Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Touch up paint?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 10:13 PM
NightTrainRob
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Touch up paint?

Anyone ever use harley's touch up paint? I was an idiot earlier and got a scratch on my tank, maybe 3in long....

Old 07-04-2009, 10:17 PM
mblackmon
Intermediate

I need touch up paint myself. I live in a small town and am unable to find any. If you find some, let me know, Mike

Old 07-04-2009, 10:20 PM
bksmoky
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I haven't had to use mine yet but I got mine from the dealer. A small bottle was $25.00.

I heard there are some paint places that can make a close match cheaper but I don't know anything more.

Old 07-04-2009, 10:46 PM
NightTrainRob
Tourer

I have a feeling i'll be better off just having my painter fix it right

Old 07-04-2009, 10:53 PM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Alot of how well the touch up works, has to do with the color. I have used vivid black and was able to blend it in and make it very hard to find.

On the black pearl, you can do a pretty decent job, but on the Sun Glo's...Forget about it...I had a dent with cracked paint on the feont fender, and since its also pinstripped, I was unwilling to take it to a painter. I was able to get teh dent out, and taking mytime ( over a 4 week period) I was able to minimize the apperence. Its still there...but it doesn't jump out and bite ya in the ****.

With the Candy Red Sunglo, they paint it with a 3 stage application. But HD sells a touch up kit with only 2 of those stages..Base is a silver, and topcoat is a tinted clear..I must have redone the repair twenty times before I was even close to satisfied with the result. But remember, I was working on a 1 inch diameter area. not a simple scratch.

Old 07-04-2009, 11:02 PM
RocketRocker
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go to Color Rite: http://www.colorrite.com/

They sell all the stages for whatever paint you got and can be looked up via year/make / model to ensure you get the right one. A "paint pen" that matches is about $15 however, you can buy whatever you need.

Old 07-05-2009, 12:29 AM
NightTrainRob
Tourer

well...it is black pearl, I actually tried to buff some of it, and the fine places went away and its actually under the tank emblem where it begins to roll under to the frame, I may try and get a paint pen and then if it doesn't work for me, I'll get my painter to do it, which my painter is Kenny Reynolds...He matched my fenders perfect

Old 12-19-2012, 01:28 PM
HarryJ
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default older bikes

Originally Posted by RocketRocker
Go to Color Rite: http://www.colorrite.com/

They sell all the stages for whatever paint you got and can be looked up via year/make / model to ensure you get the right one. A "paint pen" that matches is about $15 however, you can buy whatever you need.
Appreciate the link, but my bike is a stock '96 heritage softail nostalgia. The guy before me had it 16 years and not a mark on it. I have it 16 days, and scratch the fender puttin on the sissy bar, jerk that I am. Colorite doesn't match paint for models that old. Any other ideas for the '96 Platinum Silver? Thanks, H