Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HORRIBLE noise during starting

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 08:04 PM
vascik883
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HORRIBLE noise during starting

While starting, my bike makes a horrible noise. I was told at the stealership that it was the starter kicking back because of low battery voltage. They said they charged it overnight at the dealership, but this did not fix the problem. It occasionally kicks smoke out of the air cleaner. Has anyone experienced this or know what it might be? The bike is only a year an a half old and is riden frequently.

Old 12-08-2009, 08:39 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I get that from time to time. Bike always starts right on the second kickover so I don't pay it much mind.

Old 12-08-2009, 08:44 PM
BoomerBob
Elite HDF Member

Any chance you can make a video with sound so we can hear and see it?

Old 12-08-2009, 08:53 PM
firecwp
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Starter is only designed to spin one way. When it kicks back like that it burns the starter up. New starter should fix this problem along with new battery. Was it sluggish before? Battery should last about three years. That's my take on it anyway. Good luck

Old 12-08-2009, 09:05 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Been experiencing it from time to time as long as I have owned a Harley.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:14 PM
Figstr
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know EXACTLY what you're talking about as I have the same problem. My Fuel Pak was situated in such a way that it wouldn't allow me to put a non-stock seat on. My Indy told me to move it where it would let the seat sit flat. In the process I must have pinched some wires and fried my ECM. Ok, take it to Harley and get a new one put on. They call me and tell me I also have a starter problem and it could be this and that and worst case scenerio was 1100 clams. I stopped listening to the guy at that point and said don't do anything. When I picked up the bike the guy behind the counter said they put "updated" software in the ECM. I pressed for more info but he just kept repeating the "Updated" crap so I left it alone.

My starter makes strange sounds and it sometimes takes a couple to three tries to get it started, especially when hot. I rarely have a problem when it's cold unless the bike sits for a few days (yes, I know it's a crime). Anyway, after the bike sat for a few days at one point, I was going to take it for a spin. The battery sounded like it was dead despite being on a tender all the time. I saw a puff of smoke blow past the bars. I let off the starter button and pushed it again - started right up. I wanted to see where the smoke came from so I shut it down again and restarted. It did the same thing as the first try and that's when I saw the puff of smoke from behind the AC.

A few weeks ago I told my Indy about problems starting and the strange sound the bike makes when starting (spoke to him over the phone about it). Without seeing the bike he believes HD didn't give me the right download. Unfortunately I haven't had the time to run it to my Indy for a definite answer.

Old 12-08-2009, 11:14 PM
SoftailSlim
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Figstr
I know EXACTLY what you're talking about as I have the same problem. My Fuel Pak was situated in such a way that it wouldn't allow me to put a non-stock seat on. My Indy told me to move it where it would let the seat sit flat. In the process I must have pinched some wires and fried my ECM. Ok, take it to Harley and get a new one put on. They call me and tell me I also have a starter problem and it could be this and that and worst case scenerio was 1100 clams. I stopped listening to the guy at that point and said don't do anything. When I picked up the bike the guy behind the counter said they put "updated" software in the ECM. I pressed for more info but he just kept repeating the "Updated" crap so I left it alone.

My starter makes strange sounds and it sometimes takes a couple to three tries to get it started, especially when hot. I rarely have a problem when it's cold unless the bike sits for a few days (yes, I know it's a crime). Anyway, after the bike sat for a few days at one point, I was going to take it for a spin. The battery sounded like it was dead despite being on a tender all the time. I saw a puff of smoke blow past the bars. I let off the starter button and pushed it again - started right up. I wanted to see where the smoke came from so I shut it down again and restarted. It did the same thing as the first try and that's when I saw the puff of smoke from behind the AC.

A few weeks ago I told my Indy about problems starting and the strange sound the bike makes when starting (spoke to him over the phone about it). Without seeing the bike he believes HD didn't give me the right download. Unfortunately I haven't had the time to run it to my Indy for a definite answer.
There is a 'SERVICE BULLETIN M-1231 September 26, 2008' that covers the 06' - 07' starter problems. Your dealer should be well aware of this issue.

Old 12-09-2009, 06:53 AM
vascik883
Advanced

Originally Posted by firecwp
Starter is only designed to spin one way. When it kicks back like that it burns the starter up. New starter should fix this problem along with new battery. Was it sluggish before? Battery should last about three years. That's my take on it anyway. Good luck
Thanks everyone, this sounds exactly like the problem. Yes, the battery always seemed weak to me, like it struggled to turn over. Do ya'll think this will be covered under warranty since it's a fairly new bike?

Old 12-09-2009, 07:53 AM
Just Dave
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

My 07 does that once in a while, usually after I have gotten fuel on the first start, but it always works the second time so I have quit worrying about it. 28k and has not seem to hurt anything.

Old 12-09-2009, 03:56 PM
Softail Girl
Road Master

My '08 was doing something like that as well this summer. I never saw any smoke come out of the air filter but it did the HORRIBLE grinding noise. And, it always always started on the second try.

At first, it was once a week and then it was 3-4 times a day...
I used to brace myself for the noise and people would stare and comment on it. As if I was doing it on purpose!

The mechanics checked the battery and there was no problem there. After much convincing, they ended up changing the starter clutch under warranty and I haven't had the problem once since!

I'm really happy now.

Quick Reply: HORRIBLE noise during starting