Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pinion shaft scoring.... Is my motor going to blow???

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 07:34 PM
Mabbott
Tourer
Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Pinion shaft scoring.... Is my motor going to blow???

Ok guys, I need some help here. I have an 08 deluxe, 96" with 23k miles. I started tearing down the bike to install woods 555 cams, lifters and pushrods. I get the old cam plate and cams out and notice the pinion shaft has scoring on it so now I'm pretty nervous.

This is my first time diving into engine work, which I'm not scared to do, just not much experience. From what I've read I need to check run out, which I don't have a gauge to do right now. Apparently 0-0.10" run out is acceptable?

I work at an aircraft machine shop doing in-house HVAC so I'm hoping I can find a gauge to check the run out tomorrow, but I just want some opinions.

I guess I just want to hear from some more experienced people what they have seen in these situations. Do you see scoring on the shaft even when it's still in the acceptable range? What exactly causes this? If it is out of the tolerable range, if I keep running it like this what can I expect? If it's on the very end of the tolerable range, are there there I should keep an eye on? Am I way over thinking this and it's not a huge deal?

Lol sorry for all the questions but I'm just worried I'm going to be looking for a crate motor lol. Here's some pictures of the pinion shaft. Thanks for all the help!

Old 03-20-2019, 07:46 PM
joe40x
Road Warrior
Received 656 Likes on 383 Posts

Relax. Most of them look just like that. If you can't catch a fingernail on it, I wouldn't worry about it. I would still check runout.

Old 03-20-2019, 07:56 PM
Grand HDF Member

Received 5,372 Likes on 2,228 Posts

Some good info in this thread that I found when doing my cams --- https://www.hdforums.com/forum/engin...d-bushing.html

Last edited by 702; 03-20-2019 at 08:20 PM.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:18 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,628 Likes on 1,176 Posts

Looks pretty much like mine, no issues.

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click HERE For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sportsters

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Old 03-20-2019, 08:30 PM
Mabbott
Tourer
Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by 702
Some good info in this thread that I found when doing my cams --- https://www.hdforums.com/forum/engin...d-bushing.html
Thanks man, that's some good info. That's pretty much what mine looks like and only the top half of that brass bushing in the oil pump has slight scoring on it. That makes makes me feel better. I just got a little nervous lol. It's usually not good seeing scoring on metal in an engine 😅😲

Old 03-20-2019, 08:35 PM
Grand HDF Member

Received 5,372 Likes on 2,228 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabbott
Thanks man, that's some good info. That's pretty much what mine looks like and only the top half of that brass bushing in the oil pump has slight scoring on it. That makes makes me feel better. I just got a little nervous lol. It's usually not good seeing scoring on metal in an engine 😅😲
Mine looked like that too. I didn't even bother with checking runout after reading that thread. Have fun with your project.