Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 softail springer primary oil level

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 12:02 PM
Rick S
Tourer
Received 80 Likes on 44 Posts
Default 2003 softail springer primary oil level

First I have a service manual and owners manual ordered. I just got this 2003 softail springer FXSTSi and I need to do a complete oil change for piece of mind. I have found the oil levels and capacity for trans and engine oil, but I cannot find how much the primary holds and to what level to check it at. If someone has a factory service manual for a 03 FXSTSi could you take a look and see what it says for capacity and what level do you check at? Also, does the derby cover use a O ring or a gasket?

I did find a owners manual online and while it had the engine and transmission oil change procedure it didn't have any real info on primary. Interesting enough I checked my 03 touring owners manual and it has the procedure for all three. Any help would be appreciated as I'd like to do it Monday morning.

Old 03-17-2019, 02:53 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,412 Likes on 4,016 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick S
First I have a service manual and owners manual ordered. I just got this 2003 softail springer FXSTSi and I need to do a complete oil change for piece of mind. I have found the oil levels and capacity for trans and engine oil, but I cannot find how much the primary holds and to what level to check it at. If someone has a factory service manual for a 03 FXSTSi could you take a look and see what it says for capacity and what level do you check at? Also, does the derby cover use a O ring or a gasket?

I did find a owners manual online and while it had the engine and transmission oil change procedure it didn't have any real info on primary. Interesting enough I checked my 03 touring owners manual and it has the procedure for all three. Any help would be appreciated as I'd like to do it Monday morning.

To answer your question, both my '01 HD Softail Service Manual and my '03 HD Softail Service Manual say approximately 26oz... and then show a pic, like the one posted below, for the proper level...

I wouldn't get too hung up on the amount listed in the service manual.... that is usually a good guesstimate... but whether it's a wet fill, or dry fill and the size of your primary cover (they changed over the years) will dictate the amount they suggest.....

Whether it's a softail, touring, dyna, or even an M8...... they may have different amounts, but they are all trying to get the primary oil level to the same place...

Bottom line, if you fill to the bottom of the clutch basket, with the bike level, you will be where you need to be....

PS- It will be anywhere between 26 oz and 36oz depending on wet fill/ dry fill/ narrow primary/ normal primary/ year of the bike etc.... I start at around 25oz and then top off to the bottom of the clutch basket by eye......

Last edited by hattitude; 03-17-2019 at 03:12 PM.
Old 03-17-2019, 04:18 PM
Rick S
Tourer
Received 80 Likes on 44 Posts

Thank you!