Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Detachable windshield install difficulty

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 12:06 PM
chordstrummer
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Detachable windshield install difficulty

This is for anyone who might have difficulty with the Nostalgic quick detachable windshield. Installed on an '09 Deluxe, btw.

I actually got it installed fine, following the provided instructions. Took her out for a test run that night -- all's well (except I need to cut it down considerably). Got home, and wow! It came off, but I had to tug and wrestle with it a lot.

Next day, I went to put it back on it, and it wouldn't go. Had to loosen the upper mushroom bolts to make it fit. Knew this wasn't right. went about loosening, re-aligning, and re-torquing. Even went so far as to loosen the hardware on the shield itself to see if I could get everything to take a new set -- no dice.

Finally, took a closer look at the mounting hardware, and thought, Why not? Removed the upper mushroom bolt from one side and reversed the order of the washers (thick one on the outside, thin one in) and lo and behold, the thing slides on and off as it should.

I think the hardware for my WS is just a little off, just enough to mess with the intended alignment.