Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heritage console lights go out

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 10:03 AM
Lyttuch
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Heritage console lights go out

I have a 2012 Heritage and recently have been experiencing an odd problem.

The console cluster lights will go out for a few seconds to a minute or so, then they come back on. This includes the console backlight, signal indicators, et al. It does not affect the digital counter for the trip, remaining mileage, clock, odometer, tach, etc...just the lights, so there is still power to that, just not to the lights. It does not affect any of the actual lights (headlights, turn signals), only the cluster.

Plus, and I have no idea if this is part of it, if the lights are out, the idle is higher (Happened today. No idea if it's related). As soon as the cluster lights came back on, the idle dropped to normal.

It doesn't seem to matter if I'm cruising along smoothly, completely stopped or running down a rough road. In other words, not a loose connection. It's almost like a bad electronic component, if I had to guess.

Anyone have this happen before? Any suggestions as to what to check?

Thanks.

Old 10-31-2017, 12:06 PM
Flhr Rider
Cruiser
Received 180 Likes on 85 Posts

Friend of mine has a Heritage, his was doing the same thing. Voltage regulator went out.

Old 10-31-2017, 09:19 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,431 Likes on 4,751 Posts

There is something that may help, I forget exactly what it is but try it. Emrg flasher in ign or aux mode for 3-5 mins. Clears the BCM. Sorry, I didnt google it for ya.

Old 11-01-2017, 10:20 PM
darkcustom7
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had the same issue with my night train. I also was starting to have hard starts with the bike, so after checking the battery it was time to replace it. After I replaced the battery the console lights also stopped flickering. I didnt think the 2 issues were connected but in my case I guess it turned out they were.

Old 11-01-2017, 11:47 PM
tbplayer
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Mine did that, and throwing codes (the red light coming on briefly around the same time).

Replaced the voltage regulator. Fixed.

Old 11-02-2017, 10:25 AM
TeaRunner
Road Master
Received 212 Likes on 144 Posts

This is a perfect opportunity.

Before you go taking the consensus and replacing the voltage regulator ***** nilly. By yourself a multimeter, RTFM, and use it to test the regulator before you replace it.

Old 11-02-2017, 11:22 AM
Lyttuch
Tourer

Thanks for your replies. I did fail to mention the error light coming on after each of these episodes (haven't yet checked to see what the code(s) is/are; figured I'd get to that this weekend (thanks for the reminder, tbplayer).

TeaRunner, I have a multimeter, but have never checked a voltage regulator. How would I go about it?

On a side note, Harley only shows the chrome voltage regulator in their parts and accessories catalog. Found that odd. Had to look the part number up for the black one. 74540-11 if anyone else searches this thread.

Old 11-02-2017, 12:10 PM
TeaRunner
Road Master
Received 212 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Lyttuch
Thanks for your replies. I did fail to mention the error light coming on after each of these episodes (haven't yet checked to see what the code(s) is/are; figured I'd get to that this weekend (thanks for the reminder, tbplayer).

TeaRunner, I have a multimeter, but have never checked a voltage regulator. How would I go about it?

On a side note, Harley only shows the chrome voltage regulator in their parts and accessories catalog. Found that odd. Had to look the part number up for the black one. 74540-11 if anyone else searches this thread.
https://www.google.com/amp/blog.jpcy...ng-system/amp/

Old 11-03-2017, 09:23 AM
Lyttuch
Tourer

Thanks for the link, TeaRunner.

Old 11-03-2017, 10:46 AM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

I'll go with voltage regulator. Did you replace yours under the recall in 2012?

Quick Reply: Heritage console lights go out