Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are SE EPA slipons our only choice?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 09:43 PM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,202 Likes on 713 Posts
Default Are SE EPA slipons our only choice?

This is a strange position to be in and I am not sure I like it. I do searches for EPA compliant mufflers and it is a cluster ***K to use a military term. This mandate has been part of HD since last year. Do the aftermarket manufacturers feel there is no use competing with SE? That all the mufflers in the end would have to sound the same? So why bother? Or are they just that far behind the curve on this?

I read about those that have made the complete SE change over seem to be happy. I just can't wrap my head around the lack of choice. Bike got delivered today and I am already tired of searching for products. I guess for me it boils down to hating to feed HD more of my money when before I had other choices.

I just want my bike to sound a bit better than this lousy sounding stock exhaust system. Running cooler would be a plus.

New bike is a 2017 Heritage.

Last edited by Mr.Softy; 09-23-2017 at 09:46 PM.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:06 PM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,258 Likes on 6,240 Posts

If your bike is a 2017 there are plenty of choices. Have a look at fuel moto's website for example. What mostly gets you in trouble for warranty work is the tuner.

It's the 2018 Softails that do not have any choices right now due to the M8 engine and redesigned Softail frame.

You haven't even taken delivery of the bike yet?

Last edited by Prot; 09-23-2017 at 10:07 PM.
Old 09-24-2017, 06:48 AM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Prot
If your bike is a 2017 there are plenty of choices. Have a look at fuel moto's website for example. What mostly gets you in trouble for warranty work is the tuner.

It's the 2018 Softails that do not have any choices right now due to the M8 engine and redesigned Softail frame.

You haven't even taken delivery of the bike yet?
Been out for a ride already it was delivered Saturday.
I can circumvent the tuner, run the bike with it, and easily remove it before I need any servicing. Pipes and AC are more difficult. I am not about to remove and replace those items before service.

Dealership told me I should stay with epa mufflers if I was going to change them out. My choice would be going to a 2:1 system.

Old 09-24-2017, 11:06 AM
DrPlastic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

You may also check with your state inspection criteria if you have one. I think now they have to look for the EPA stamp engraved/stamped into the mufflers themselves. I have heard that states that still do motorcycle checkpoints do look for them and may do the decibel check. If you don't have them then they impound your bike.

Old 09-24-2017, 12:32 PM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by DrPlastic
You may also check with your state inspection criteria if you have one. I think now they have to look for the EPA stamp engraved/stamped into the mufflers themselves. I have heard that states that still do motorcycle checkpoints do look for them and may do the decibel check. If you don't have them then they impound your bike.
Your state is the same as mine and no one is checking for anything EPA stamped on my yearly. Are they doing it on yours?

Old 09-24-2017, 02:52 PM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member
Received 302 Likes on 274 Posts

if I were you I'd probably stay epa compliant until the warranty expired. This would give all the aftermarket companies time to develop more options for your bike. Around here pretty much anything goes for exhaust on bikes, i have baffles in my V&H dual's but like a little sound...guys just need to be considerate in neighborhoods to keep people from demanding the gov enforce strict sound laws.

Old 09-24-2017, 03:43 PM
Puttnutt24
Road Warrior
Received 209 Likes on 116 Posts

I believe they are.
I'm just about to install my Street Cannons today, I'll post picture later. I'm waiting on FuelMoto's Power Vision tune to be released in a couple weeks. My stock slip-ons were sent out to Tab Performance so they could use them to mock up thier own slip-ons
I usually nix the entire system but I want to keep the stock heat shields on the bike so I plan on just good slip ons and a good tune and call it good....

SE Street Cannons for Fat Boy S

Old 09-24-2017, 04:26 PM
DrPlastic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Softy
Your state is the same as mine and no one is checking for anything EPA stamped on my yearly. Are they doing it on yours?
Nope because I use the stock mufflers. My last bike I just re-cored them and kept the outer shell so they would not be none the wiser!

I read a lot of this as upcoming requirements in the AMA journals.

Old 09-24-2017, 06:03 PM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member

Nope because I use the stock mufflers. My last bike I just re-cored them and kept the outer shell so they would not be none the wiser!

This would have to had changed since May of this year as that was my last yearly inspection. I had a 2:1 system on and no one gave it a look. Of more concern was my brakes and lights.
Things must be a lot tougher where you are compared to my location. Having recored stock shells shouldn't keep them from noticing the sound difference which is key to EPA also. Emissions should have been tested regardless of how the muffler looks.
Checking the VA DMV inspection site tells me why this is a concern for you and not me at this time.
https://www.dmv.org/va-virginia/smog-check.php
Neither my county or city is on that list. I guess we are too rural for us to matter. I hope it stays this way for the time being.

Old 09-24-2017, 10:11 PM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member
Received 531 Likes on 377 Posts

What do Doctors know about V twins?

Quick Reply: Are SE EPA slipons our only choice?