Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heritage questions from a newbie

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2019, 07:13 PM
Philbert5
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will the S&S 509 work on a 1994 Evo engine?

Old 05-29-2019, 09:48 PM
Gas Smasher
Road Captain

Received 649 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by Cotton1

I need to start investigating the tuners. Not sure what I need there. I know how to swap jets and adjust AFR on a carb but will have to learn how to make the same result with a computer and I am not a tech person at all. @Gas Smasher - just for the record, I can not send PM until I have been here for 30 days. I did figure that much out.

Cotton1
No worries. I really don't have that stuff for sale, just when I run across someone that needs it I offer it. PM me when you are ready. It isn't going anywhere and I'll make you a deal on it. You may want to move on to something more advanced in time, but the FuelPak I have is dead simple and will get you fixed up.

Old 05-29-2019, 09:52 PM
Gas Smasher
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Philbert5
Will the S&S 509 work on a 1994 Evo engine?
The EVO is a single cam engine. The 509 grind is a twin cam offering. The 509 is a pretty mild cam, but it works well with engines that are basically stock. Gives more torque than stock. Go on the engine mechanical board and do some search and ask there if you don't find answers. Some very knowledgeable guys hanging out there.

Old 05-29-2019, 09:55 PM
Gas Smasher
Road Captain

CVO2015,

Thanks for the pictures and info. Nice looking bike. I like the idea of that OilBud cooler. Does it have any clearance issues when using a jack, or is it above the frame rails a little?

Old 05-30-2019, 05:01 AM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 602 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete3323
Captain Itch crotch cooler is a must! He’s a vendor on here...do a search.
As mentioned above we do make a crotch cooler that will help you with the heat and they work very well .. If you have any questions just give us a call . Thank you Itch ..

Old 05-31-2019, 10:25 AM
Cotton1
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gas Smasher
No worries. I really don't have that stuff for sale, just when I run across someone that needs it I offer it. PM me when you are ready. It isn't going anywhere and I'll make you a deal on it. You may want to move on to something more advanced in time, but the FuelPak I have is dead simple and will get you fixed up.
I'm interested, just cant PM yet. I have been looking on Fuel Moto trying to figure out what tuners will actually work with a 01. I like the one with the touch screen I think its PowerVision but dont think it will work with the 01. I went to V&H looking and everything seems to be for the 96in and up. Lots for me to learn.

Old 05-31-2019, 10:31 AM
Cotton1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Captain Itch
As mentioned above we do make a crotch cooler that will help you with the heat and they work very well .. If you have any questions just give us a call . Thank you Itch ..
I checked out your website after the suggestion here-Very cool stuff! I wanted to learn leather working over the winter but that didn't happen(.I wanted to build a King/Queen seat for my 883.) I looked at your site to view the crotch cooler and found multiple things I would like to have in due time, most notably one of those belts. I wear my belts daily, as in I get one and wear it everyday until it is wore out. I have never dropped the cash on a nice one like yours look and the stitching seems to come apart after several years on these $10-$20 belts.I will be in touch when my money is right. At the moment buying scooter parts!

Cotton1

Old 05-31-2019, 10:48 AM
Cotton1
Intermediate

I couldn't get a ride lined up to drop my bike off with the wrench until today, going this afternoon. I put my new handlebars on Wednesday only to find out my brake line was about 2in short. Gotta go out here and swap those back out. I have been contemplating taking the brake line off of one of my other bikes, but then I would have two lines to bleed so I will wait. I was back on my Sporty for my ride to work yesterday, its such a different feel. I took the ad down for it since I need to ride it while the Softail is getting worked on.

Anyways I have new brake rotors and pads on hand, one rim ready but still waiting for my tires and now a brake line to come in. Besides that I have some quick attach docking to put on and I think one of the quick attach back rest I have will work with that. Once I get that sorted I hope to just ride and save up for the oil cooling/tuning mods. After yesterday, I am more convinced that adding volume of oil to the system pays off big time in the heat. I use a oversized oil filter on the Sporty which adds around a quart of oil and it is running cool compared to the Softail. Even it has been staying around 230 on my mid day commute this week with ambient temps around 100 so I may not have a lot to worry about there.

I am thinking a filter relocation will allow me to use a larger oil filter and the added capacity will help. That with a good tune might be all it takes.I'm just not sure that the oil cooler and/or the oil filter relo will work with my crash bar-its the bowtie style.

Cotton1

Old 05-31-2019, 05:25 PM
tommyglide
Tourer
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Moore's Sensible Products make a filter relocation kit second to none. A bigger oil filter will gain you nothing and in your heat Jagg makes a nice cooler that will work with Moore's relocate.
You mentioned a different oil tank, the one you have is perfectly fine.
A TTS Mastertune and a good dyno operator will pay dividends, Power Vision is also popular.
That would get rid of your decel. popping if you have decent pipes.

Old 05-31-2019, 05:51 PM
Gas Smasher
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Cotton1
I'm interested, just cant PM yet. I have been looking on Fuel Moto trying to figure out what tuners will actually work with a 01. I like the one with the touch screen I think its PowerVision but dont think it will work with the 01. I went to V&H looking and everything seems to be for the 96in and up. Lots for me to learn.
Lots of tuners out there that will work on your bike. I went to J&P and did a search for your bike and this is what they carry.

https://www.jpcycles.com/2001-harley...gement-systems

That isn't to say J&P is the best place to buy one, and they do not carry them all. That isn't a slam on J&P, I have bought a lot of stuff from them and have been very happy with them (they screwed up one order a couple of years ago), But I bought both of my tuners from Fuel Moto. It's nice to deal with people who know what they are talking about and it is a first class operation. I bought my last 2 sets of pipes from them too.

Quick Reply: Heritage questions from a newbie