Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail question

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2019, 12:57 AM
Gela
Novice
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Softail question

Just started riding again after a long time off. Wanted to get a bike with carb so I could work on it. 2004 fxst is what I got and after I got home I noticed when I turn the switch on there was a check engine light?? was not expecting that. Is there a computer on a carbed bike?? or did they just use the same spedo for all 2004 models carb and efi?

Old 07-20-2019, 02:24 AM
1Qcktrufflesnuffler
Road Captain
Received 380 Likes on 195 Posts

Yes, your '04 will have an ECM even though it's carbed. A quick look under your seat should reveal a data link connector.
The check engine light illuminates when the ignition is on and should go off once you start it, unless it has a code stored.

The following users liked this post:
Gela (07-21-2019)
Old 07-20-2019, 02:52 AM
Gela
Novice

Well I guess as much as I didnt want to learn that computer stuff now I got to do what I got to do.
What are the "different sensors / things the computer does" that would be on this bike?
I saw that under the seat. for reading codes would it use the same OBD2 reader as a car?
Just got the bike. Have put a little over 300 miles on it and it runs good except for being real cold natured.
I do need to rejet the carb I think . I am thinking the breather they put on it is letting more air in and the pipes are letting more out and I bet the carb is stock.

Old 07-20-2019, 02:58 AM
MoneyFor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 955 Likes on 657 Posts

It will have a 4 pin connector, the cars obd reader will not work but al codes could be reset manually.
Check YT, there are plenty of movies how to do this.

Gela (07-21-2019)
Old 07-20-2019, 06:13 AM
mskirwin
Club Member
Received 1,449 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Welcome to the forums and good luck with the new ride.

The following 2 users liked this post by mskirwin:
Gela (07-21-2019), Will Belden (07-20-2019)
Old 07-20-2019, 09:24 AM
ChopperBill
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,972 Likes on 1,205 Posts

My truck had the “check brakes” light come on. Nothing wrong light wouldn’t go off. Disconnected the battery terminals for 30 seconds. Light went off, never returned. That was 2 years ago.

Old 07-20-2019, 12:55 PM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,030 Likes on 651 Posts

Does the light stay on all the time or just when you turn the ignition switch on and then start it, and it goes away.

If it goes away then that's normal. If it stays on when the bike is running then you need to figure out the trouble code associated with it

Old 07-20-2019, 04:06 PM
Gela
Novice

there are no problems at the moment I was just surprised to see a check engine light when I turned the switch on, I have never seen a computer on a carbed engine before, it does go out after its cranked. All my harley experience was shovelheads and figured as long as the bike I bought had a carb on it I could fix whatever.
I looked and I dont see any sensor in the exhaust pipes ? What things does this computer control? Is there a camshaft sensor or??

Old 07-20-2019, 07:11 PM
iHodor
Road Warrior
Received 440 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by Gela
Well I guess as much as I didnt want to learn that computer stuff now I got to do what I got to do.
What are the "different sensors / things the computer does" that would be on this bike?
I saw that under the seat. for reading codes would it use the same OBD2 reader as a car?
Just got the bike. Have put a little over 300 miles on it and it runs good except for being real cold natured.
I do need to rejet the carb I think . I am thinking the breather they put on it is letting more air in and the pipes are letting more out and I bet the carb is stock.
I have a set of manuals for '04 Softails, shop manual and electrical diag manual, both in very good shape. If you're interested make me an offer.

Old 07-20-2019, 08:42 PM
1Qcktrufflesnuffler
Road Captain
Received 380 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by Gela
there are no problems at the moment I was just surprised to see a check engine light when I turned the switch on, I have never seen a computer on a carbed engine before, it does go out after its cranked. All my harley experience was shovelheads and figured as long as the bike I bought had a carb on it I could fix whatever.
I looked and I dont see any sensor in the exhaust pipes ? What things does this computer control? Is there a camshaft sensor or??
If you have experience with shovels you should be fine with your '04.
The computer controls the ignition and timing.
Most likely there's a sensor for cylinder temp, one for manifold pressure, possibly an o2 sensor.
Not sure about a cam sensor.
You can look down by the oil filter, right where you'd put a wrench on the filter to see if it has a crank position sensor, not sure if carbed bikes have that.
You still can control idle speed and how rich or lean it runs by adjusting the carb or changing jet sizes.
Post up a pic of it.

Gela (07-21-2019)

Quick Reply: Softail question