Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SQUEAKY REAR SUSPENSION

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 06:26 PM
heavypic
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default SQUEAKY REAR SUSPENSION

Soft-tail Riders

I have a 04 Fat Boy with about 10K miles. I bought my FB new. Within a few months of purchasing the bike I noticed a squeaky noise coming from what appears to be the working of the rear suspension. I can hear it when I sit on the seat with the engine off and bounce up and down to work the rear suspension. The squeak occurs in both the downward and upward action of the rear supension. The problem/noise has worsened with time. I am concerned about a metal-metal wearing and causing damage to the rear pivot points or other. I am 2 years into a 4-year extended warranty and want the problem fixed before the warranty is done.

One friend told me the problem was the shocks and to squirt some WD/lubricant into the small holes in the back of the shock body/cylinders. That didn't help. Afterwards, I had the bike in for service at about 7K miles. The dealer said they lubed the connections between the shocks and frame and shocks and swing arm. They may also have lubed the inside of the shock body. After this service the squeak seemed to diminish some for a few weeks and then returned. The noise is getting progressively worse. I called the dealer service today and was told many softails do this, and it is probably the shock springs rubbing against the inside of the shock body.

Some friends with softtails also have a little noise when working the rear suspension, but not nearly as bad as mine.

Is this typical of some softails? Anyone have this problem or a solution? Is it something to worry about (shock or rear failure). Much appreciated....

Al

Old 05-10-2006, 06:31 PM
Rott3n
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SQUEAKY REAR SUSPENSION

If it makes you feel any better I have the same noise on my fatboy since it was brand new and my friends does the same .

Old 05-10-2006, 06:50 PM
FXST
Cruiser

Mine's the same. I use silicon spray, it seems to last longer then possum p1ss.

Old 05-10-2006, 07:00 PM
2005FATBOY
Cruiser

sorry to be different but my 2005 fatboy does not make this noise it will most likely start next week

Old 05-10-2006, 10:18 PM
ChopperHammer666
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Check this link:

https://www.hdforums.com/m_407990/mp.../tm.htm#407990

Old 05-11-2006, 02:00 AM
kpfoster
Stage II

I own an 05 Night Train (3100 mi), just started noticing the squeaky rear suspension. I brought it to my local HD shop, and they lubed it up, but the squeak never went away. I just learned to deal with it. They said it was common with softails and that rear suspension wasn't covered under warranty anyway.

KP

Old 05-12-2006, 12:50 AM
mcpastor
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Heritage Softail with 1,300 miles on it and the suspension creaks/clanks pretty loud. I was prepared for it though. Before I bought my softail I noticed some brand new showroom bikes creaking the same way. When I took my bike in for the 1K checkup, the mechanic said it was the outer shock cans rubbing on the springs. He could adjust (bend?) them for a temporary fix, but it will come back. Guess that's why I got loud pipes! [sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 05-12-2006, 11:20 PM
burnoutjeff
6th Gear

Squeaking Softail shocks has been a problem since day one.
I own a company that makes a component for the Softail shock and I have taken many of them apart in my time.
The problem is the end coil of the spring rubbing on the inside of the can. It is caused from the spring not being ground perfectly straight so as it compresses the spring will 'walk' to one side of the spring perch and rub on the can causing the squeak. The fix, on later model shocks the factory (Showa) installed a teflon sleeve that wrapped around the spring and solved the problem for a while until it wore out. Other than that, I have taken them apart and actually ground some material off at the contact point and reassemble.Spray's will help for a short while, turning the spring can also helps sometimes (as if you were adjusting the preload).
Good luck, otherwise like already mentioned-louder pipes?

Old 09-29-2012, 02:59 PM
JohnB647
6th Gear

I bought my 01 Deuce used with 50k on it. It was quiet for about the first week but now squeaks pretty bad. I sprayed Maxima chain wax into the shocks and that helped a little.

Old 10-09-2012, 12:36 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 815 Likes on 801 Posts

I just spray a little silicone on all of the bushings toward the rear of the shocks that the bolt goes through 2-3 times a yrs. works good and take care of squeak.