Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FXDR rear "trunk" removal?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 12:34 PM
Sanjuro
Road Warrior

Received 1,616 Likes on 749 Posts
Default FXDR rear "trunk" removal?

Hello All,

I'm actually considering the FXDR, but am wondering if that rear "trunk"/storage area can just be unbolted from the frame.

I'd like to set it up as a bobber, and am thinking that maybe I can remove that part, and put a springer seat on.

Any thoughts?

R,
Sanjuro

Old 03-02-2019, 01:36 PM
BiKenG
Cruiser
Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Sanjuro
Hello All,

I'm actually considering the FXDR, but am wondering if that rear "trunk"/storage area can just be unbolted from the frame.

I'd like to set it up as a bobber, and am thinking that maybe I can remove that part, and put a springer seat on.

Any thoughts?

R,
Sanjuro
Interesting idea. I quite like the FXDR rear, but I also like the bobber style so I see where you're coming from.

I rather suspect that underneath the rear shroud/fender is a chunk of subframe. However that wouldn't be required if mounting a single bobber seat to the main frame. But I have no idea if it's easily removable or a welded part of the frame. So if the latter, how you proceed would rather depend on whether you want to be able to return it to standard.

If you do go ahead, keep us updated here. I'll certainly be interested in how you get on.