Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cruise control on Fatboy

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 03:00 AM
tunaman
Road Warrior
Received 308 Likes on 203 Posts
Default RE: Cruise control on Fatboy

ORIGINAL: Citoriplus

Try to contact them BEFORE you send money or anything else, and let me know how you make out.
I tried to contact them some time ago about getting one, but I never heard back from them.
I don't know if its because they missed the message or I did, my computer died about that time and it may just have slipped by me. And to be honest I just plain forgot about it till I saw this posting.
Just got an email back from them, and sent you a PM. I did receive a reply, and may just decide to get one of these... the Throttle Mate works fine, but these look much better andare engineered better, not to mention they're made of stainless or billet.

Roger

Old 09-01-2007, 01:09 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

ORIGINAL: tunaman

Just got an email back from them, and sent you a PM. I did receive a reply, and may just decide to get one of these... the Throttle Mate works fine, but these look much better andare engineered better, not to mention they're made of stainless or billet.

Roger
Roger,
Got your PM and already answered it. Thanks for the update.
I really want one of the SS versions. SS is SO much easier to keep shiney.

Frank

Old 09-01-2007, 01:23 PM
tunaman
Road Warrior

Roger,
Got your PM and already answered it. Thanks for the update.
I really want one of the SS versions. SS is SO much easier to keep shiney.

Frank
Got that Frank, and replied. I agree about the SS, so I'm on ahunt as well. We'll compare notes.

ORIGINAL: Texas Fat Boy

[sm=imsorry.gif]The guy asked for a "cruise control" not a "throttle lock".
He asked, so I delivered. I'm just the messenger, [sm=smiley18.gif]don't beat me up about it.
Les, of course you're right. Really nice solutions you posted, and I may one day try to convince the wife I really need a real cruise control!
Until that time I'll make do with my Throttle Mate, and the Throttle Locker when I find the right deal.

Roger

Old 09-01-2007, 02:50 PM
dmac1968
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The mob I buy everything off (Ronnie Lewis Custom Cycles in Kentucky) recommended the same thing (at a lower price... sorry bit of an ad for Ronnie). Now that you have rec'd it I might get one off him.

Now for the questions... should it fit with the hd flamed grips? Was it easy to install?

As for being expensive.... if it goes ona Harley, I expect nothing less

DeanO

PS: If you ever going to buy anything shoot Ronnie off an email mailto:ebay@lewiscustomcycles.com and get a price from him first. Best parts seller I have ever dealt with and genuinely good bloke.

ORIGINAL: PoorBoy

I couldn't get use to the thumb wheel and on my previous ride I got use to a mechanical product called Brake-Away. Here's their website:
http://www.brakeawayproducts.com/index.html

I have this now on my FB and enjoy having a one-click ability to hold throttle position. I have lots of long boring streaches that get "clicked" so I can move my hand and flex my fingers. Very easy install and the website have a little video that shows you how it works.

I spent $219 and got free shipping from realhog.com. A little expensive, but excellent quality and reversable install.

Old 09-01-2007, 02:54 PM
dmac1968
Road Warrior

Didn't know about the "thumb wheel"... thought that was a move you could put on women I will sus that out!

How long you had Harley's for Steve? You seem to know more about them than most full time bike mechanics I have spoken to...a LOT more actually. Have you thought about opening www.asksteve.com site?

DeanO

ORIGINAL: vertigo14

use the little thumb wheel under the throttle, or replace it with one of them lever things(easier and shinyer)

cruise control.. that's funny chit there dmac........

Old 09-01-2007, 02:58 PM
dmac1968
Road Warrior

Geez.... ANOTHER option decisions, decisions... but for $12.95 I must admit that is CHEAP AS!! So you get the throttle to where you want it, push the wheel thing and then when you wanna slow down do you just flick the lever back? What if you need to stop accelerating real quick, will it just turn back to idle pos using throttle?

DeanO

ORIGINAL: tunaman

I got one of these:

It works well, was cost-effective, and is unobtrusive.

Web site is here: http://www.throttlemate.com/

Roger

Old 09-01-2007, 03:09 PM
dmac1968
Road Warrior

TFB is right but that was my mistake... a throttle lock would probably suffice... it is just that my hand cramps a bit in traffic and I need constant throttle while I shake some blood back into it. I will start off with the $12.95 lever thing and if that ain't good enough I will work my way up Thank you to all who contributed to this post!!

DeanO

ORIGINAL: Texas Fat Boy

Damn Texas, and here I though the 50's Boy and Brake-Away versions were expensive. The ones you posted are$600 to $1000. True they really are real "Cruise Controls", but damn that is an awful lot of money to lay out. I can get a nice pairof chromed dice for my tire valve stems with that kind of money.
[sm=imsorry.gif]The guy asked for a "cruise control" not a "throttle lock".
He asked, so I delivered. I'm just the messenger, [sm=smiley18.gif]don't beat me up about it.

Old 09-01-2007, 03:25 PM
vertigo14
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

There a lot of peeps on this website that know a hell of a lot more than me about Harleys... or bikes in general. I just know what I have done a lot of trail and error..and listening to people who seem to know what they are talking about. And of course lots of peeps that dont know squat and act like they do.....

One good thing about a internet website is you share ideas at a very quick pace.....

As for the thumb wheel move on chicks..... lol

ORIGINAL: dmac1968

Didn't know about the "thumb wheel"... thought that was a move you could put on women I will sus that out!

How long you had Harley's for Steve? You seem to know more about them than most full time bike mechanics I have spoken to...a LOT more actually. Have you thought about opening www.asksteve.com site?

DeanO

ORIGINAL: vertigo14

use the little thumb wheel under the throttle, or replace it with one of them lever things(easier and shinyer)

cruise control.. that's funny chit there dmac........

Old 09-01-2007, 03:31 PM
tunaman
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: dmac1968

Geez.... ANOTHER option decisions, decisions... but for $12.95 I must admit that is CHEAP AS!! So you get the throttle to where you want it, push the wheel thing and then when you wanna slow down do you just flick the lever back? What if you need to stop accelerating real quick, will it just turn back to idle pos using throttle?

DeanO
Yeah, it works well for the cost.You slide the lever forward to lock the throttle, and slide it back to release it. Yes, if you have it adjusted right you can still adjust your throttle, both for little incremental speedadjustments as well asquick full zero throttle.

I'm going to get the ThrottleLocker to replace it, though, as I like the shape of it better and it looks to be a bit better-engineered. The Throttle Mate is aluminum, uses a real small screw to lock it in place (on the existing plastic wheel), and is just a bit in the way when you're not using it... not so much as to be bad, but just a minor annoyance occassionally. It's worth the $12.95...

Roger

Old 04-15-2008, 07:23 AM
harleyryder
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The ONLY actual cruise control (maintain speed, not throttle position) that uses the genuine Harley davidson cruise control is from www.cruisemount.com. It is real cruise control, not a throttle lock. Nothing worse that running down the interstate with some jerk pushing you uphill cause your throttle lock won't automatically increase the throttle to maintain speed. REAL cruise control is more safe that a throttle lock. Yea, cruise control is pricey, but the best, most useable accessory I ever added to my Softail. Thank you www.cruisemount.com.

Quick Reply: Cruise control on Fatboy