Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'18 Heritage side stand issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 06:31 AM
rubberheels
Cruiser
Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Do not like the kickstand on my new Fat Boy at all!!!

Old 03-27-2018, 06:51 AM
FrankEV
Road Warrior
Received 799 Likes on 500 Posts

Amen!

Do not like the "Jiffy" (kick) stand on my '18 Heritage at all.

Have to kick it 3 time to make sure it is down because you can't see it under the foot board. Then it feels like the bike goes over forever before taking the load of the bike. Once down it seems stable enough, but very uncomfortable trusting it will support the bike.

It is obvious that the stands have been made shorter on the '18 Softails because they have been relocated further to the rear then on previous year models.

Not sure anything can be done, even by an aftermarket manufacturer, because there is no place to relocate it to that I can determine.

Compromise...I gues we have to live with it.

Last edited by FrankEV; 03-27-2018 at 06:52 AM. Reason: fixed typo
Old 03-27-2018, 05:39 PM
kb_jag
Tourer
Received 144 Likes on 99 Posts
Default A+

Originally Posted by snafu59
after I got used to the new stand, I like it better than the old one. But, yeah, as others have said you have to lean the bike more right to get it down without scraping the ground.

I'm actually agreeing with snafu. After all the different bikes I've had, I'm really happy with the new design. It's different, and if you try to operate it like the old one, then yea, it will be awkward. For my "this is just another motorcycle test for the dealership point of view" It's short, sturdy, and works unusually well on undulating surfaces especially when considering the weight it endures.

To that end, that is not the case with many,many,many breeds, where there really is a lack of confidence in angle, or that it will support the weight over the test of time,day,month,year,or life of the bike.

Harley shaved weight,made stronger,and safer.

A +

Old 03-27-2018, 08:00 PM
smittybald
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I thought it was just me

I just bought my 2018 Heritage Classic on Saturday. The battery was not charged and needed a jump at the dealership. I was told to ride home and put on battery tender. I rode home in a cold rain, without rain gear. Out of the rain, in my garage, I was ready to admire my mount, but first the jiffy stand. I felt like a rookie.
That night I had some anxious moments thinking I was going to see my bike on the ground. My next ride, I had figured it out, I need exaggerated effort to get the stand up and down to ride and park.

Old 03-28-2018, 02:22 AM
FrankEV
Road Warrior
Received 799 Likes on 500 Posts
Default Dont feel bad

Originally Posted by smittybald
I just bought my 2018 Heritage Classic on Saturday. The battery was not charged and needed a jump at the dealership. I was told to ride home and put on battery tender. I rode home in a cold rain, without rain gear. Out of the rain, in my garage, I was ready to admire my mount, but first the jiffy stand. I felt like a rookie.
That night I had some anxious moments thinking I was going to see my bike on the ground. My next ride, I had figured it out, I need exaggerated effort to get the stand up and down to ride and park.
When I picked up my bike from the Dealer and was getting use to it in the parking lot, I returned to where my lady was waiting, I stopped in front of her, kicked the stand down and layed the bike over like I had done on my others bikes. The next thing I knew I was laying on the ground with the bike on top of me. Nothing hurt but my pride. Talk about feeling like a rookie! Since then I have to tripple check each time I set it on the stand and lean it over with a lot of trepedation. Yes it is strong, and yes it works, but....it still makes me nervous each time.
Still love the bike.

The following users liked this post:
tmac00333 (03-15-2021)
Old 04-03-2018, 06:19 AM
Mac-427
Cruiser
Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

I have an 18 Fatboy and agree that the new stand design is a pain. I'm wondering if the aftermarket will come up with some kind of an extension so the stand will be easier to see and grab.

Old 04-03-2018, 11:06 AM
Dave 2
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Jiffy

Originally Posted by FrankEV
Amen!

Do not like the "Jiffy" (kick) stand on my '18 Heritage at all.

Have to kick it 3 time to make sure it is down because you can't see it under the foot board. Then it feels like the bike goes over forever before taking the load of the bike. Once down it seems stable enough, but very uncomfortable trusting it will support the bike.

It is obvious that the stands have been made shorter on the '18 Softails because they have been relocated further to the rear then on previous year models.

Not sure anything can be done, even by an aftermarket manufacturer, because there is no place to relocate it to that I can determine.

Compromise...I gues we have to live with it.
Concur. The only issue I have with my 18 Heritage is the Kick/Jiffy stand.
Its something I'm sure I can get used to but presently there is still an air of belief you have to have to accept that the stand is ready to support the load.
When in doubt I just push/hold it forward with my left foot as I dismount.

Old 04-03-2018, 07:27 PM
SgtThump
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankEV
When I picked up my bike from the Dealer and was getting use to it in the parking lot, I returned to where my lady was waiting, I stopped in front of her, kicked the stand down and layed the bike over like I had done on my others bikes. The next thing I knew I was laying on the ground with the bike on top of me. Nothing hurt but my pride. Talk about feeling like a rookie! Since then I have to tripple check each time I set it on the stand and lean it over with a lot of trepedation. Yes it is strong, and yes it works, but....it still makes me nervous each time.
Still love the bike.
Wow, that’s crazy! How embarrassing... I would die. Lol

I agree with others that the new jiffy stand is totally different than previous designs. My new Fat Bob feels like it’s still standing straight up when it’s on the stand and that makes me nervous sometimes too. Pretty used to the whole experience now, though.

Old 04-04-2018, 08:53 AM
Another Old Timer
Tourer
Received 152 Likes on 104 Posts

I have finally become used to mine, love the bike.

Old 04-04-2018, 05:12 PM
A1A
Tourer
Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts

I actually like the new jiffy/side stand now. I can foot find it a lot easier when lowering it. I just hold the tip of my left toe on it and pull back and lean the bike over until its all the way over resting on the side stand. The very first time I ever put my bike on the side stand. I got off thinking everything was ok and then that sucker leaned over all the way. Sacred the _ell out of me.
Cheers

Quick Reply: '18 Heritage side stand issues