Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Super Glide Custom vs Fatboy

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 12:10 PM
doctorgoo
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Super Glide Custom vs Fatboy

Hello, this is my first ever post. I rode crotch rockets back in the late 90's and early 2000's. I rode a co-workers Wide Glide a few months ago and got re-infected with the fever. I've been snooping around on this site for a couple of months now trying to learn as much as I can about Harleys. I'm positively sure that I'm gonna buy one now. Based mainly on appearance, I've narrowed my choices down to 1. FXDC, 1a. Fatboy. Can anyone who has ridden and/or owned both share with me some of the pros/cons of each?

Old 12-02-2009, 02:02 PM
Kojax
Grand HDF Member
Received 139 Likes on 94 Posts

Fatboy lo i just got one

Old 12-02-2009, 02:11 PM
Maimas
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I owned a 2005 FXDCI and I traded it for a 2008 FLSTF. I loved my Super glide, but I wanted something bigger. The super glide handled great and was a perfect bike for me when I decided to get back in the saddle after a very long hiatus. I wish I was able to afford both, because I would have kept it and made it a project bike.

I personally am more comfortable on the fatboy. I like a bigger bike, and It just fits me... Dont know if this helps, just my 2 cents.

Last edited by Maimas; 12-02-2009 at 04:32 PM.
Old 12-02-2009, 03:08 PM
wyndnface
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,131 Likes on 1,055 Posts

Ditto what Maimas said. Owned a 99 super glide handled great ,easy to ride.
Also, wanted something bigger and much more comfortable with a hottie on the back.

Old 12-02-2009, 06:59 PM
Uncle Ernie
Cruiser

I've had the pleasure of owning both bikes. After being bikeless for about 25 years, I purchased a new 2008 FXDC in November 2007. It was perfect for me at the time, but after putting 2k on it, I realized I needed a bigger ride. Don't get me wrong, the Super Glide is a nice machine; it's a great handler and looks good too. But I'm a shade under 6'1" and Mrs. Rubble said I looked like an elephant riding a peanut (a little extreme, but that's sort of what it felt like). So in April 2008 I traded it for a new Fatboy and have never looked back. I still haven't been able to wipe the ****-eating grin from my face when I ride. It's a sweet ride; smooth, comfortable, and a real bad *** look. IMO though, you can't go wrong with either.

Old 12-02-2009, 08:01 PM
C O L E M A N F U
Road Captain

Fatboys are a blank sheet. You can do it up how you like. Solo, 2 up, beach bars, apes..........

Old 12-03-2009, 04:29 AM
FREEFALL
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can afford the Fat Boy, go for it.

Bigger bike and way more comfortable.

S/F
Freefall

Old 12-03-2009, 05:52 AM
Shakeydeal
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 to all that's been said here. Not a fan of Dynas myself. Fatboy all the way.........

Shakey

Old 12-03-2009, 06:47 AM
Rocker_Dan
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by C O L E M A N F U
Fatboys are a blank sheet. You can do it up how you like. Solo, 2 up, beach bars, apes..........
very true as are all softies...

Old 12-03-2009, 08:13 AM
reddog8145
Road Captain
Received 44 Likes on 14 Posts

I had a 2008 FXDC which I part exed for my New Fat Boy. I'm 5'8 and the fxdc fitted fine for me on my own, but two up, which is what I do most of, it felt a bit cramped. The FXCD is quicker, more nimble and better on fuel consumption than the Fat Boy, the latter being heavier. The FXDC is great value for money too. Both bikes have different engines, the Fat Boy having the B motor, which in my opinion looks more clasic.The FB, also feel's more solid on the road. its like comparing a terrier dog and a labrador. My wife also feel's more comfortable on the FB and has told me that being on the back's like being in your own place. My advice is to test drive both then go away and think about it, the Fat Boys nice but more expensive and in the current climate money is a big issue.

Reddog
Manchester UK

Quick Reply: Super Glide Custom vs Fatboy