gravity and is a bit more zippy off the line. But, I truly love them both!

My last bike was a Shovelhead FLT, that I converted into a RoadKing. When i bought it, it had Fatboy wheels solid on it. They were the first generation style with no holes whatsoever. I didn't much care for them. I did feel the pull on them on the highway around big trucks, and every now and again going over an overpass with crosswinds. I sold them and switched over to some nice mag wheels. But, that was just my personal thing. I know a lotta guys like 'em.

After owning a number of big twins over 35 years or so of riding, I always wanted a Softail. My current Slim just makes me grin from ear to ear whenever I throw a leg over and head out! I'm a little under 5'10 and about 215, so not huge... But, not small. The bike fits me very well, although I may get some longer risers to bring the bars back just a touch.

When I bought my bike, my wife was really, really pushing me to buy a new Deluxe. I looked at them long and hard, I also looked at a couple used ones. Then, I came across a good deal on my already customized Slim. Whoever owned it before me had done several of the things I was gonna do already. So, for reasonable money, I actually saved dough.

I loved my Shovelhead. I loved the rubber mount ride and the ergonomics of it. For all day cruises and even short runs, it was incredibly comfortable and the hard bags were very convenient. The hard bags are probably what I miss most, even though i wanted a 'bar hopper'. The only reason I gave it up was it was getting tougher and tougher to find parts for it and they were beginning to just wear out. But, that's because it's 37 years old now, not a new one.

I've always liked the styling of the Softail. And visually, I think they are the most appealing current Harleys. With the newest generations of rubber mounted/balanced motors and EFI technologies, they are a wonderment of comfort and reliability!

The bottom line is, buy what makes you happiest! Fatboy or Deluxe, can't go wrong with either in my book!

Old 04-29-2017, 07:19 AM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,431 Likes on 4,751 Posts

Owned the '05 Anniversary 95CI Edition. I much prefer my '14 Deluxe.

Quick Reply: Opinions on a Fatboy