Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Hard bag conversion kits on Amazon? Good or no?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 05:27 PM
jeremyford07
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harley Hard bag conversion kits on Amazon? Good or no?

Have a 07 Heritage Softail. Ive been looking at some different Harley hard saddlebag conversion kits online for the softails and notice several that were between the $550 to $700 range. Came across several kits on amazon that looked identical that were around $250 to $300. Anyone used any of those kits and had good results? Or in the least just used the conversion brackets with a set of oem bags? Conversion brackets are only like $40 bucks so just wondering if the kits are worth it. A little fab or modifying isnt an issue for me if anyones had small hiccups with it. appreciate any input..Thanks

Old 03-26-2019, 06:39 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 751 Likes on 459 Posts

I have the TCMT bags off Amazon.
There are not OEM quality but aren't that bad and have been pleased with them.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Y7XMESW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Y7XMESW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Another decision you'll need to make is what type of mounts do you want.

You can go with the cheapest:

https://www.amazon.com/Saddlebag-Conversion-Brackets-Davidson-Hardware/dp/B019BTF73K/ref=sr_1_9?keywords=softail+saddlebag+mounts&qid=1553599788&s=automotive&sr=1-9 https://www.amazon.com/Saddlebag-Conversion-Brackets-Davidson-Hardware/dp/B019BTF73K/ref=sr_1_9?keywords=softail+saddlebag+mounts&qid=1553599788&s=automotive&sr=1-9

You can go with the more expensive and most supportive:
https://www.amazon.com/Cycle-Visions-Bagger-Tail-Softail-CV-7200A/dp/B000GVBJOE/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3QJ1PK7FLU3SH&keywords=cycle+vision+bagger+tail+mount+black&qid=1553599923&s=automotive&sprefix=cycle+vision+bagger+tail%2Cautomotive%2C175&sr=1-1 https://www.amazon.com/Cycle-Visions-Bagger-Tail-Softail-CV-7200A/dp/B000GVBJOE/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3QJ1PK7FLU3SH&keywords=cycle+vision+bagger+tail+mount+black&qid=1553599923&s=automotive&sprefix=cycle+vision+bagger+tail%2Cautomotive%2C175&sr=1-1

I went in between and got the "Asian" baggertail knock-offs off e-bay for $105.

I looked on ebay but don't see what I got listed so perhaps they aren't made anymore.
In any case; knowing what I do I would pay up for the Baggertail or similar mounts due to they are very supportive.
I can load either bag down with a lot of weight and the bags stay firmly in place without sag or flexing.

Last edited by Bluraven; 03-26-2019 at 06:41 AM.
Old 03-26-2019, 07:34 AM
GRWHD
Road Warrior
Received 256 Likes on 207 Posts

I would have to check my history at home to find the kit I bought....
But with a little English it fit.
I tried contacting them about the issue I was having and about 1.5 weeks after I adjusted the kit so it would fit I got a response.
They were kind of in a huff over my review of there product.
I told them if you advertise customer support you should actually give it.

Also the kits I have seen most (not sure all) say you can use the stock passenger peg bolts.
DON'T. Go to your local hardware store (or order some online) (unless the kit comes with them) and get the next longer bolt & use some blue loctite when you install them.
The bags work fine, decent quality (not HD fit/finish).

I will be swapping over to Rushmore bags (finally) in the next week or so (parts still coming in).

Old 03-26-2019, 11:33 AM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Received 492 Likes on 343 Posts

From what I've seen, the Cycle Visions kit is the way to go.
The bags need to be supported at the bottom like the factory
set up. it is more $, but by far a better set up.

I would put some kind of insulation on the support rail.
That would also raise the bags up a hair, then adj those little
swivel mounting brkts accordingly.
That puts the bottom of the bag even with the bottom of the fender.

Old 03-26-2019, 11:35 AM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Received 492 Likes on 343 Posts

Plus . . . They have, filler panels, bag guards (and rails)
If you want them
But it's all $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-01-2019, 07:43 PM
Kram_Shane
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found these on amazon for $220. they're abs plastic, came primed and ready to paint and also came with the conversion brackets. you can find the latch kits on amazon for like $50. getting ready to have them painted soon so ill let you know when I do. quality seems pretty decent. they're thick and solid. the mounting brackets are kind of sketchy and I'm not a fan of how the bags mount but I think with a small spacer (you'll see what I'm talking about if you get a set) they'll be rock solid.

sorry they came out sideways, not sure how to fix that.

Attached Thumbnails Harley Hard bag conversion kits on Amazon? Good or no?-hard-bag-2.jpg   Harley Hard bag conversion kits on Amazon? Good or no?-hard-bag.jpg  

Last edited by Kram_Shane; 04-01-2019 at 07:45 PM.
Old 04-02-2019, 10:27 AM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Most of the aftermarket kits are very close to the same quality, all use ABS bags now.

I bought lowers and extended bags for my RG custom from Mutazu and they were very good quality and good service. You can get them in primed, vivid black or matte black.

here is a link for Vivid Black with all the mounting hardware for < $300
https://www.mutazu.com/products/harl...for-harley-h-d

If you want extended bags they also offer those. But on a fatboy-Deluxe or Heritage extended are easy to drag and IMO dont look as good matching up with the stock rear fender

Last edited by XARAN; 04-02-2019 at 10:29 AM.
Old 04-02-2019, 11:42 AM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 215 Posts

I used a mounting kit from eBay with the TCMT rushmore bags. I painted the bags, and got keyed to match locks. The only thing I changed is I cut off the mounting posts and bought the 2017+ Touring screw in levers and threads. They are very solid and work well.

The following 2 users liked this post by steelerdude1:
hardtimes2 (04-06-2019), pehirsch (04-02-2019)
Old 04-02-2019, 03:07 PM
Shane T
Tourer
Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

I've been running Road King bags with Baggertail brackets on my Deluxe and decided I want something I could lock up. Found a like new set of 2012 Street Glide bags in Demim black on CL. Had to extend the u-shaped brackets but it worked. Once I got them on I didn't like the way it looked. I've got my thoughts as to why but wonder what you all think.

Old 04-03-2019, 03:36 PM
Poppawhiskey
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Shane T Looks good. I think you need some color adjustments on the bags and you'll be styling.
How did you get your passenger footboards to fit? I just finished installing bags and trunk purchased from NastyHog.com, and I can't mount my passenger footboards.

Quick Reply: Harley Hard bag conversion kits on Amazon? Good or no?