Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recent Springer Theft

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 06:25 AM
shovel52
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Recent Springer Theft

My buddy was at a local watering hole when a pickup truck pulled up to the windows blocking the view of the bikes in the parking lot. Some dude got out and was talking on a cell phone while another went over to my friend's Springer and got it running. Someone inside the pub yelled out and four or five guys ran out to the bike. The thief dropped the bike and jumped in the pickup and shot out of the area. No one had time to get the license number. The HD was dented and scratched, but at least was still there. Three days later while my bud was at work, someone kicked in his garage door and got the dented Springer.
&nbsp\\;
A couple of things come to mind. #1. Lock your bike..... #2 If someone goes after your bike, they probably want it for a reason. They will probably continue to try until they get it.
&nbsp\\;
I didn't really know that theft was still a problem. I know that bikes get stolen every day in a big city, but it sure makes me uncomfortable. I am not so worried about my Deuce, but I have a couple of old shovelheads that can be hotwired in a Texas second. I just posted this to make us all a little more careful. Set your alarms and lock your forks and all the good stuff.
&nbsp\\;
I hate a thief.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; Ken

Old 06-29-2008, 06:55 AM
FXSTI Guy
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Recent Springer Theft

...sounds like someone he knew or that knew him...or a repo agent

Old 06-29-2008, 06:58 AM
shovel52
Cruiser

We know it isn't a repo. His bike never had a payment. As far as someone he knew, probably. Or someone that knew him. The scary thing is everyone of us on this forum know lots of people. I guess some of them are unscrupled scumbags.&nbsp\\; LOL.

Old 06-29-2008, 08:26 AM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My dealer has offered the new lo-jack that has a key fob that arms it when you leave it and if it gets moved lo-jack calls you on a cell and home phone and ask you if it is ok it is moving. if not they start tracking and call the police. I think it was about 850 but only a 1 time charge. They say professionals dont start it the just use a van and 2x4 and a couple big guys and pick it up and then work on it later.

Old 06-29-2008, 08:38 AM
PoorBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

During the big bike events down here in the Daytona Florida area, the cops use "bait-bikes" and "bait trailers" that are wired with Lo-Jack.&nbsp\\; Some bikes are set-up with video surveillance.&nbsp\\; It is amazing how fast a bike can go away, regardless of locks or alarms.
&nbsp\\;
A small cheap lift, a big heavy horse blanket (to muffle sound) and about eleven seconds is all that's needed to drive away in a panel van.&nbsp\\; If they want it, it is gone.&nbsp\\; Lo-jack is a big help, but probably not fool-proof.
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

Old 06-29-2008, 09:03 AM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

READ THIS ONE
Sad but true[]

Old 06-29-2008, 09:30 AM
breaknbad
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I cant count how many times i go somewhere and just turn bike off and leave it.
I paid for security system and rarely use it. I do think about bike getting stolen sometimes but i guess I'm just too trusting.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
I need to open my eyes. Theres alot of a-holes out there that don't want to work for something. Rather just steal.
&nbsp\\;
Have your buddy check e-bay alot for the parts. Also go to alot of bike events in a few weeks. Thieves are stupid. They will sell asap or put parts on there bikes immediately
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
David

Old 06-29-2008, 10:39 AM
shovel52
Cruiser

My buddy's bike had the 105 kit and a chrome springer front end. It wasn't highly customized, but had about every piece of Harley chrome you could put on it. I imagine they were after the&nbsp\\;front end. It kind of makes me wonder a little. A new shop opened up about two miles from this area that specializes in selling wrecked bikes. I am going to run up there tomorrow and look around at some of the parts. It is probably a waste of time, but I would notice certain things. I am going to drive my company car up there in case they are videoing license plates to find addresses of those of us with bikes. I love electronics, but the thieves can work the same stuff against those of us who actually earn honest livings.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;

Old 06-29-2008, 11:15 AM
Vikingnomad
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It really sounds like these scumbags were casing that bike and were determined to get it...hell I lock the neck and put a grenade disk brake lock on my bike in my own garage.
Love my bike and it would cut my heart out to see it stolen.
Bone