Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

shock jam nut

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 01:47 PM
nwlang
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shock jam nut

When I was removing my jam nut from my shock to install a lowering kit I flattened the threads on the nut (I guess buy removing from the wrong side) any one know wheere I can get a new nut or ant one have some used shocks to sell me (at a decient price) I checked with my dealer and he could not get a nut for me, and they are special thread. Any help would be great! Thanks

Old 07-15-2007, 04:38 PM
darkside
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: shock jam nut

Against my better judgement I,ll admit something that I swore I would never repeat.[:-]I did the exact same thing myself when I did mine.[:@]I was able to use the old stud from the shocks as a tap if you will to chase the threads on the damaged nut.Be very careful starting the threads to make sure they are straight and use lots of oil to lubricate things.Do a couple of threads and back it out and repeat over and over and over.Took about an hour to get the threads cleaned up.Those nuts are really soft material and if your careful you can salvage them.As you probably know by now all that nut does is help keep that stud from rotating on the retaining ring so your not hurting the structural integrity of anything if that nut isn't 100% perfect.If you can't save it try and independent shop or dumpster dive at the local dealership.It pissed me off as well because the guy at the dealership said they throw them out all the time but he wouldn't give me an old shock to disassemble.He wanted to sell me a whole new set.[:@](baztards)