Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'99 Fatboy steering/electrical things....

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 01:12 PM
b1pig
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '99 Fatboy steering/electrical things....

Yesterday I finally had a chance to resolve some of the issues plaguing our bike. After fixing the fuel leaks and reconnecting the dash, I got to looking into why the neutral light was the only thing that lit up... turns out all the other bulbs were just loose rattling around in there. I also found out you can't just wiggle them back in there, because the bulbs just pop right back out.

I lubed the plugs a little and popped them in. Then noticed something. This bike has a notoriously dim low beam. High beam is perfectly fine. Switching to low beam, it just kinda.... oozes up from off to "on". Its pretty crappy. After I got the bulbs working in the dash, I noticed that the turn signals, which have worked fine for the year we've had the bike never showed any issue. But the two left/right indicators on the dash BOTH flash no matter which signals are flashing. The proper front/rear indicators work normally, just the indicators on the dash are both flashing. Since they bulbs didn't work all this time, obviously I'm just now noticing this. I know a ground fault can cause some whacky electrical gremlins in the lighting department. Being that my experience on these bikes is pretty basic at this point, I would think that the headlight and turn signals would pretty much be independent of each other. However... if anyone has has a similar issue or if there is a common denominator, I'd appreciate it.

I did some poking around and for the most part, I found not obvious issues. The harness seems pretty tidy with no signs of rubbing anywhere. No loose connections found.

Another thing I'm thinking about is swapping out the bars. It has the standard Fatboy style bars on it. I like the low rise, but not the lazy kinda pull back. I've been looking at drag bar style bars. Some seem to have a good rise and pull back to work on our bike. The steering on this thing is HEAVY. I'm used to something more along the lines of a dirtbike bar. Wide and relatively flat.