Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stage 1...but was it tuned?? new used bike...

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 10:18 AM
nrg2brn
Intermediate
Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Stage 1...but was it tuned?? new used bike...

apologies for the ridiculously large pics. im attempting to do this from a phone. well, at least you can see the plugs real good :-)

Just purchased a 13 softail deluxe with v and h straightshots, baffled, and a big sucker air cleaner, thats the good news, but what may not be is im not sure it was tuned, there are some signs: excessive pop on decel. I mean..a lot. I do expect some. also, not noticing its much more powerful than the stock. I feel like stage one should be noticeable? maybe a little...maybe. Also, take a look at these plugs. I feel like they are whiter than im used to seeing? So is there any way to tune besides using the commander style things, or dyno tuning? almost miss the days when you could turn a screw...I just want it a little less lean. anyway, general opinons and help would be helpful before I venture into the shop and pay 4 bills for a tune.

thanks!

Old 08-14-2018, 11:26 AM
Screamin beagle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,007 Likes on 2,000 Posts

You can't get any info from the p.o.? **** can those screamin eagle plugs and get the plain Jane stock ones. Then if there's a good dyno shop available to you take it there and spend the 400 bucks...it will be the best 400 bucks you've spent in awhile. If you like to mess with your bike then get yourself a power vision and tune it that way. Personally I think we spend a ton of money for our bikes and then to upgrade parts so why short change the most important part...the tune. Unfortunately there's no cheap or easy way to tune the bike right.

The following users liked this post:
nrg2brn (08-15-2018)
Old 08-14-2018, 11:32 AM
gchristopher9
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by nrg2brn
apologies for the ridiculously large pics. im attempting to do this from a phone. well, at least you can see the plugs real good :-)

Just purchased a 13 softail deluxe with v and h straightshots, baffled, and a big sucker air cleaner, thats the good news, but what may not be is im not sure it was tuned, there are some signs: excessive pop on decel. I mean..a lot. I do expect some. also, not noticing its much more powerful than the stock. I feel like stage one should be noticeable? maybe a little...maybe. Also, take a look at these plugs. I feel like they are whiter than im used to seeing? So is there any way to tune besides using the commander style things, or dyno tuning? almost miss the days when you could turn a screw...I just want it a little less lean. anyway, general opinons and help would be helpful before I venture into the shop and pay 4 bills for a tune.

thanks!
For what its worth I had V&H straight shots on my 2013 deluxe and was never able to eliminate the decel pop even with tuning and quiet baffles.

nrg2brn (08-15-2018)
Old 08-14-2018, 11:35 AM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,163 Likes on 1,930 Posts

I had the same question when I bought a used Roadking. I went to my local dealer and they hooked it up and told me that it had a download. And believe it or not................NO CHARGE!

nrg2brn (08-14-2018)
Old 08-15-2018, 12:03 AM
nrg2brn
Intermediate

no, cant get info from previous owner, bought at a dealer. but from ear memory, and a few other bikes, i know the pop is a little much - a few sound like gunfire, and i swear to god i saw a flame pop out the back at one pont....... so i go to one place, they want to hook up a laptop and tune, and give me a usb stick. forgot the name, but the next place said that was good, but old tech, and id be better off with a commander5. but another place said those dont work well after a few years - he has a stack of them that took on moisture, and went haywire. understand, im doing no more mods on this bike, so im going with powervision license for 200 and a dyno tune for 250 from a trusted shop. one and done - done right, and guaranteed. a tune and dyno can dial it in a little tighter.

Old 08-15-2018, 12:08 AM
nrg2brn
Intermediate

oh, and hey, perki48 - yeah, i got a call in to the dealer i bought the bike from - im absolutely demanding that they tune this thing! as I feel that if you sell a bike with stage one, it is the dealers ethical responsibility to make sure it runs right. ill let you know what they say, the pay for tune is my plan B because i dont expect much from them. glad you got proper service!!

Old 08-15-2018, 06:18 AM
cocky
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 124 Posts

I have the HD SE race tuner on my 13 deluxe with V&H BSS. I cannot completely get the backfire out either. Dealer did all they can do, so they say. However it's down to a small rumble when you let off the gas under 2800 rpms. Any thing above 2800 rpms, and it sounds like a truck doing a jaybreak, as it should. I can live with it. Kinda cool really. Does yours have a box under the seat. If it's not a flash, it would be there.

Old 08-15-2018, 11:47 AM
nrg2brn
Intermediate

oh yeah, im cool with a little pop, I like the sound as well, its the lean condition that makes the engine run hot that I dont like. dealer said they can dyno tune it for 325, but im bucking for ZERO as I bought a bike that needed it, basically I feel they sold me a faulty bike that needed service. wish me luck. lol. nice bike btw.

thanks
d

Old 08-15-2018, 12:22 PM
aviscomi
Grand HDF Member
Received 424 Likes on 255 Posts

I would suggest just buying a FP3 and be done with it.

Old 08-15-2018, 02:39 PM
HD_fan
Road Warrior
Received 589 Likes on 358 Posts

Im running the straight shots also with PV tune. There is still a little crakle pop...i like it! Make sure all the exhaust and intake bolts are tight.

Quick Reply: Stage 1...but was it tuned?? new used bike...