Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

09 Fatboy owners - Stage 1

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 09:58 AM
FrankT
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 09 Fatboy owners - Stage 1

Hey guys,
I'm reaching out to all '09 Fatboy owners to get a consensus as to how you upgraded to stage 1, particulary which fuel mgmt system did you use? This is by no means any disrespect to all other HD owners, but I wanted to get the info from those with the same model/year bike as me. I was all set on going with the PCV, however when I took off my seat on my '09 Fatboy for the first time, it seems like it is going to be a royal pain in the a$$ to get the unit to fit. I was then looking into the TMAX (very costly as well as not too comfortable replacing the stock ECM) or the new Screamin Eagle Super race tuner or perhaps just a dealer download. I am planning on going with the V&H BSS pipes and SE air cleaner. I don't plan on doing any mods after that. I just want the bike to sound better, perform better and run cooler. This is very confusing and I am starting to get frustrated. I am spending more time on this rather than riding!.....what is wrong with that! Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.
Frank

Old 05-15-2009, 10:17 AM
ngoti8tor
Outstanding HDF Member

I have an 08 which is the same as the 09. I used a Fuelpak with my V&H pipe and the SE air cleaner. I'm happy with the way mine runs.

Old 05-15-2009, 11:51 AM
gunner065
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too have an '08. I have the V&H BSS with the SE AC but a K&N filter. I have the download and no regrets.

Old 05-15-2009, 12:04 PM
FATBOY777
Cruiser

my bike is going to the dealer tomorrow to get V&H BSL, se air cleaner and the download tune from harley. i have a budget of 1k and all of this including instalation will run 1k. The dealer said this is the way to go so lets see how it turns out.

Old 05-15-2009, 12:12 PM
FrankT
Cruiser

Gunner065, you have the exact setup I'm looking for (even the same color!). Do you have any issues with popping on decel? Also, do you have the standard baffles in your BSS or the quiet ones?

Old 05-15-2009, 02:02 PM
jed1069
Road Master

I have an 09 Fatboy with BSS and Arlen Ness Big Sucker I bought a PC-V from fuelmoto.com. Call them tell them what mods you have it will come with a Map loaded in it. It took me roughly an hour to install it after I got it. Just be patient it will fit you just will have to do some trial and error. I fired the bike up it runs great. I had run it about a 100 miles with no PC-V the engine ticked like crazy when I would shut the bike off. Now no ticking at all I am assuming because the engine is running cooler. Hope this helps.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:53 PM
gunner065
Road Captain

Originally Posted by FrankT
Gunner065, you have the exact setup I'm looking for (even the same color!). Do you have any issues with popping on decel? Also, do you have the standard baffles in your BSS or the quiet ones?
I don't have any issues with decel popping what so ever. I have the standard baffles and love the sound. Originally I had the SE air cleaner, but it started to break down after only 900kms. The rubber started to break down and was being sucked into the motor. Went back to the dealer and they gave me a K&N (which they used previously) and not had a problem since. I would upgrade to the K&N from get go to avoid this problem. By doing a search here you will see that this is a common problem with the SE AC.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:56 PM
FATBOY777
Cruiser

good info on that se air cleaner gunner. ill have to askthe dealer about that tomorrow

Old 05-16-2009, 03:19 AM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

gee i got the thundermax used in the forum for about $450 and that was about less than the PVIII and the dyno tune. replacing the stock ecm is no big deal. when you change your pipes you install the new 02 sensors. I had a PCIII before this last mod and i just could not see spending another $420 for a dyno tune.

Old 05-16-2009, 07:57 AM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

ThunderMax on my '08, as well. No regrets. She runs strong. It wasn't as hard to install as I thought it would be. Using the software, however was a different story. Not quite as intuitive as I would have liked, but there is a lot of help available on this forum and from Zippers' support team.

Quick Reply: 09 Fatboy owners - Stage 1