Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New model Softail fenders

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 07:17 AM
showin4fun
Tourer
Received 119 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackp5ca
I'm running Platinum Air in the back but before I did the air suspension swap I found placing the rear plate up under the rear fender closed down that gap a bit from the rear and made it look a bit better.
I used a generic curved plate mount (may have been Kuryakyn I cant recall?) and just fabbed up my own mount to the existing bracket under the fender. Maybe $80 invested?
I know this pic isn't the same with the air but you get the idea on the plate location.
Your bike looks really good! What did you do for a tail light with that set up? I was thinking about fabbing up a plate set up like the ChopZ unit but
I keep thinking that I would not end up with much of a tail light and signal light output. I got the E-Mark signal lights that ChopZ uses but have
not had a chance to try them yet. They look very small.

Old 11-18-2018, 09:12 AM
jam436
Supporter
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by LIMike

I looked into the platinum air Suspension. Does your suspension ever loose air? A friend of mine talked me out of doing the setup. He said his bike lost/leaked are and eventually fell over. From what I understand the newer air suspensions doesn’t loose as much air as fast?
I had a Shotgun Shock that was bulletproof.
Don't listen to the same few naysayers who always seem to chime in on every SS thread just to badmouth it, especially since they've never had one themselves. (Funny how that works huh?)
Once the initial novelty wears off and you stop playing with it every time you park it, you'll find your sweet spot and leave it alone. At least that's what I did, and for the last 3-4 years it never budged.
I only cycled the compressor up and down maybe once or twice a season just to make sure it was all in working order.
I can't remember the last time someone posted about a SS that leaked.

The following users liked this post:
LIMike (11-18-2018)
Old 11-18-2018, 04:22 PM
LIMike
Road Captain
Received 366 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by jam436
I had a Shotgun Shock that was bulletproof.
Don't listen to the same few naysayers who always seem to chime in on every SS thread just to badmouth it, especially since they've never had one themselves. (Funny how that works huh?)
Once the initial novelty wears off and you stop playing with it every time you park it, you'll find your sweet spot and leave it alone. At least that's what I did, and for the last 3-4 years it never budged.
I only cycled the compressor up and down maybe once or twice a season just to make sure it was all in working order.
I can't remember the last time someone posted about a SS that leaked.
Thank you Jam for your help on this!! Yes, I could definitely see how the novelty would wear off after some time. I do like the idea of being able to set the height at whatever you like at anytime. How does it ride? I’m not sure if they are making these for the 2018 softail yet. Your definitely giving me something to think about and look into. I was kinda hoping somebody would nudge me in that direction 😂
‘Thanks again Jam, I do appreciate it!!

Old 11-18-2018, 07:48 PM
Vrizzo
Advanced
Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by LIMike
I have been looking into the same thing for my 2018 slim. I found doing the suspension would do the trick. I have my new shock ordered and should be in the first week of December. I really didn’t want to go with the air suspension. As cool as it is, I really don’t trust it
what suspension did you go with? Have the part number by chance? I hate the gap on my slim. Kills the look so much

Old 11-18-2018, 08:25 PM
LIMike
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Vrizzo

what suspension did you go with? Have the part number by chance? I hate the gap on my slim. Kills the look so much
I went with the progressive shock. Not sure of the part number. It was the only shock that we could find that would work with the new softails. I know platinum air ride suspension will work. I wasn’t really sure about going with an air suspension. I do have to say I’m kinda thinking it over. I’m not sure if the air ride is even available though? My local HD dealer is closed tomorrow, I’ll talk to them on Tuesday about it. I’ll get you the part number as well

Old 11-18-2018, 09:26 PM
Vrizzo
Advanced
Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts

If you can post a pic after please I’d love to see the difference

Old 11-19-2018, 07:44 AM
Blackp5ca
Tourer
Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

Sorry late reply here...
The Platinum Air has been bullet proof, no air leaks, holds pressure all the time. Bike is parked for the winter now, I'll see if any air bleeds off over the next couple months while sitting. Took a while to find the sweet spot while riding but once you find it it's decent, install was easy, couple beer job as I was taking my time but anyone with basic tools and a jack can do the install.
Rear lights, if you look close at the pic you'll see I'm running some Arlen Ness signal lights, although they are small they are way brighter than the stock bullets. (I've switched bikes with a buddy and ridden behind my bike, hands down probably double the light output) There is a small LED strip light tucked up under the fender to illuminate the plate.

LIMike (11-19-2018)
Old 11-19-2018, 03:29 PM
LIMike
Road Captain

Sorry late reply here...
The Platinum Air has been bullet proof, no air leaks, holds pressure all the time. Bike is parked for the winter now, I'll see if any air bleeds off over the next couple months while sitting. Took a while to find the sweet spot while riding but once you find it it's decent, install was easy, couple beer job as I was taking my time but anyone with basic tools and a jack can do the install.
Rear lights, if you look close at the pic you'll see I'm running some Arlen Ness signal lights, although they are small they are way brighter than the stock bullets. (I've switched bikes with a buddy and ridden behind my bike, hands down probably double the light output) There is a small LED strip light tucked up under the fender to illuminate the plate.
that’s definitely good to hear. I think the air suspension set up it’s definitely cool and would love to use it, I was just concerned about the system leaking air. Now that you were explaining that you had no issues it definitely makes me feel better about doing the set up. I’m going to swing down to my local shop tomorrow and find out about the progressive air ride. The progressive shock that I ordered was just a shock it wasn’t an air suspension set up. I called shotgun shock today and they were saying that they won’t have a shock set up for the new softails until sometime next year. Looks like if I’m going air I’m going to have to go with progressive

Old 11-19-2018, 03:50 PM
Blackp5ca
Tourer
Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

There are a few air-mono shock suppliers out there already for the 18 up Softails. Legends Air, Arnott and Platinum are three that come to mind right away. I didn't think Progressive made an air shock?
I went with the Platinum for a couple reasons, I like the bleed and feed system and you're able to adjust rebound as well. The compressor comes with a box that gets mounted to the back of the transmission, it offers a bit of protection from debris and hides all the associated hardware. Looks good on the bike as well, clean and fills the gap under there a bit...the other systems I was looking at just had the compressor hanging down under there unprotected. (not that you couldn't fab something up on your own though)

LIMike (11-19-2018)
Old 11-19-2018, 04:18 PM
LIMike
Road Captain

There are a few air-mono shock suppliers out there already for the 18 up Softails. Legends Air, Arnott and Platinum are three that come to mind right away. I didn't think Progressive made an air shock?
I went with the Platinum for a couple reasons, I like the bleed and feed system and you're able to adjust rebound as well. The compressor comes with a box that gets mounted to the back of the transmission, it offers a bit of protection from debris and hides all the associated hardware. Looks good on the bike as well, clean and fills the gap under there a bit...the other systems I was looking at just had the compressor hanging down under there unprotected. (not that you couldn't fab something up on your own though)
yes, I’m sorry I meant platinum air ride not progressive. Progressive is what’s on backorder till December, shogun will be available sometime next year and platinum is available now and definitely looks cool. I just didn’t have anybody with real world experience with it so say yes or no! After hearing your experience makes me feel better about it. The platinum air ride has a couple of videos on YouTube that look pretty cool. I’ll talk to Harley tomorrow. Thanks again

Quick Reply: New model Softail fenders