Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long Distance on 2016 Softail Slim S

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 12:45 PM
jdslim
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long Distance on 2016 Softail Slim S

What’s up to my HOG family?!

I own a Softail Slim S which I purchased as an around town cruiser but I’m planning a long distance ride (approx 600mi).
I’m hoping someone can give me some insight on what it’s like taking this bike on a long distance trip?
How’s the comfort, reliability, etc? Any review or tips and tricks would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Old 03-07-2018, 01:04 PM
blackSP
Tourer
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Did a few of those, 500km, 3000km and it was not very comfortable. Doable but not great. And I had a modified sear with silicone padding and all. A backrest would have been n ice but that ruins the looks...

Reliability is great though. Was stage 1 103 ci 2015 model btw.

The following users liked this post:
jdslim (03-08-2018)
Old 03-07-2018, 01:18 PM
Fullbore55
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,632 Likes on 1,226 Posts

FWIW, I rode low rider to Sturgis for mutilple day of riding and then back to Minneapolis. About 600-some miles one way. Seemed fine to me, when I was in my mid 40’s.

jdslim (03-08-2018)
Old 03-07-2018, 01:27 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

To me personally, conditioning and comfort go hand in hand when it comes to taking longer rides. If a person conditions themselves properly they can take most any bike and ride long distance with it. From personal experience, I met people that have ridden a Sporty long distance and didn't have any issues what so ever. Like I said, conditioning is one of the key things to being able to ride long distance.

jdslim (03-08-2018)
Old 03-07-2018, 05:08 PM
OldManLeadSled
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

None of my business as I ride a dyna and dresser but since I'm browsing..
My dad is 61 years old, 6'3", 200 lbs. He rides a 96" Heritage Softail. For what it's worth, he has farmed his whole life and enjoys manual labor so he is in good shape as far as that goes.

We have ridden nearly all over our part of the country. On our longer trips, we often put down 650-675 miles a day, and then go again the next day bright and early. He has factory seat, factory bars, and no highway pegs. He does; however, have a back rest.

My point: try and get your bike as comfortable as possible and then go for it. You'll know when you get back whether or not you need to make some more adjustments/purchases. Just so happens for my dad, he just needs a backrest and a windshield (No windshield makes the trip ENTIRELY different, some ways good and some ways bad)

Good luck and have a blast.

Last edited by OldManLeadSled; 03-07-2018 at 05:11 PM.
jdslim (03-08-2018)
Old 03-07-2018, 07:07 PM
HenryT
Road Master
Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

Long distance on a bike is more about the rider than the bike.

jdslim (03-08-2018)
Old 03-07-2018, 10:43 PM
NCBANDIT
Tourer
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Last summer I did around 2,000 miles on a week long trip with no windshield and stock seat. The sheep skin seat cover and cruise control made it comfortable. Without these 2 things it would have been miserable. It’s all about the set up that works for you, so go ride for 3 hours straight and see what changes you need to make. Once your dialed in you can ride all day on just about anything. A good example of how it really is a personal thing is a lot of people prefer a back rest on long trips, but for me they don't work at all because I'm a sloucher and can slouch and hang on all day.

Last edited by NCBANDIT; 03-07-2018 at 10:48 PM.
jdslim (03-08-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 07:39 AM
durtyburt
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Not sure what your time frame is but I would stop for frequent breaks if possible.Let us know how it goes and have a safe trip.

Last edited by durtyburt; 03-08-2018 at 07:41 AM.
jdslim (03-08-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 08:13 AM
Sticks24
Road Warrior
Received 380 Likes on 191 Posts

I have done three long trips on my slim S and this is what I have found. You don't want to do it on the stock seat. You need to find a nice after market seat. This is the most important part of your bike when it comes to travelling. I would say the next thing you want to do is give yourself alternate foot positions. Keeping you legs in one position for too long a period gets very tiring. I built highway pegs for my footboards, which helped, but for this years trip, I am getting a highway bar with pegs, so I can have more flexibility. I found I was getting some chaffing under my legs on the seat. I want to be able to lift my feet higher for next trip. Now I would highly recommend a backrest. Not everyone likes the look, but I am 53, with some back issues, and the backrest is a God send. Just lean back and hit the gas. Takes all the stress off of your hands, arms, and shoulders. You will also want a shield of some kind for the front of your bike. Wind in your face is fun for a little bit, but gets tiring pretty quick on a long trip. Otherwise the bike was great. Lots of power. Good fuel economy. Suspension is acceptable. Cruise control is amazing! Works so nicely.

jdslim (03-08-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 01:28 PM
jdslim
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is her! 100% bone stock. I need to get a new seat and windshield ASAP!

Have any of you had problems with the 110 overheating? I’ve noticed if I’m running her hard and I stop at a gas station or something, I have to wait until she completly cools down or she’s won’t start up. This is really my only concern bc I don’t want to end up stranded in BFE.
Thank you all for the info., I’ll post some pics when I get back at the end of the month.

Quick Reply: Long Distance on 2016 Softail Slim S