Notices
Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding weight to swingarm

Old 05-28-2019, 08:38 AM
BrianTexas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding weight to swingarm

Good morning! BLUF, does a swingarm bag (single side, on the left only) add significant weight to affect the handling of the bike?

I'm getting back into riding regularly. Had ridden a 1200 Sportster for 20 years, and traded for a 2018 Fat Bob 114 recently. Really enjoy the Fat Bob. It rides great and handles well. I'm considering adding a swingarm bag on the left side to carry some gear I like to have on most rides, patch kit, rain gear, first aid, etc.

I'm refreshing my riding skills, reading and practicing on the bike. And thinking about the geometry of the bike and how it affects handling. The bike is still stock, except for an aftermarket Bassani exhaust.

Swingarm bags seem very popular now. I'm wondering if the additional weight on swingarm - which would be unsprung weight - will adversely affect the handling of the bike. I can't imagine the weight of the bag and gear will be more than five-to-ten lbs.

Has anyone noticed changes in handling when adding a swingarm bag to your bike?

Thanks in advance.

Old 05-28-2019, 11:06 AM
XARAN
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

It wont make any noticeable difference. The swingarm bag is un-sprung weigh

IMO on a 800 lb + motorcycle 10-20 lbs is not noticeable no matter where it is located other than on the forks and then it changes the the way the steering, handlebar weight is especially at low speeds. That is one of the reasons I liked the Road Glide better, the front felt lighter IMO. On my Fatboy the MS Batwing is not much heavier than the full sized windshield so not much difference.

My bike feels the same riding with my saddlebags on or off, I also have a old swing arm bag that i used to use.

Last edited by XARAN; 05-28-2019 at 11:11 AM.
Old 05-28-2019, 11:33 AM
j33ptj
Road Warrior
Received 78 Likes on 65 Posts

I don't really notice any difference whether the bag is m/t or with stuff in it, albeit it is never more than abt a couple of pounds (bottel of water)

RJ

Old 05-28-2019, 12:40 PM
K9F
Road Master
Received 214 Likes on 175 Posts

No difference in handling whatsoever. Mine is quite heavy with tool roll, puncture repair kit, rain gear and a few other minor 'essentials.' Wanted to get mine off the frame and slightly higher after fitting Shotgun Air Ride System so double clipped some stainless pole to the frame to belt the bag to.

Old 05-28-2019, 01:05 PM
SPRINGER
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 1,658 Likes on 1,373 Posts

Nope..

Old 05-28-2019, 01:06 PM
packmen21
One Of The Regulars
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by XARAN View Post
It wont make any noticeable difference. The swingarm bag is un-sprung weigh

IMO on a 800 lb + motorcycle 10-20 lbs is not noticeable no matter where it is located other than on the forks and then it changes the the way the steering, handlebar weight is especially at low speeds. That is one of the reasons I liked the Road Glide better, the front felt lighter IMO. On my Fatboy the MS Batwing is not much heavier than the full sized windshield so not much difference.

My bike feels the same riding with my saddlebags on or off, I also have a old swing arm bag that i used to use.
+1

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: