Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cross Bones solo seat. Comfortable or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 05:07 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,220 Likes on 4,770 Posts

Put one on my Springer Classic. Put my *** to sleep after about the first 50 miles or so when it was new but seems to be getting better as it wears in. Can go about 100 miles now before I start getting numb. Otherwise I really like it. I'm gonna try one of the -25 part # seats (early style) and see how that one is for longer rides.

Old 03-18-2009, 05:26 PM
Slowpoke84
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great! I'd love to do the same thing to my Heritage to give it that 'old school' look.

Old 03-18-2009, 05:37 PM
gaffster01
Advanced

That seat looks great on your bike!!! As far as comfort I have never had a problem with my Bones stock seat. For a stock seat it is as comfortable as I have sat on.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:08 PM
lovemydeluxe
Advanced

thanks for the input guys, ill definitely consider painting the plastic under the seat red. funny how in pictures it looks orange. its radical paint set number 54/200. i also have chrome mid-frame covers for under the plastic. just waiting for a warm day to put them on.

Old 06-28-2012, 02:40 PM
WellsFargo
Intermediate
Default What is needed to do this?

Originally Posted by lovemydeluxe
thanks. the guys down at my local HD service department did a hell of a job matching the seat hardware to the narrower deluxe rear fender. i havent stopped smiling since...
I know this is an old thread, but this is a modification I have wanted for my 2005 Deluxe since the crossbones came out. When you say they "matched" the seat hardware to your fender, what exactly do you mean?

What are all the parts you had to buy to attach the seat to your bike? The seat and what else?

Thank you so much for putting the photos up....I had asked a guy in service if I could do that and he said anything is possible but it's probably very difficult and expensive...so that turned me off to the idea..until now.

Old 06-28-2012, 03:09 PM
NoRegerts
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,879 Likes on 4,670 Posts

Solo seat bracket/spring kit $229

P/N# 51902-09

That all you need. The kit will have instructions and it is all just bolt on. The seat is sold seperatley.

Old 06-28-2012, 03:29 PM
HDUK
Tourer

I loved my seat on my bones and yes it is very comfortable my only moan is that I have bounced off the back a couple of times not completely off but enough to have to pull myself back on theres no back support to stop you sliding backwards but if your on a long haul and have a bag strapped behind you then its fine hope this helps

Old 06-29-2012, 05:23 AM
Jaburg1
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have this one on for looks and for shorter rides, although it is surprisingly comfortable, especially as a sprung seat. I also have the stock Crossbones seat with mounting hardware and springs still attached so I can swap out in minutes. The stock Crossbones seat is the most comfortable I've sat on. You can sit down inside of the "bucket", or sit back farther on the back rim and it's comfortable either way. I'm keeping mine.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:42 AM
WellsFargo
Intermediate
Default Softail Deluxe to Crossbones Seat

For what it's worth, I discovered that it was not a direct bolt on after all.

The black cover that goes under the seat, covering the battery and electronics that comes with the Crossbones did not fit properly without being cut/trimmed to fit.

Holes needed to be drilled onto the cover for it to attach to the fender bolts on my deluxe.

Probably the biggest modification needed is that the seat swivel on the Crossbones seat (at the front/neck of the seat) has a bracket with two holes. Those two holes were missing on my Deluxe frame. My Deluxe frame had two holes about an inch and a half lower, where a few ground wires were connected. I went to the dealership and they pulled the seat off a Crossbones for me to look at. The swivel bracket on the crossbones was bolted to two different holes drilled about 1 1/2 inches higher up on the frame, which are not present on my Deluxe. I saw where they were, and I purchased the two bolts used to attach it.

I used a drill and drilled the two holes undersized, using the bracket as a guide pressed against the frame. Then I used a simple tap to cut threads in the holes, used some WD40 to lube it as I twisted the tap. Took me about 20 seconds to thread each of the two holes. Swivel bracket then fit perfectly, bolts screwed in with ease.

Seat is now mounted properly cover sit fine and looks like it belongs there.

Since doing the seat swap, I consistently get people waving me down at stoplight complimenting me on the bike, and no doubt the seat is a huge factor. the bike just looks totally different with that seat, with those springs.

I did find that I sat alot higher now on this seat than on the factory seat..something I DONT like...but I accept it because it looks so much nicer. I replaced the 3 inch springs on the seat with 2 inch springs from JP and that has brought it down to a more comfortable level.

Last edited by WellsFargo; 08-10-2012 at 11:46 AM.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:42 PM
Hokie_HD
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Seat

I don't have any issues with the stock seat. I've been on a few long rides and it's been great.

Quick Reply: Cross Bones solo seat. Comfortable or Not?