Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'18 Heritage side stand issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 04:40 PM
Another Old Timer
Tourer
Received 152 Likes on 104 Posts
Default '18 Heritage side stand issues

Don't really like the Jiffy Stand on my new Heritage, hard to make sure the stand will properly lock in place. On my '14 Road King when laying the bike over on its side stand, it would slide out so that it would completely lock in place. On this new Heritage, the stand foot will not slide out so that verifying locked in place is troubling.

Any comments or ideas from the Brain Trust?????

Old 11-02-2017, 04:46 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

I just extend mine all the way till it stops. Then set the bike on it. It seems pretty sturdy and doesn't snap back up unless I pull it back so I think it's pretty secure.

Old 11-02-2017, 05:17 PM
Hi-perf old poop
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default kick stand

I don't like the way you have to lean the bike over to the right past center to get it all the way down. If ground is uneven you have to lean it hard to the right to get it to clear the ground on the left. This is not much fun when you are 2 up. Don't know if all the new solftails do this but my Heritage classic sure does.

Old 11-02-2017, 07:05 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,858 Likes on 4,112 Posts

Originally Posted by Hi-perf old poop
I don't like the way you have to lean the bike over to the right past center to get it all the way down. If ground is uneven you have to lean it hard to the right to get it to clear the ground on the left. This is not much fun when you are 2 up. Don't know if all the new solftails do this but my Heritage classic sure does.
Try this. Get on the bike, put the jiffy stand up and then have the passenger get on.

Old 11-02-2017, 07:08 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Not really noticing any problems, it taken me a while to get used to the new location which is slightly closer to the center and slightly hidden by the floorboard. But it seems stable and I don't have to lean much to the right. Plus the bike isn't really very heavy so it's not much of an effort.

My Springer's kickstand is much harder to kick down on uneven ground because I really have to lean to the right to set it down.

Old 11-03-2017, 06:32 AM
FrankEV
Road Warrior
Received 799 Likes on 500 Posts
Angry Hate my 18 Heritage jiffy stand also

What I really don't like is that you cannot see the kick stand when it is down. Sure wish they had made the KICK piece about 1 inch longer to it was visable past the floor board. I'm relatively new to a bike of this size and not being able to see the stand in it's down position is disconcerning when leaning the bike onto the stand. Very first day in the dealer parking lot after taking delivery, stopped, put the stand down and leand it over only have the bike fall becasue the stand was not fully in its down position. Now I kick it 2 or 3 times to make sure its down. Not what I should have to do. I have searched for some sort of extension to add but have not found any aftermarket item that will work.

Read all other replys...seems there are no good suggestions for a remedy.

The following users liked this post:
tmac00333 (03-15-2021)
Old 11-03-2017, 07:21 AM
Another Old Timer
Tourer
Received 152 Likes on 104 Posts

The problem as I see it is that when you put the stand down then lay the bike over to place it on the stand, the base most of the time does not slide over and as a result the stand does not go into its slot that will prevent the stand from folding up if the bike accidently pushed or rolls forward. The stand on my '14 was easier to make sure it was in the slot.

Old 11-03-2017, 08:12 AM
martin10
Road Warrior
Received 504 Likes on 327 Posts

It is harder to see. But I have had no issues with it. I am in the habit of pulling back on the left grip when I get off the bike just to make sure. Just something I have always done

The following users liked this post:
Schoolboy (05-04-2018)
Old 11-03-2017, 06:47 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,459 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Just kick it forward with your toe to make sure it's at proper extension, then lean the bike over to the left.

I have found that these new bikes don't "slide" over so easy, so you do need a bit of positive encouragement to push the stand out a bit and lock into place. Otherwise it will kind of grab in the first position.

No big deal - you just need get used to it.

Old 11-03-2017, 07:05 PM
snafu59
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

after I got used to the new stand, I like it better than the old one. But, yeah, as others have said you have to lean the bike more right to get it down without scraping the ground.

Quick Reply: '18 Heritage side stand issues