Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sundowner seat worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 10:10 AM
HarleyGirl69
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the sundowner seat and a C&C seat. The sundower is very, very comfy. I'm not crazy about the looks of it (mainly the passenger pillon) but on a trip over 150 miles my azz thanks the sundowner. The C&C seat is very comfy too but after about 100 miles my butt hurts!

Old 11-05-2008, 10:52 AM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Anyone have any complaints about the Sundowner rubbing against the paint?
I haven't had a problem yet, but I don't use it much. The protective plastic on my fender, isn't wide enough to protect against the wide passenger pillion part of the Sundowner, mostly because, on my bike, the SE pass. pillion is so narrow. Probably wouldn't be a problem switching back and forth from a regular stock seat.
I bought some cling film that is suppose to be used on the top inside of a car windshield, for sun blockage. Thought I would cut it to fit on my rear fender where there isn't any film to protect the paint, from the much wider Sundowner seat.
I wanted something that would easily lift off when I switch back to my stock seat.
Tom

Old 11-05-2008, 11:02 AM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I got rid of the plastic protector

Old 11-05-2008, 11:32 AM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tk353
I got rid of the plastic protector
Do you ride 2 up? If you do, ride 2 up, how many miles have you put on with a passenger, without the protective film? Have you had any problems with the pass. pillion damaging your paint or haven't you looked under the seat?
The reason I am concerned is that I switch seats and it would be real obvious, if the paint was damaged on either side of my narrow SE pillion.
It wouldn't be a big deal if I was planning on leaving the Sundowner on full time.
Thanks,
Tom

Old 11-06-2008, 01:27 AM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the mustang i have has rubber feet so the paint is fine. The underside does not touch the fender other than there. I ride solo most of the time unless it is a overnight or week trip. I have 28000 on my 07 and it looks fine

Old 01-02-2014, 11:42 AM
buzoyster
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently bought a 2000 FXDX that came with the stock seat. I found this seat to be very uncomfortable. I used to own 1200 Custom that came with the Sundowner solo seat. I liked this seat a lot. I read on this forum site that the Mustang Vintage Solo is better liked than the Sundowner solo. I plan on buying a Mustang Solo. Meanwhile, I looked on Ebay and found a brand new Sundowner seat for $99. It fit my bike and is very comfortable. It raised me up and moved me back a small amount which made the knee/ ankle angle a lot more comfortable. I am 5'10" and was surprised at how cramped I was on this bike with the stock seat. The Sundowner solved my problem. It doesn't look as cool as the stock seat, but, I didn't buy the bike to look cool. Maybe the Mustang Solo will bring some of the cool back.

Old 01-02-2014, 01:07 PM
hdgzr
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,869 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by tmitchellof PG
Do you ride 2 up? If you do, ride 2 up, how many miles have you put on with a passenger, without the protective film? Have you had any problems with the pass. pillion damaging your paint or haven't you looked under the seat?
The reason I am concerned is that I switch seats and it would be real obvious, if the paint was damaged on either side of my narrow SE pillion.
It wouldn't be a big deal if I was planning on leaving the Sundowner on full time.
Thanks,
Tom
The rear fender on my Heritage was damaged by the passenger pillion while I had the factory protective film on. The dealership's explanation was that the Heritage is designed to carry two people. Without the passenger to hold the seat down, it will vibrate and most likely damage the surface of the paint.
I just removed the film, since I run solo most of the time. When I have to run with the passenger seat, I slap a fender bib or a piece of chamois under it.

Old 01-02-2014, 01:09 PM
cromagnon
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by 07fat_boy
I was at the dealership earlier today looking at seats for my '07 Fat Boy, and I'm really liking the Sundowner...especially since it looks just like the stocker from the side and will match the sissy bar pad I just bought. So, from those of you that have one, is it worth the money?
Yes ... I've gone 800 in one day and felt great.

Old 01-02-2014, 03:05 PM
Carolina Joe
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 2013 Slim I bought several months back included a Sundowner for 2 up riding. I like the solo look much better on the Slim but when riding 2 up the bike is more comfortable, even for me. I wish I had a solo seat that was as comfortable as the Sundowner.

Old 12-19-2017, 06:20 AM
sportglide
Cruiser
Received 80 Likes on 45 Posts

I'm reviving an old thread - I bought a 2018 HD Sport Glide and while the stock seat was ok - it was just ok for 50 miles.
I bought an HD Sundowner - I'm short 5'7" with 27.5 inseam and the Sundowner put me more in the pocket and is much more comfortable. I have NOT taken it for a PLUS 100 miler yet. Will update when I do. I never ride two up - but - the passenger pillion is noticeably higher = I hit it with my leg when I swing a leg over the bike = the stock seat I did not touch when mounting the same way.

Quick Reply: Sundowner seat worth it?