Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jockey shift

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 07:26 PM
66cruiser
Road Warrior

Received 127 Likes on 86 Posts

I would like to add that there does seem to be some confusion as to what a jockey shifter and suicide clutch are. The jockey shift is a shifter that is connected directly to the transmission with no linkage. You had to reach under your butt to shift. The suicide clutch was a converted foot clutch where the foot pedal & over-center spring was removed with only a peg to shift with. The original foot clutch was NOT called a suicide as you could press down on the heel (I think) and the clutch would remain disengaged allowing you to put down both feet. To engage the clutch, you'd press slowly down with sole & off you'd go. One nasty feature of the converted (suicide) clutch & where it got it's name was that if you pushed the peg a bit too far, it would suddenly engage the clutch & you'd find yourself in the middle of the intersection. Stalling then trying to start on a hill was also an adventure... one of many. But I have to say that my '38 Knuckle stroker with jockey/suicide was my favorite harley.. Maybe until this one.

Old 02-12-2009, 08:28 PM
Lundee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I've gone to the jockey shift,foot clutch set up and I'll never go back. Makes riding more fun. That clutch on the shifter is lame IMHO. As stated just put it in neutral before ya stop no problems.

Attached Thumbnails Jockey shift-harley-068.jpg  
Old 02-12-2009, 08:41 PM
spooner
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

One of the advantages of having the clutch on the foot and not the shift handle is that when you take off, both hands are can be on the handle bars. If you mount the clutch on the shift handle, you will always have to start off using just one hand on the bars.
I was too cheap to buy my set up, so I ended up making it. It's a total blast to ride! Stop and go traffic like at some of the larger rallys can get a little rough, but most of the time it's b*tchin'.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:55 PM
HaloFan
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spooner,
You got any more pics of your bike. Would like to see all the mods. Looks cool from what I can see.

Old 02-13-2009, 11:37 AM
Ole Coyote
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for all the input guys. I guess I'm going to have to do a little more reading up on Jockey Shifters.

Old 02-13-2009, 08:57 PM
bmr
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

spooner,
I love your set up. Every time time I see it makes me want to put a foot clutch on my bones.

Ole Coyote keep us informed on what you decided to do with your bike. Would love to see a detailed install.

Old 02-13-2009, 11:38 PM
MidwestRider
Road Master

Originally Posted by crazybastid83
I run a suicide clutch with a tank shifter on my 06 springer. If you buy any set up, get one from Labriola Machine. Their bracketry is thick, it looks OEM. Their set up has a clutch cable that will not hit your tire or fender. You get what you pay for.

If you go jockey shift, go all the way. Getting a clutch on the shifter is faking it. It is just a decoration. If you are not going to walk the walk, don't do it.

These new bikes are easy to find nuetral, so it won't be a problem at a light. You just pop it into nuetral when coming to a light. I ride to work daily (except Jan/Feb usually) in NJ. I often ride into NYC with it. Give a real suicide clutch a try, you will enjoy it. I ride so many miles that riding was getting boring, the suicide clutch adds some fun to the ride.

My wife rides a street glide. She was hit by a car a few years ago and had 4 surgeries on her ankle. A few months ago, I bought a Crossbones. I thought she might like to ride that around town and the SG on long trips, due to her ankle. If she does not like riding the Crossbones, I am going suicide clutch and jockey shift.

Back in the day, most guys were running their bike without a front brake, which really made it a suicide clutch.
That's a sick setup! Looks nice.

Old 02-20-2014, 02:50 PM
sixty7flh
Cruiser
Default been wantin' this

glad I saw your posts. It talked me outa the only one I saw: The one with the clutch on the shifter. Now I need to dig deeper and understand how the foot clutch works. Which "foot" operates it?

Old 02-20-2014, 04:24 PM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,221 Likes on 545 Posts

The left foot operates the clutch.

Basically, the kit you want to look for is the one offered by La Briola, out of Denver.

www.lajockeyshifter.com

The clutch cable is removed from the left handlebar to the left footpeg/footboard.

The shift linkage is removed and a lever is installed.

Press the clutch pedal down, and shift as needed. Shifting forward is downshifting, shifting backward is upshifting.

If you choose a tank shift, it's reversed.

There is a thread with hundreds of replies that has more information.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...ts-see-em.html

Old 02-20-2014, 04:31 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

I ran this kit on my softail for many years, until I sold the bike. You get used to it pretty quick. I rode everywhere with this setup never ahd an issue as a result. That being said the next 3 bikes I have bought still avhe the hand clutch and foot shifter.

It was fun learning how to ride the bike in the busy city traffic where I live.

Quick Reply: Jockey shift