Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Voltage Regulator Problem? Headlight Gets Brighter !!

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 08:28 PM
dan789
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Voltage Regulator Problem? Headlight Gets Brighter !!

I have an 02 Herritage Softail Classic with fuel injection.

Occasionally, the headlight gets brighter, and the spedometer goes to "0", and the odometer goes blank (last for a second or two). I'm thinking that the headlight gets brighter because the voltage goes up due to malfunction of the regulator. Then maybe the computer disconnects other electronics due to overvoltage.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks,
Dan

Old 11-28-2005, 10:46 PM
MegaHDman
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Voltage Regulator Problem? Headlight Gets Brighter !!

ORIGINAL: dan789

I have an 02 Herritage Softail Classic with fuel injection.

Occasionally, the headlight gets brighter, and the spedometer goes to "0", and the odometer goes blank (last for a second or two). I'm thinking that the headlight gets brighter because the voltage goes up due to malfunction of the regulator. Then maybe the computer disconnects other electronics due to overvoltage.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks,
Dan
Before blaming the voltage regulator, make sure all your ground points are solid and tight with NO corrosion! Bad connections = odd things happening. I make a point of dissasembling,cleaning,smearing electrical contact grease, then remounting all ground lines during the winter, even the contact points themselves should be cleaned to make sure you have a good metal to metal contact. Its good idea to go through all your electrical connections make sure everything is connected properly with no loose or damaged wires to help isolate a problem. Take an hour of your time to go through your bike carefully, then see how the bike runs.