Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heritage questions from a newbie

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2019, 11:27 AM
Cotton1
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tommyglide
Moore's Sensible Products make a filter relocation kit second to none. A bigger oil filter will gain you nothing and in your heat Jagg makes a nice cooler that will work with Moore's relocate.
You mentioned a different oil tank, the one you have is perfectly fine.
A TTS Mastertune and a good dyno operator will pay dividends, Power Vision is also popular.
That would get rid of your decel. popping if you have decent pipes.
As far as I can tell these are stock pipes. I plan to do true duals in the future, but have to do things a little at the time. Everybody seems to really like the Jagg coolers and I think they make a oil filter relocation as well. I will respectfully disagree just a bit about the larger oil filter. Added oil capacity will help with the heat dispersion. I know it doesn't sound like a lot, but an extra quart of oil is a 20% increase in volume at least. It did a lot for my Sporty, but I admit in that case it was a larger capacity gain-that whole system is only 2.8 quarts so you can see what an additional quart means to the capacity. I also had another wrench tell me that the oil pan was not a big deal. Besides correcting the decel popping a good tune should help cool things off a bit right? If that is so, my first money spent might be on the tuner. That would allow me to put the stage 1 intake/breather bolts on too.

One of the reasons I wanted the oil temp gauge was so that I could see what each component that I add does for the temps. One thing at the time will at least yield usefull data that way. Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

Cotton1

Old 06-01-2019, 12:12 PM
Cotton1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Gas Smasher
Lots of tuners out there that will work on your bike. I went to J&P and did a search for your bike and this is what they carry.

https://www.jpcycles.com/2001-harley...gement-systems

That isn't to say J&P is the best place to buy one, and they do not carry them all. That isn't a slam on J&P, I have bought a lot of stuff from them and have been very happy with them (they screwed up one order a couple of years ago), But I bought both of my tuners from Fuel Moto. It's nice to deal with people who know what they are talking about and it is a first class operation. I bought my last 2 sets of pipes from them too.
Like the Jagg coolers, I continue to hear good things about Fuel Moto. I will check out the JP link. When I went to the web sites it seems like everything is for the 96in and newer, I would definitely give them (Fuel Moto) before I bought anything to be sure what I am getting will work.

Old 06-29-2019, 12:43 PM
Cotton1
Intermediate
Default Update

Finally got word on my bike. Bad news and good news. The bad: the wrench had some health issues and was out for a while.. surgery. The good: he is back and working on my bike.

The bad: no oil pressure at idle, 25lbs at 2k rpm. The good: no damage to the jugs and crank is excellent shape also no damage.

The bad: cam bearings bad and ate the cams up. The good: a friend sold me some cams and lifters with 16k on them like new condition for $100.

The bad: can plate cracked. The good: SE kit comes with new plate and will solve the chain tensioner issues.

Should get the bike back next week and have a lot less money in my pocket, but a bike that should be good to go for 60k or more miles.

Cotton1

Old 07-13-2019, 09:39 PM
LDH_On_Board
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Can vouch for the captain itch crotch cooler. Got one on my bike and it is great! Amazing quality and looks good to boot!

Old 07-16-2019, 05:02 AM
Gas Smasher
Road Captain

Received 647 Likes on 278 Posts

Glad you didn't find any serious issues with your engine. Also, be glad you went in there and had it checked out. The inner cam bearings and chain tensioners on the early twin cams are all over the place. As I noted earlier, at 20,000 miles my 2002 had tensioners coming apart already and oil pump and cam plate were already damaged. No bearing failure in mine. At 28,000 yours was in failure and would have been serious trouble soon had you not checked it out. A guy I know in town here had a tick over 70,000 on his 2003 when he traded it in and he said he never had his apart and didn't have any issues with it.

You should be solid now. Put some more miles on it and enjoy.

Old 08-05-2019, 09:23 PM
CVO2015
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Popping you hear is most likely the decompression valve, almost all Harleys do it, its nothing to worry about unless it is really loud then it would be a possible backfire but that will sound like a gun shot. I have a 2015 CVO Deluxe, it does it and so did by 2011 Deluxe. you should only hear it when you hit a certain RPM, of course the louder your pipes the louder the popping.

Old 08-05-2019, 10:20 PM
CVO2015
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Cotton1, once you decide on a tuner, what a lot of people do is record the data on the tuner as the bike is now the do a boat load of research into what all the data means and do very small tweaks, ride and record again see where your numbers are and tweak again you can find what others have done and sometimes find downloadable maps that may get you close to where you want to be. Here is a tuner that works on 2001. I have not used this personally but I hear it has the ability to tune just about anything on the bike but it has a steep learning curve as well. They have been business for a while. http://www.mastertune.net/products_mastertune.html Also on the gear drive from S&S, they make the kits cause that is what the people want. I highly suggest you talk to an S&S rep. I took a personalized tour of their shop (Highly Recommend the Tour, must call for an appointment) and he explained why Harley no longer uses gear drives and why you probably don't want to try and convert a Harley chain to a gear drive. Harley made a gear drive and it was too expensive and took to long to get the machining correct to get the run out to stay true, once they were mass producing bikes the gears had to be switched to chains. The chain is all about cutting time and costs which is understandable for a business of that size. so my advice is don't spend the money for the conversion, just save up for a gear drive S&S Engine which will have more horsepower with almost the same cubic inches. Everyone at S&S has to work every single station on the production floor before they can go into management, every single person knows what they are talking about, just the process for getting the run out right on their own engines took a long time but they like to do it right the first time.