Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 breakout 114 problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 09:51 AM
AZRenegade
Tourer
Received 84 Likes on 44 Posts

If Harley is anything like GM, the dealer will be directed by HD to download the data from the ECU and forward it to them for analysis. The dealer has no incentive to refuse a warranty claim and HD knows this. They make money either from you or HD. With GM the request is only issued if a motor or transmission fails. GM doesn't have the time to review all drive train warranty claims so they only review major failures. Since you may be experiencing sumping and since it is becoming a common issue with the M8, if you remove potential violations before going to the dealer for service, HD probably won't dig too deep if a claim becomes necessary. Especially if the dealer vouches for you.

I would get to the dealer asap and establish that you have a problem. That way, if you fry your motor, you are on record as having a known issue and a warranty claim should be successful. Good luck!

Old 05-02-2018, 10:27 AM
matte
Stellar HDF Member
Received 804 Likes on 440 Posts

Based on the overt failures experienced here, I'm fairly certain the dealer will be referring this on to HD. Especially with this being a new softail with the M8 which they are still working the bugs out of. At the least, he needs to make everything bone-stock again to hopefully keep his warranty intact by making the dealer believe he did nothing to it. Doesn't sound like the most practical or realistic situation overall and for the engine to fail like this being "completely stock" is an even less realistic scenario. It will likely be referred on and they will find out about the FP3.

Old 05-02-2018, 10:42 AM
jhblaze1
Cruiser
Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocker B
Not sure what the problem is...but the FP3 will probably void any warranty claim.
I wish people would stop saying this. I'm aware of the "Consent Decree", but I'm not actually aware of anyone having their warranty voided over a fuel pak. In fact when I was in the dealership yesterday dropping mine off, one of the service guys was on the phone suggesting to a customer to put a Power Commander of FP3 in their bike.....I can only assume the customer on the other end of the line was still under warranty because only a retard would get any work done on a vehicle at a dealership if they are outside of warranty period.

I have my 2017 in the shop now for a warranty issue relating to the fuel pump. They know I have VH pipes, VH air cleaner, and FP3. No problem.

Last year I had an issue with the throttle getting stuck wide open (almost ****ing killed me on highway) and they fixed it under warranty no questions asked despite my FP3.

They will not cover problems that they can say were actually caused by the FP3, which is reasonable.

OP issue sounds mechanical...something in tranny or primary. Not something a tuner could possibly cause.

Originally Posted by matte
Based on the overt failures experienced here, I'm fairly certain the dealer will be referring this on to HD. Especially with this being a new softail with the M8 which they are still working the bugs out of. At the least, he needs to make everything bone-stock again to hopefully keep his warranty intact by making the dealer believe he did nothing to it. Doesn't sound like the most practical or realistic situation overall and for the engine to fail like this being "completely stock" is an even less realistic scenario. It will likely be referred on and they will find out about the FP3.
Face. Palm.

Originally Posted by T^2
Ya.... ummm humm... Might want to do a little more study on the subject...

If that FP3 isn't enough the do the warranty in (which it is), that V&H pipe can certainly put the last nail in the coffin all by itself. But hey... I bet it sounded good for those 89 miles.

Good luck.
Seriously, where do you come up with this ****? I have all that **** on my bike and haven't had my warranty voided. I'll post in here in the next couple days a $0 receipt for when I get my bike back with the fuel pump issue fixed.

Spreading dumb made up misinformation is stupid.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 05-05-2018 at 06:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
bmedeiros678 (10-24-2021)
Old 05-02-2018, 10:55 AM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,304 Likes on 3,395 Posts

Possibly sumping?

Old 05-02-2018, 11:18 AM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,173 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by jhblaze1
Seriously, where do you come up with this ****? I have all that **** on my bike and haven't had my warranty voided. I'll post in here in the next couple days a $0 receipt for when I get my bike back with the fuel pump issue fixed.

Spreading dumb made up misinformation is stupid.
Where do I get this information? Well... I can read. Can you? I've applied that skill set to the actual warranty contract. It's written in unambiguous English. You might want to try giving it a whirl.

With that in mind... I don't give a **** about your personal experience or whatever half *** anecdotal evidence you may have. None of it means a damn thing legally. Neither does what a dealer says. What matters legally is what's in that warranty contract between the end customer and Harley Davidson (has nothing to do with the dealer).

What any dealer does, or even what HD chooses to do, or not to do, or has done, or not done, in any particular case is immaterial. What HD can do - as spelled out in that warranty - should they chose to exercise any of their options in that contract is all that really matters - particularly to anyone that wants to keep the warranty coverage intact.

That warranty contract states - in no uncertain terms - that either of these items can void the warranty. Period. If you attempt to read the warranty, and your lack of reading comprehension prevents you from getting the picture, well that's on you.

When it comes to advising somebody about "Spreading dumb made up misinformation", I suggest you might want to go look into a mirror.

Last edited by T^2; 05-02-2018 at 11:28 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by T^2:
HenryT (05-02-2018), KenRice (05-03-2018), Rocker B (05-02-2018)
Old 05-02-2018, 11:26 AM
PlasdoSport
Cruiser
Received 158 Likes on 50 Posts

Subscribed to see how this pans out for you. Hopefully your bike repair is covered and you are back on two wheels soon! Good Luck!!

Old 05-02-2018, 11:58 AM
matte
Stellar HDF Member

I wish people would stop saying this. I'm aware of the "Consent Decree", but I'm not actually aware of anyone having their warranty voided over a fuel pak. In fact when I was in the dealership yesterday dropping mine off, one of the service guys was on the phone suggesting to a customer to put a Power Commander of FP3 in their bike.....I can only assume the customer on the other end of the line was still under warranty because only a retard would get any work done on a vehicle at a dealership if they are outside of warranty period.

I have my 2017 in the shop now for a warranty issue relating to the fuel pump. They know I have VH pipes, VH air cleaner, and FP3. No problem.

Last year I had an issue with the throttle getting stuck wide open (almost ****ing killed me on highway) and they fixed it under warranty no questions asked despite my FP3.

They will not cover problems that they can say were actually caused by the FP3, which is reasonable.

OP issue sounds mechanical...something in tranny or primary. Not something a tuner could possibly cause.
Two issues with your anecdote. Pre-M8 engines have a long history of Harley ignoring tuner and pipe changes because they were part and parcel in the game of doing it and got busted for it. Now they have a higher burden of not supporting it and have more leverage from those findings to justify termination of a warranty. There are clear statements in the M8 forum by 2017 tourers who have stated big harley invalidated their warranty for making such changes.

Second: the fact that they didn't invalidate your warranty because of a stuck throttle is clear. It isn't something that can be caused by changes to your ECM or by changing pipes.

But note Jessica Sinclair had an engine failure of even her pre-m8 breakout and Harley invalidated hers based on her "quiet baffles" (even though she told us she was also drag racing). This guy had an engine failure regardless of the technicality of what part of the engine (transmission, etc) it started. This is by all evidence a brand new bike with an engine that is new by harley standards. The moco as a whole would (or shoud) be super interested in this and figuring out why it happened. They also have broad latitude to make any statement they want on whether that component will or won't be negatively affected by a flashed ECM. Most people won't have the cash to lawyer up and fight it and certainly won't have the expertise to be able to refute their claims.

It all comes down to comfort. If you want to swap these parts on a new engine Harley, you should probably be comfortable with footing the bill for a new engine or making the repairs yourself and not be reliant on a warranty. If you aren't, then stick with the terms and don't be worried about how much you hate the pipe's look/sound of the bike you chose to spend up to $20,000 on.

The following users liked this post:
Rocker B (05-02-2018)
Old 05-02-2018, 12:16 PM
jhblaze1
Cruiser
Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by T^2
Where do I get this information? Well... I can read. Can you? I've applied that skill set to the actual warranty contract. It's written in unambiguous English. You might want to try giving it a whirl.

With that in mind... I don't give a **** about your personal experience or whatever half *** anecdotal evidence you may have. None of it means a damn thing legally. Neither does what a dealer says. What matters legally is what's in that warranty contract between the end customer and Harley Davidson (has nothing to do with the dealer).

What any dealer does, or even what HD chooses to do, or not to do, or has done, or not done, in any particular case is immaterial. What HD can do - as spelled out in that warranty - should they chose to exercise any of their options in that contract is all that really matters - particularly to anyone that wants to keep the warranty coverage intact.

That warranty contract states - in no uncertain terms - that either of these items can void the warranty. Period. If you attempt to read the warranty, and your lack of reading comprehension prevents you from getting the picture, well that's on you.

When it comes to advising somebody about "Spreading dumb made up misinformation", I suggest you might want to go look into a mirror.
cool story there Scooter. I ride with lots of people with 2017 or later bikes, modded, and no one I know has ever had their claim denied.....And yes I'm aware of what the warranty says as well as what the EPA settlement consent decree says. What actually matters is whether or not HD is actually putting it into practice...which they're not.

But again, I'll post a pic later this week of my 0 bill and then you can STFU with your stupid bullshit.

Old 05-02-2018, 12:23 PM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,173 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by matte
Second: the fact that they didn't invalidate your warranty because of a stuck throttle is clear. It isn't something that can be caused by changes to your ECM or by changing pipes.
Should be careful here. Just for clarification... This statement might suggest that you are speaking of the protections afforded under the MMWA. I might suggest that one not expect to get much mileage out of that act in this case. You seem to allude to the same in the examples you provide further down.

cool story there Scooter. I ride with lots of people with 2017 or later bikes, modded, and no one I know has ever had their claim denied.....And yes I'm aware of what the warranty says as well as what the EPA settlement consent decree says. What actually matters is whether or not HD is actually putting it into practice...which they're not.

But again, I'll post a pic later this week of my 0 bill and then you can STFU with your stupid bullshit.
More immaterial trash.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 05-05-2018 at 06:04 PM.
Old 05-02-2018, 12:44 PM
matte
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by T^2
Should be careful here. Just for clarification... This statement might suggest that you are speaking of the protections afforded under the MMWA. I might suggest that one not expect to get much mileage out of that act in this case. You seem to allude to the same in the examples you provide further down.
I'll be interested to see how this plays out. But if people were willing to put their thoughts to the test, then they would be telling the OP to get that bike in completely altered and to let the chips fall where they may. Yet most here are suggesting he try to mask the alterations and lie about his own choices. Stand up people when money's concerned.

Quick Reply: 2018 breakout 114 problems