Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wobble

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2018, 11:08 AM
Keep it Twisted
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wobble

I get on my new used 2004 Heritage Softail for the first time and go for a ride! Sounds fine! As I return from a mile or 2 run I hit the small curb coming up the driveway and hear a crack noise around the neck? Pay it no never mind! A few days later I head out and got into some rough stuff and I hear it again?
So I call the dealer for info because I just bought it and they make sure to tell me that when they went over the bike there was nothing wrong then! Plus offer no help or info! I took the bike out after it sitting for a few weeks and was feeling a little brave. I jacked the throttle on take off and as I got up to about 45 50 mph my bike started the ole death wobble! I’m all the years I’ve never had that problem! I backed it down and rode slow back to the shop! So I’m all of your years of riding what do you think it may be? It’s pretty much winter here now so I have plenty of time to go over everything!!! Thanks for your help ahead of time! Can I sue the dealer? Cause I know this ain’t gonna be cheap! lol

Old 11-08-2018, 11:17 AM
Pitbull_Dallas
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Yoke bearings need tightening. I use the term yoke because I'm old school..

Check the pinch bolts too.

Last edited by Pitbull_Dallas; 11-08-2018 at 11:21 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Keep it Twisted (11-09-2018)
Old 11-08-2018, 11:29 AM
Keep it Twisted
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Pitbull_Dallas
Yoke bearings need tightening. I use the term yoke because I'm old school..

Check the pinch bolts too.

Gotcha on the old school! Should I just replace them?

Old 11-08-2018, 12:03 PM
Pitbull_Dallas
Road Master

Nah, just tighten the per spec. When I first got my bike it felt like it wanted to head for the pavement in curves and turns and I also had that snap noise when I'd hit a sharp bump. It was really unnerving. It turned out the yoke bearings and pinch bolts weren't tighten correctly, allowing the forks to twist while leaning in curves/turns. After a retorque it has handled like a cadallac..

The dealer said they checked everything, but I'll guarantee you they didn't check that. About all they do is change the oil, check brake fluid levels and brake pads.

Last edited by Pitbull_Dallas; 11-08-2018 at 12:06 PM.
Old 11-08-2018, 01:31 PM
Keep it Twisted
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Pitbull_Dallas
Nah, just tighten the per spec. When I first got my bike it felt like it wanted to head for the pavement in curves and turns and I also had that snap noise when I'd hit a sharp bump. It was really unnerving. It turned out the yoke bearings and pinch bolts weren't tighten correctly, allowing the forks to twist while leaning in curves/turns. After a retorque it has handled like a cadallac..

The dealer said they checked everything, but I'll guarantee you they didn't check that. About all they do is change the oil, check brake fluid levels and brake pads.

Thanks brother I appreciate it! It was pretty unnerving! Kind of pissed me off! Ruined the whole experience of the trip picking it up and getting it home! We had a awesome time!

Old 11-08-2018, 03:05 PM
Pitbull_Dallas
Road Master

If you just got the bike, I'd show up at the dealer and tell them to do it. They technically sold a bike that wasn't road worthy. The problem I had with my bike was fixed for free by the dealer.

By the way, I didn't mention it, but before I got my bike fixed I did get the death wobble a couple of times. It occurred when making a hard stop using the front brake as well as the back. In a stop like that you throw a lot of weight on the front wheel and if things aren't tight things move. Think of like a shimmy on an old car with bad ball joints and tie rod ends

Last edited by Pitbull_Dallas; 11-08-2018 at 03:21 PM.
Old 11-09-2018, 12:34 AM
Keep it Twisted
2nd Gear

Gotcha...I would have taken it back to the dealer but they are 1000 miles away! It was a road trip purchase! No biggie. Im gonna go over the whole thing anyway! Thanks for your help...Keep it Twisted!

Old 11-09-2018, 07:08 AM
Pitbull_Dallas
Road Master

Ah, I didn't catch the distance part in the OP..