Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Detachables on a FLSTC ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 11:09 PM
fatheadonsoftail
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Detachables on a FLSTC ?

I want to put a Luggage rack on my 2002 FLSTC. After reading some post here seems like detachable would be the way to go. But I am unfamiliar with the way those work and trying to figure out what I need in the catalog is a night mare.

Wonder if anybody has done this on a FLSTC?

Do I just need the detachable Sideplate for the rack(53815-00) and then something differant for the bags?

Or will this sideplate and docking kit be all I need for the rack and bags. I would be using my stock bags.

Also does the stock sissy bar fit in this side plate?

Thanks,

Old 04-06-2006, 11:37 PM
Coaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: Detachables on a FLSTC ?

I have a detachable luggage rack on my '05 Springer Classic. In addition to the datachable accessories you will need the docking hardware for your bike. This mounts to the fender rails and your detachables will snap onto them. You should be able to use your sissy bar upright but would need detachable sideplates to mount it on. I am not familiar with how the sadllebags work. I did just order a sissy bar for my bike and decided to leave it on permanently. The rigid mount sideplates will create a smaller gap between my fender rail and saddlebags. The docking hardware will widen this gap by maybe a 1/2 of inch. I'm not sure how and where your rear turn signals are mounted but use of the detachable sissybar may require you to relocate them. Hope this helps.

Old 04-07-2006, 12:20 AM
Mike05
Tourer

I have an 05 FLSTCI. I just added the 2 Up Sport Luggage rack to my bike. It is not detachable. I really didn't need a detachable. Anything I carry on the rack will go inside with me at the end of the day. I need the cargo space so I just leave my bags on. I ordered my rack (H-D #53713-96, list $145.95) from Zanotti H-D in PA. It cost me $130.67 including freight. It bolted right up to the sideplates and stock sissybar. Detachabels are nice at cleaning time, though. There are aftermarket side plates that convert fixed bags to detachables. Check http://www.eagleleatherworks.com/bracket.html

Old 04-07-2006, 10:26 AM
Geoseismic
Road Captain

I installed the detachable hardware kit and side plates last night. I bought the tour pack, but wanted the ability to revert from backrest to tour pack and back. The kit spaces the saddle bags out about 1/2 inch from their original location. Installation was rather easy. It took me approx. 1 hour, but I could have finished sooner. Once I got everthing off, I cleaned the bike up before reassemby.
The instructions for this kit suck! I basically determined what was going to have to mount where, fit it loosely, then tried the rack and the backrest to make sure it worked, then I torqued everything down.

Old 04-07-2006, 03:52 PM
AK_Hog_Herder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: fatheadonsoftail

I want to put a Luggage rack on my 2002 FLSTC. After reading some post here seems like detachable would be the way to go. But I am unfamiliar with the way those work and trying to figure out what I need in the catalog is a night mare.

Wonder if anybody has done this on a FLSTC?

Do I just need the detachable Sideplate for the rack(53815-00) and then something differant for the bags?

Or will this sideplate and docking kit be all I need for the rack and bags. I would be using my stock bags.

Also does the stock sissy bar fit in this side plate?

Thanks,
You need the detachable sideplates and docking hardware for your bike.

You reuse the stock bags and the sissy bar / back rest.

I also have the tourpak and docking kit for the tourpak. I also aded the detachable lock set to slow down anyone wanting to run off with my $700 tourpak.

Old 04-08-2006, 11:21 AM
fatheadonsoftail
Cruiser

Ok So to get a Detachable Luggage rack all I need is the Detachable side plate and docking kit, and then the luggae rack. That seems simple enough. Thanks guys.

The thing for the detachable bags looks good to and I may get that eventually.

This clears it up pretty much

Thanks again

Old 04-08-2006, 09:43 PM
RockyTopRider
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I also added the locking mechanism [sm=lockeddance.gif] for the detachable side plates. If you are as paranoid as I am it was money well spent.