Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shifting Issues 2002 Heritage Classic

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 04:01 AM
kc2002
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifting Issues 2002 Heritage Classic

I have a 2002 Heritage Softail Classic(In signature pic below). I had a RevTech 6 Speed gear set installed and ever since, shifting into first is interesting seems it grinds a bit then you have to push it into gear quick. Second gear is really hard. After it warms up it is a little better. I have checked and adjusted the clutch cable...clutch..primary. Still is an issue. I had a falling out with the guy that installed it so I can't take it back to him. Was wondering if anyone could give any advice on what to do next before taking it to a shop? I thought maybe adjusting the shift linkage rod or pawl adjustment? To get to the pawl I have to take the starter out. I appreciate any advice, thanks.

KC

Old 07-20-2018, 04:34 PM
LXT
Road Master
Received 556 Likes on 341 Posts

Not to be mean - but its a revtech, they`re cheap all around, they will last long enough to cause you problems. I don't blame you for wanting a 6 speed Im always wanting to shift mine from 5 to 6 & dam.....not there! ive been into a few of those & the tolerances are not very good (very sloppy) did you inspect the gear cluster before install? ive seen them with machining burrs, the gear lash can be tight here & lose there, you are probably noticing that the higher gears are smoother than 1 & 2?

easy bandaid = drain fluid - check magnet for shavings & put in a good fluid & see how that does, if really bad = you may have no choice but to go internal & check it out. Good luck!

Old 07-21-2018, 03:32 AM
kc2002
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LXT
Not to be mean - but its a revtech, they`re cheap all around, they will last long enough to cause you problems. I don't blame you for wanting a 6 speed Im always wanting to shift mine from 5 to 6 & dam.....not there! ive been into a few of those & the tolerances are not very good (very sloppy) did you inspect the gear cluster before install? ive seen them with machining burrs, the gear lash can be tight here & lose there, you are probably noticing that the higher gears are smoother than 1 & 2?

easy bandaid = drain fluid - check magnet for shavings & put in a good fluid & see how that does, if really bad = you may have no choice but to go internal & check it out. Good luck!
I appreciate the response. Not a big RevTech fan either but he recommended them. He has a set in his bike which he has thousands of miles on. I've read good and bad on RevTech. It's hit and miss. I debated on even posting the question because it is a RevTech gearset but long story short I have money in it now so just trying to get it right. And because he took the gearset out of the trans he ordered, I have no warranty. I know I could take him to court or just stomp him but neither would get my money back (He stays broke).I don't know much about the internals. I did adjust the clutch...clutch cable...and when I checked the primary again it was a bit tight. Rotated it around to find the tightest spot and set it right. Took it down the road again and it's changing like it should at the moment. The gears do feel a bit sloppy to me. 6th is a little noisey I noticed. I can probably run some heavier fluid in the gearbox and hopefully clear some of that up. 1 & 2 are okay. 3 shifts a little hard. The rest going into gear fine. Any certain fluid you recommend ? I've heard Amsoil 20/50...Redline Heavy w/Shockproof...etc. He said he has "Break-in" fluid in it that you keep in for 1000 miles then change it out. I'm hoping at this point it makes it 1000 miles.

Last edited by kc2002; 07-21-2018 at 03:34 AM.
Old 07-24-2018, 09:15 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,409 Likes on 4,015 Posts

Well, we have all made equipment/modification decisions that were less than successful..... Can't polish a turd, but sometimes you gotta try....!

I'm no trans expert, but have played around with a couple. It seems to me you have your adjustments as good as they're gonna get...

At this point, the easiest, cheapest thing to try is is a different fluid.... many to choose from, just get a brand name...

Everything else you mention, seems to be the nature of the beast, RevTech that is...

Good luck...

Old 07-24-2018, 09:27 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 753 Likes on 461 Posts

Try putting in AMSOIL gear oil 75W110.
I can across a great deal on some off craigslist and will never use anything else.

Other than the traditional "clunk" noise when going into 1st I had no issues.
However the gear oil quiet that down a lot as well as it seems to make my shifting smoother.

That's the best advice I can provide.