Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Monoshock replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 07:11 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,510 Likes on 2,133 Posts
Default Monoshock replacement?

The 2019 service manual is a great reference, but sometimes it gets very vague. I’m thinking about an Ohlins monoshock for my Fat Boy, and am trying to see how the shock is replaced. I was hoping it was a simple two bolt install, but it’s not looking quite that easy.

Has anyone done it? I know not a lot of ppl in this forum wrench, but I was hoping someone may have had a look at it.

Thanks.

Old 09-25-2018, 01:19 PM
FrankEV
Road Warrior
Received 799 Likes on 500 Posts

Other than the small mounting bolt for the adjuster control, it is only one bolt top and bottom. You need a long torx head for use with a socket to reach the lower bolt. The top bolt is a standard bolt and nut.
You do need a jack or lift the will raise the rear to release the tension on the bolts when removing and more so when reinstalling the new shock in order to line up the bolts with the holes. My cheap Harbor Freight lift worked fine to do this.
The whole remove and replace took less than a half hour of actual change time.

The following 3 users liked this post by FrankEV:
ktp1598 (09-25-2018), Mchad (09-25-2018), tx freebird (09-26-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 01:32 PM
Mchad
Club Member

Originally Posted by FrankEV
Other than the small mounting bolt for the adjuster control, it is only one bolt top and bottom. You need a long torx head for use with a socket to reach the lower bolt. The top bolt is a standard bolt and nut.
You do need a jack or lift the will raise the rear to release the tension on the bolts when removing and more so when reinstalling the new shock in order to line up the bolts with the holes. My cheap Harbor Freight lift worked fine to do this.
The whole remove and replace took less than a half hour of actual change time.
Nice! Thanks a lot. I have a J&S floor jack and a small platform scissor jack that will probably work best (easy to raise and lower incrementally)

Now to come up with the eight bills for the shock!

Old 09-25-2018, 03:20 PM
FrankEV
Road Warrior
Received 799 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by Mchad
Now to come up with the eight bills for the shock!
I changed out my monoshock and the front suspension for the H-D low profile suspensions because I HAD to lower my Cherry. Personally I havn't heard anything about the Ohlins or other after market shocks that would make me want to change out the stock suspension. If you are doing it just for comfort I feel you might be wasting your $$$. From all the reports I've read herein these threads, the new suspension on the '18 and up Softails really can't be improved on much for comfort. If you are trying to change the height, that is another story.

And, in my case, changing out the front suspension and using the heavy fork oil made the most diference in how the bike feels and reacts to heavy braking. Much more stable.

If and when you do change it out please write a full report to let us know if they should be considered.

Thanks

Last edited by FrankEV; 09-25-2018 at 03:23 PM.
Old 09-25-2018, 03:30 PM
Mchad
Club Member

Originally Posted by FrankEV
I changed out my monoshock and the front suspension for the H-D low profile suspensions because I HAD to lower my Cherry. Personally I havn't heard anything about the Ohlins or other after market shocks that would make me want to change out the stock suspension. If you are doing it just for comfort I feel you might be wasting your $$$. From all the reports I've read herein these threads, the new suspension on the '18 and up Softails really can't be improved on much for comfort. If you are trying to change the height, that is another story.

And, in my case, changing out the front suspension and using the heavy fork oil made the most diference in how the bike feels and reacts to heavy braking. Much more stable.

If and when you do change it out please write a full report to let us know if they should be considered.

Thanks
That's interesting. It would primarily be for comfort, yes. I find with my weight ~300lbs, the amount of preload makes it a harder ride then I'd like ride. The Ohlins I have on my FXR and previous bikes, when setup with the right spring rate is much more comfortable then compressing an under rate spring down to meet the weight carrying needs.

Old 09-25-2018, 03:39 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

I removed my rear fender when swapping as recommended by the service manual which added a few steps. Minor pita, but fine. You’ll need loctitte also. Sounds like Frank didn’t need to, so maybe I could have skipped that part.

Many aspects of a shock can make it perform better without comfort or height being the reigning concern. The stock Heritage shock is the best factory shock I’ve ridden from HD, but I’m sure the Ohlin would be significantly better performing.

800 is pretty budget for an Ohlin. I’m assuming it’s a taller shock as well?

Old 09-25-2018, 04:01 PM
Mchad
Club Member

Originally Posted by Thingfish
I removed my rear fender when swapping as recommended by the service manual which added a few steps. Minor pita, but fine. You’ll need loctitte also. Sounds like Frank didn’t need to, so maybe I could have skipped that part.

Many aspects of a shock can make it perform better without comfort or height being the reigning concern. The stock Heritage shock is the best factory shock I’ve ridden from HD, but I’m sure the Ohlin would be significantly better performing.

800 is pretty budget for an Ohlin. I’m assuming it’s a taller shock as well?
It is supposedly stock height. I don't have a lot of detail yet, I am just starting to think about it. The one model looks pretty basic - I don't see any mention of adjustments for compression dampening, only rebound and preload obviously. Even without it though I expect an improvement. I know the entry level S36E's on my Dyna's were a huge improvement even w/o adjust

Old 09-26-2018, 05:59 AM
drinktothat421
Road Master
Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

What model and where did you find the ohlins?

Old 09-26-2018, 06:18 AM
Mchad
Club Member

Originally Posted by drinktothat421
What model and where did you find the ohlins?
HD501

Howard at Motorcycle Metal is selling them, along with several others. When I was looking at my FBS I gave him a call and he told me about it.

Google search for “Ohlins Softail”

Old 09-26-2018, 06:30 AM
woodreaux
Road Captain
Received 115 Likes on 85 Posts

Impressive that Ohlins has a softail solution. I have Ohlins front and rear on my Road Glide and am very satisfied and impressed every time I ride it.
Are you going to install Ohlins front cartridges along with the mono shock?

Quick Reply: Monoshock replacement?